Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MINI GASTRIC BYPASS AND ACID REFLUX

has anyone experienced by Bile reflux with the mini and if anyone can tell me your experiences with this surgery and if you lost a lot of weight with it, that would be great. I am scheduled to have it after having a sleeve a few years ago in a month. thanks!

Also if you can tell me any issues you have with foods that are hard to eat after the mini.

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/mini-gastric-bypass-the-good-bad-and-ugly/

BENEFITS OF MINI GASTRIC BYPASS COMPARED TO GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY

1. Shorter operating time.
  2. Less re-routing of the intestines.
  3. One fewer anastomosis (connection of intestines), which in theory means less chance of a complication.
  4. Technically easier for the surgeon.
  5. Similar weight loss and recovery.

ADDITIONAL RISKS WITH MINI-GASTRIC BYPASS COMPARED TO GASTRIC BYPASS

1. Severe acid-reflux. Because the pouch is small and the remainder of the stomach is still connected to the intestines. It is possible for gastric juices to travel down the intestines and into the new pouch.

RECOVERY, PAIN AND COMPLICATIONS

Recovery, pain and complications are very similar to traditional gastric bypass surgery.

thanks

I was a sleeve revision to MGB. I had horrible reflux with the sleeve and unsatisfactory weight loss. I don’t have reflux with the MGB but for unknown reasons I have ulcers. I am at 136 lbs from high weight of 269. This is better than my goal of 150. I am 5’ 6” I eat pretty much anything. chicken, ground beef, steak, turkey. Any kind of vegetable and a little Protein Pasta sometimes. If I take my medicine I am fine. No issues. I had IBS with Constipation and WLS did not improve this. I will be glad to answers any other questions. My revision two years ago this month.

Well an easy answer, and one that was told to me, your duodenum has a natural protection from gastric acid post your surgery, the jejunem , the second part of of your small intestine, does not. Yeah your stomach acid making capacity is greatly reduced but there is still functional gastric tissue left. And like the commercial from my adolescence for Brylcream hair cream " A little dab will do ya!." doesn't take much to start an intestinal wildfire in there.
And you may end up like me, on Sucralfate for the foreseeable future! Every 6 hours, 6am, noon, 6pm, midnight so I am lucky to get 5-6 hours sleep nightly.

17 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Well an easy answer, and one that was told to me, your duodenum has a natural protection from gastric acid post your surgery, the jejunem , the second part of of your small intestine, does not. Yeah your stomach acid making capacity is greatly reduced but there is still functional gastric tissue left. And like the commercial from my adolescence for Brylcream hair cream " A little dab will do ya!." doesn't take much to start an intestinal wildfire in there.
And you may end up like me, on Sucralfate for the foreseeable future! Every 6 hours, 6am, noon, 6pm, midnight so I am lucky to get 5-6 hours sleep nightly.

Do you take liquid or tablet form of Sucralfate? I have to get back on it.

Tablet, my cheap PartD drug coverer, Silver Scripts, won't pay for liquid, so I dissolve, stir and drink the slurrey down, about as tasty as drinking white flour paste. Dr Noria, my surgeon's partner who does my endoscopies, Dr Needleman my actual Surgeon and one of the Nurse-Practioners, Valerie, all gave, me a script for the same thing, I now have 253 in bottles, Wal-Mart Pharmacy called to remind it was time for a refill of another 120, now where do they expect me to keep these? Now I know why some people sell their meds, these are cluttering up my pill dresser. Yeah I have one of those, top drawer is current meds , second drawer is Miralax, Benfiber and 1 package of GENEPRO. The Gold Standard 100% whey isolate was going there too, got it on sale at Wal-Mart for $3.00, joke is on me, the individual envelopes are strawberry, not plain. Imagine what it would have been like if I stirred into Soup or broth!
And the bottom drawer is inactive meds, nope no opiods, I still have Norco up in the active, but I have to be backed up against the wall in pain, it constipates me so freely. Sometime I will relate the Trek to the Milk and Molasses Enema, really harder to live through than my actual surgery, nobody wants to be entered on records as" Little Old Lady full of S***", pretty darn demeaning in the ER . Hated them knowing I didn't have my act together FECAL-wise!

Frustra8 - I am still too young for Medicare. No insurance right now. Pay cash for my thyroid medicine. Will continue to pay cash because it was always higher with drug coverage. I hope to delay the journey to Medicare as long as I can. I feel your pain and wish things were better for you.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:29 AM, NYCGAL000 said:

has anyone experienced by Bile reflux with the mini and if anyone can tell me your experiences with this surgery and if you lost a lot of weight with it, that would be great. I am scheduled to have it after having a sleeve a few years ago in a month. thanks!

Also if you can tell me any issues you have with foods that are hard to eat after the mini.

I had severe acid reflux before I had my mini. I had a hiatal hernia too. That was fixed and my mini was done last year. I have since lost 120 lbs. I don't have any acid reflux, none at all. I may have had one small episode of bile reflux last fall but I'm not sure. It didn't last but 10 minutes and went away with a few swigs of mylanta. I don't take any medication for reflux but I'm prepared to take Nexium if need be. They sell it pretty cheap at costco and I have a friend who gets bile reflux after she had her gallbladder out. She said Nexium works very well.

As for eating, I can eat anything. I don't dump, I don't crush pills. I just eat very small amounts of food 5 or 6 times a day and stay on my healthy diet. I had a small piece of cake at a wedding and a cadbury egg at Easter but I have lost my sweet tooth so I don't crave that stuff anymore. It was really satisfying to allow myself a treat and find that I didn't want to finish it all. I just was not interested. I really love meat, veggies and fruit. I drink a Protein Shake every morning. I use a straw daily. I take my chewable vitamins and so far I have no complains. This was the best decision I ever made.

My philosophy is that nothing is perfect. I can either deal with the health issues that come with being obese along with how uncomfortable I was and that I hated my appearance OR I can deal with the very few health issues that might come with WLS. So far, it is one episode of something (maybe bile reflux) and a lot of extra skin. I"m good with that trade off.

I hope that helps!

Nothing is Perfect but Life Is Good, you know ,we need a pkacque saying that, don't we?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your comments!

For a couple of years now there have been reports of the danger of heartburn drugs/PPI blockers like zantac that are commonly used to help with the side effects of gastric surgery.

Today Canada officially recalled these drugs due to their link to cancer.

Personally, I am completely dependent on these drugs due to the acid reflux side effect of my gastric sleeve. If you use these prescriptions daily, I strongly urge you to contact your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/70989a-eng.php?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=77363999&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8zLyVDfQD8I8hCu3-XeY7Fh97rFTkpD6v27F37TI29RzLKaNdKiDz_TiM1BKOzRo_NfiS6IqmuYpTuPc_HRfMUlmpaxA&_hsmi=77363999
image-0.00596046447753906.jpg

I don't take Zantac, Ranitidine does not work for me. I do take Omezperole and it works well but I don't have to take it every day. Tums actually works the best when I need it.

I'm scheduled to have a MGB surgery on November 26th and have been worried about acid reflux. Thanks so much for all the info this forum has given me.