Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VITAMINS AFTER GASTRIC SLEEVE?????

On 06/01/2019 at 04:59, KCgirl061 said:

Nope, my surgeon just feels like there is enough reserves during that time that its not necessary and that healing of the stomach is more important. You hear how those Multivitamins can make you sick to your stomach? He doesn't want that happening early on so he has his patients wait.

My surgeon and nutritionist had me start Vitamins a month after surgery for the same reason.

I had vitamin patches but didn't use them right away. I was recovering from surgery and just didn't have the energy to commit to them. It is 100% normal to have low energy after surgery. #1-you had major surgery and your body is taking up extra energy to heal. #2-you're not taking in much because of the type of surgery.

I felt like I got run over by a truck and I felt that way for about a week. The 2nd week, my energy started coming back, but it was kind of a gradual return, one day at a time. I went back to work in the 2nd week, but I'll tell ya, I had to take frequent breaks due to fatigue and even fell asleep at lunch.

Back to your original question: I started chewable vitamins at about week 3 or 4 because when I tried the Patches, I developed an allergic reaction to the adhesive. Everyone is a little different in what they can tolerate/when. So, be prepared to have to try several types of Vitamins and various times of day to take them. My first 2 months was a trial and error of vitamins. I absolutely hated the chalky chewables. The soft-chews weren't much better, but tolerable. The biggest issue was that most of them made me feel sick, dizzy, nauseated. I tried so many kinds, I forgot. I tried taking them before meals, with meals, after meals, in the morning, in the afternoon. Man, I was a crazy mess and some of them made me so sick for a couple of hours that I just could not function. I finally settled on gummies that I'd found at costco and took them in the evening. That was the ONLY type and time that seemed to avoid the sick feeling.

Once my stock of giant-sized gummies was gone, I tried the standard "horse pill" variety of vitamins. I estimate that I was at least 6 months post op before trying the standard vitamins and I sure was nervous when I did, but it seemed to work out just fine. I still take them in the evening and haven't had that queazy sickness ever since the first round of Vitamin experiments.

My surgeon started me on Vitamins 10 days after surgery...

13 minutes ago, jaytissle55 said:

My surgeon started me on Vitamins 10 days after surgery...

THANK YOU!!!

My surgeon said to wait to start until 3 month check up.

My dietician told me to go to Patch MD and buy Patches instead of taking the oral medication. I have also heard others say they take the liquid kind. I'm not sure where to get it in liquid form. I take a LOT of medications. I am very curious how to take these when on the liquid diet.

Who knew that Vitamins could be such an issue, lol Thanks for sharing, lots to consider.

The next day. I did liquid or dissolve tab Vitamins during the first few weeks and went back to regular pills you swallow on stage 3 of the diet.

I was told 1 week for Multivitamin and 3 weeks for the calcium chews.

On 05/31/2019 at 22:59, CESILEYRAE said:

HELLO EVERYONE! I WAS JUST CURIOUS HOW LONG AFTER SURGERY DID YOU START TAKING Vitamins? ??

I started the Patches the next day. So far they work well and also got chewables. Trader Joe’s are great! You can check Patch MD for the multi and energy B12. It’s like $46 for 30 days which is enough until you’ll able to swallow again. You got this!

Remember not to take Magnesium and Iron at the same time, they are both positive ions and compete for thecl same receptors in your body. Just another warning to go with space uron, Calcium, food and fluids out. I DO NOT KNOW how youbstill working Ladies and Dudes all get it shoehorned in, I am pretty well retired and have trouble myself. Seems like I am dragging Fluid and pulls along wherever I go!
Oh well, the Weight loss is worth it the mini- sorrows I guess!

And I do wish my fingers would get thinner, seems like I hit the wrong keys. And I do proofread, before I hit "send" but this SMARTphone corrects to what it thinks I meant. And since I went to the BETA form of the app I can't go back and correct anything anymore.
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Vhhj

Hello