Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First appt with personal trainer any tips?

I'm 2 months post gastric bypass and have been sedentary for years. Since the surgery I have been walking every morning, and I decided to join a gym! I have never been to a gym before. Tonight is my first appointment with the personal Trainer. Any tips, suggestions, advice? I feel kinda self conscious.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Good for you making this decision! I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and I see the personal trainers working with people and my best advice is to tell the trainer that this is your first time getting into an exercise routine and let them know what you are and are not willing to do so they don't make you try to overdo it on your first time out and frustrate you and prevent you from going back. Good luck!

I think you are making a good transition from sedentary yo active by walking. Start out sliwly, be kind to youself. I'm sure the trainer will not request something far beyond your capabilities, maybe a little challenge to see "what you are capable of" but they won't hurt you, they went people to continue to come in.
Smile a lot, try to be obliging, act,like you are thrilled to he,there and have this chance to get better, get stronger and,more healthy

I recommend total, radical honesty and candor. Tell them everything. Tell them you’re scared, intimidated, new to gyms, prone to being turned off, etc. Tell them why you are there and what you want out of it. Tell them what hurts and what’s hard. You will get out of this what you put into it, and candor is the first step.

Good for you making this decision! I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and I see the personal trainers working with people and my best advice is to tell the trainer that this is your first time getting into an exercise routine and let them know what you are and are not willing to do so they don't make you try to overdo it on your first time out and frustrate you and prevent you from going back. Good luck!
Thank you, GradyCat! Appreciate the advice.

I recommend total, radical honesty and candor. Tell them everything. Tell them you’re scared, intimidated, new to gyms, prone to being turned off, etc. Tell them why you are there and what you want out of it. Tell them what hurts and what’s hard. You will get out of this what you put into it, and candor is the first step.
Thank you, anaxila. That's good advice.

I think you are making a good transition from sedentary yo active by walking. Start out sliwly, be kind to youself. I'm sure the trainer will not request something far beyond your capabilities, maybe a little challenge to see "what you are capable of" but they won't hurt you, they went people to continue to come in.
Smile a lot, try to be obliging, act,like you are thrilled to he,there and have this chance to get better, get stronger and,more healthy
Thanks Frustr8!