Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is lap band that bad?

37 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

There's numerous cases of bad lap bands and why surgeons don't do them anymore.

Why would you put something artificial in your body? A foreign object?

There's two amazing procedures now with so many good stories out there.

Sleeve VSG or RNY BYPASS are the main 2..

I started with BMI 43 I'll be having bypass in 20 days cannot wait!

*don't give people false hope either*

Lap band is simply out dated obsolete technology!

Like why use 3g when theirs 4g and 5g out there :D

Lol. Good for you. Congrats! But how is bypass not considered outdated versus the band? It has been around for just as long. And how won't VSG and RNY also not be considered "outdated" one day? Then, you'll be stuck with outdated technology lol.

In all seriousness. I think It is a matter of preference. There's no false hope in getting the band. You have to know what you want and what works for you. The band simply requires more maintenance plus the will to change your habits. Don't do that and you are looking at failure.

Although I'm between the band and VSG (and getting consultations for both), I'm leaning towards the band right now because I believe it is a good way to start out before committing to another permanent type of procedure that I might regret not being able to undo. If I keep the weight off with it then I won't have to risk the others. My personal preference is to get something that can be reversed. Just like you said "outdated" technology -- well one day (maybe in the very distant future though) I believe there will be yet another procedure that comes out that is going to be better than VSG and RNY which could be reversed. And at least I may qualify and have an opportunity to get it if need be.

Edited by gn3476

I am having a revision from band to bypass this month. I started out okay with my band, lost some weight and had to make some big changes about the food I ate (ie. eating what I could eat versus what I was supposed to eat). After about 10 years I started getting some serious nausea and reflux as well as more episodes of getting stuck, so I am revising. My x-rays don't show a slip, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a small slip in there when they go in.

I am under a 40 BMI and I qualify for bypass, but I do have significant obstructive sleep apnea, so you would likely need some co-morbidities to qualify if you are under a 40 BMI.

I think a lot of it comes down to whether or not eating large portions is your biggest problem, if it is, you'll likely do well with the band. I never ate HUGE portions as it was, so I don't think the band was the best choice from me, I just didn't want to go as far as cutting up my stomach at the time. I think my food choices as well as my PCOS have had a large part in my weight, so now that I have the eating down right and I'm still hovering in the morbidly obese category, my surgeon and I decided the VSG is not right either and the bypass will combat my PCOS the best.

Ultimately, you and your surgeon will be able to make the best informed decision for you. Less and less surgeons are performing the band at all, so that may play in your decision as well. In fact, my band is no longer in production, so if it has failed or were to ever fail, I have no choice but to have it removed as replacement parts aren't offered anymore. Good luck with your decision, I applaud you for doing your research before making a final choice!

4 hours ago, jennifer47 said:

Wow. Hey y'all I posted that back in May.. I'm getting the bypass in a month.

Congrats and good for you! Hoping your surgery goes well.

Lol I didn’t notice that. But on this board you seem to get a lot of people trying to discourage others without clear reasons why they are against something...regardless what someone chooses we’re all faced with making a very big decision and should support each other instead of misinforming , shaming, and being critical if someone doesn’t do things your way. Just my experience here so far...

Edited by gn3476

I've had a lap band for 10 years. All went well for the first 7. Now I have NO fill in it and still get food stuck in it constantly and can only eat what my doctor calls "squishy" food, so my weight is creeping back on because those are the higher calorie less nutritious food.

So because of the constant sliming and vomiting I am having the lap band removed in November with a revision to a bypass and I can't wait! Evidently about 30% of people with lap bands over 10 years old have problems with them and many doctors will no longer do them.

5 hours ago, JRT Mom said:

I've had a lap band for 10 years. All went well for the first 7. Now I have NO fill in it and still get food stuck in it constantly and can only eat what my doctor calls "squishy" food, so my weight is creeping back on because those are the higher calorie less nutritious food.

So because of the constant sliming and vomiting I am having the lap band removed in November with a revision to a bypass and I can't wait! Evidently about 30% of people with lap bands over 10 years old have problems with them and many doctors will no longer do them.

This is pretty darn common, which are also the reasons I had mine removed and had a revision. You're right, very few people keep their lap band their entire life without having a revision. The band erodes into the stomach and causes a lot of problems. Regain is also an issue. My doctor said very few doctors will do the band anymore because of all of the side effects. It's just not the best decision for weight loss. It was a huge waste of money. I'm very happy with my revision, and excited for you to also have a better life without the band. Best wishes to you.

I was banded 11 years ago and was very successful with the band for a long time. I lost 250 pounds and kept most of that off for many years. Now, in the last few years, my band has gone from being my friend to at times my enemy. Lots of acid reflux, waking up with stomach bile in my mouth, and also not some days I can eat anything and other days I can barely sip Water. It has gotten to the point where I have started thinking "what can I eat" rather than "what should I eat"? I have also gained back 100 pounds of the 250 I lost. Technically, by the numbers, I am still considered a "lap band success story." And if you asked me several years ago I would have highly recommended the band. But now I wouldn't. Needless to say, I am starting the process of having it removed and strongly considering converting to RNY.