Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose Skin, Saggy Breasts and Hair loss...OH MY!?

Kiley I am also a Buckeye, born and bred,live in Mount Vernon, so almost in the exact,center,a proud veteran of 9 months,had an RNY but many Sleeve and ESG friends, older than dirt (63) but not ready to be counted out,IF ever you want to Talk I am almost always around here! Looking forward to see how your JOURNEY goes! And I do bleed Scarlet and Gray, even had my Surgery at Ohio State, so you can see what I mean. Have a Beautiful and Blessed Day!

And correction, I am 73 not 63, doesn't matter what my SmartPhone said!!!!!

52 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Kiley I am also a Buckeye, born and bred,live in Mount Vernon, so almost in the exact,center,a proud veteran of 9 months,had an RNY but many Sleeve and ESG friends, older than dirt (63) but not ready to be counted out,IF ever you want to Talk I am almost always around here! Looking forward to see how your JOURNEY goes! And I do bleed Scarlet and Gray, even had my Surgery at Ohio State, so you can see what I mean. Have a Beautiful and Blessed Day!

A special shout out to a fellow Buckeye. ;) I appreciate your kind words! :) You have a beautiful and blessed day as well.

Saggy boobs - Well, I had a boob reduction BEFORE WLS, so that was dumb. LOL. I dropped 2 cup sizes so far and the breast reduction came with a lift, so I do have sagging but maybe not as bad as if I hadn't had a reduction prior. They deffo aren't perky anymore, though.

Hair loss - YESSSS. Started at 3 weeks and now at 7 months it is slowing down. Lost about 40% of my hair. Other people did notice, but screw em. It's freaky seeing wads come out, but it's stopping now. I imagine it will come back even lusher than before, lol.

Loose skin - YESSS. I am having plastics. It's a personal option. Some people don't mind it if it doesn't physically interfere with anything, but I want to finish the package and don't consider me to have met my "goals" until I have all the skin off, too. It isn't really bothering me as far as rashes, other than my arms, which I am doing first. The rest I will do in stages over the next few years - no rush. Just a vanity thing personally.

17 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Saggy boobs - Well, I had a boob reduction BEFORE WLS, so that was dumb. LOL. I dropped 2 cup sizes so far and the breast reduction came with a lift, so I do have sagging but maybe not as bad as if I hadn't had a reduction prior. They deffo aren't perky anymore, though.

Hair loss - YESSSS. Started at 3 weeks and now at 7 months it is slowing down. Lost about 40% of my hair. Other people did notice, but screw em. It's freaky seeing wads come out, but it's stopping now. I imagine it will come back even lusher than before, lol.

Loose skin - YESSS. I am having plastics. It's a personal option. Some people don't mind it if it doesn't physically interfere with anything, but I want to finish the package and don't consider me to have met my "goals" until I have all the skin off, too. It isn't really bothering me as far as rashes, other than my arms, which I am doing first. The rest I will do in stages over the next few years - no rush. Just a vanity thing personally.

I heard from my doctor that a lot of people who lose their hair, for whatever reason, when it grows back it's darker and curlier? Don't know how true that is for most who lose it but he said he's seen his share of this happening throughout his career. Honestly, after hearing that I don't feel as nervous about losing my hair. I always wanted dark hair, lol.

On 6/5/2019 at 6:35 AM, catwoman7 said:

the saggy skin isn't ideal, but it is WAY better than being morbidly obese. Most of us can easily hide it -- but you can't hide being obese.

I am SO MUCH happier being normal weight!! I would take temporary Hair loss and saggy skin ANY DAY over being morbidly obese!

I agree with this. Yes, I have saggy skin, saggy boobs. I'm going to have plastics, but just for my own vanity. The only people who see any of that are my bf & I. To literally the rest of the world I look like a normal thin person!

On 6/5/2019 at 6:15 AM, kcf9889 said:

I think the primary reason this subject is bothering me is because I can't shake this "I can't catch a break" feeling. If I end up with loose skin, deflated boobs and thin to no hair, I'm afraid I'll be perceived as unattractive as I was when I was heavy. You know?

Any adult man is going to expect and accept some flaws once you get naked. Just the other morning my bf, who has only known me at a normal weight, was watching me get dressed and asked why I wanted a Tummy Tuck. It didn't seem bad enough, to him, to warrant plastics. We are always our own worst critic.

The thing you have to realize is no one is perfect. My bf is athletic, he runs, he hikes, plays raquetball, multiple times per week. But he also has a deep love for Cookies. :) So I tease him about his sweet tooth, and he teases me about my exercise aversion.

It's cliche, but it's true, confidence is sexy! Even if you don't always feel confident, fake it! Fake it till you make it is a real thing.

Edited by sillykitty

This is what the world sees now. Without a doubt worth the trade off!

IMG_3897.thumb.jpg.a73cc1b131e8f2ef52474e8580052c5a.jpg

IMG_3398.thumb.jpg.5cedf15b6b9c6d8c2cf5caf7c31e39b8.jpg

IMG_3388.thumb.jpg.1da7a2efdf5335f9b563ef64b0f567c7.jpg

On 5/31/2019 at 3:45 PM, kcf9889 said:

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I just recently started my WLS journey and find myself having more and more questions each day. My name is Kiley. I'm 29 (soon to be 30 in August), and hail from Ohio.

This coming week I attend my first support group but would like to get a head start on speaking with those who've already had the surgery or like myself, are in the pre-op period.

You know, it's a funny thing. I'm feeling pretty confident about the surgery itself, but the aftermath is what I'm concerned about. For instance, loose skin, saggy breasts and Hair loss. Has anyone ever experienced any of these and if so, how did you deal with it? Is there anyway at all to prevent these things from happening? I really don't want to spend the rest of my life going under the knife. Any help is appreciated!

I hate to sound vain by asking these questions but alas, I can't help it, lol. 😕

I'm only 14 days post-op so I don't have any long term advice, but I had some of the same concerns prior. After, even this soon after, it just sorta doesn't matter. Your worries are totally valid, but It's IMPOSSIBLE to know how your body will react. Start putting money aside for plastics if it helps alleviate the anxiety. hair grows back. You got this!

You know...

I can't stand y'all perfect legged (@Healthy_life & @Healthy_life2 ) and flat tummy ( @sillykitty ) VETS 😂😂😂

Joking Joking Joking

💙💙💙💙Looking GREAT...💙💙💙💙

🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Edited by GreenTealael

I have loose skin and sagging breast w/ some hairloss (very minimal) but i dont even worry about those things anymore.

I was a bit um... preoccupied with it early on but I realized that the further away from a *perceived* problem I get the less I tend to think about it. I am worrying about other things now 😂😥😳

I'm so glad you brought this up. I'm in the "perfect storm" for Hair loss even before I get surgery (just got approved) and have been freaking out as I just noticed recently...how much scalp is now 'showing' through my hair and I TRIPPED out over it! It wasn't like I gradually noticed it was like holy heck! WHAT HAPPENED. Well, my body decided to dive into menopause early and I've had to endure that for more than 7+ yrs now and I'm on a blood thinner (Coumadin) which also causes some people hair loss.

Then I heard the same thing - that fast Weight loss/WLS often has a side effect of hair loss - was also told by my doctor and the nutritionist that for MANY of the ppl with a large amount of hair loss, it can often be tracked back to a lack of enough daily Protein. I was told to hit 80 grams..I think someone mentioned they were told 100 grams per day. They did acknowledge though that yes, there could be some additional loss but ensuring I get my protein in will help me try to ward off as much as possible.

However, I'll gladly trade my morbid obesity for trying to figure out what to do about my hair. Maybe when I'm closer to goal I won't always feel so overly warm (I'm in TX!)...and could endure a hair piece or something....LOL...I just had a vision of an outdated toupe...I mean....like all the different 'hair pieces'/accessories I see even very young women using (AND I NEVER KNEW!!!). I just sweat more at the thought of something covering my head like that though...LOL

Will just take it as it comes..

12 hours ago, sillykitty said:

I agree with this. Yes, I have saggy skin, saggy boobs. I'm going to have plastics, but just for my own vanity. The only people who see any of that are my bf & I. To literally the rest of the world I look like a normal thin person!

Any adult man is going to expect and accept some flaws once you get naked. Just the other morning my bf, who has only known me at a normal weight, was watching me get dressed and asked why I wanted a Tummy Tuck. It didn't seem bad enough, to him, to warrant plastics. We are always our own worst critic.

The thing you have to realize is no one is perfect. My bf is athletic, he runs, he hikes, plays raquetball, multiple times per week. But he also has a deep love for Cookies. :) So I tease him about his sweet tooth, and he teases me about my exercise aversion.

It's cliche, but it's true, confidence is sexy! Even if you don't always feel confident, fake it! Fake it till you make it is a real thing.

I think your bf sounds amazing and seems to appreciate the gorgeous woman he is with...beautiful inside and out. Your pictures are so inspiring!! I SO hear you on the exercise aversion. The key with me is to be doing something that is fun and burning calories but DO NOT TELL ME I AM EXERCISING. You have to be in covert/stealth mode with me. Get me in the pool and have a fierce game of Water volleyball or just chasing my nephews and nieces around playing 'sharks and minnows'...that is having 'fun'...not nasty old exercising which makes me think of aerobics classes. NO OFFENSE to any of you peeps that can do Zumba, Hot Yoga, etc. and love it. I WISH I did! But...NAH!

14 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

I'm so glad you brought this up. I'm in the "perfect storm" for Hair loss even before I get surgery (just got approved) and have been freaking out as I just noticed recently...how much scalp is now 'showing' through my hair and I TRIPPED out over it! It wasn't like I gradually noticed it was like holy heck! WHAT HAPPENED. Well, my body decided to dive into menopause early and I've had to endure that for more than 7+ yrs now and I'm on a blood thinner (Coumadin) which also causes some people Hair loss.

Then I heard the same thing - that fast Weight loss/WLS often has a side effect of hair loss - was also told by my doctor and the nutritionist that for MANY of the ppl with a large amount of hair loss, it can often be tracked back to a lack of enough daily Protein. I was told to hit 80 grams..I think someone mentioned they were told 100 grams per day. They did acknowledge though that yes, there could be some additional loss but ensuring I get my Protein in will help me try to ward off as much as possible.

However, I'll gladly trade my morbid obesity for trying to figure out what to do about my hair. Maybe when I'm closer to goal I won't always feel so overly warm (I'm in TX!)...and could endure a hair piece or something....LOL...I just had a vision of an outdated toupe...I mean....like all the different 'hair pieces'/accessories I see even very young women using (AND I NEVER KNEW!!!). I just sweat more at the thought of something covering my head like that though...LOL

Will just take it as it comes..

LOL...outdated toupe? I love that's the first thing that came to your mind. You know, I was initially worried about the possibility of losing hair but now I could care less. If I lose it, there's so many options these days. Lots of reasonably priced wigs and of course an absolute plethora of caps and scarves. Plus, my doctor told me the hair will grow back and a lot of time when it does, it comes back darker than before. I always wanted dark hair so this is exciting news to me lol. :)

I'm still a little nervous about the possibility of loose skin and saggy breasts though. I can't seem to wrap my head around that. But it's better than being morbidly obese. :)