Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op to Post-Op - my recent journey

Prior to my surgery, I had to attend one general informational session, one support group, one psychological assessment, got clearances from a heart doctor, a pulmonologist, and my PCP, and attended a 3-hour seminar on what to eat during each phase of the process.

I started my pre-op diet on May 15, and follow the diet to a "T" -- twelve days of the following (no more, no less):

• 1 cup low-fat Soup (cream or tomato)
  • 1 cup veggies (carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, or iceberg lettuce), with optional 1-2 tbsp fat-free dressing
  • ½ cup of each of the following: sugar-free pudding, sugar-free applesauce, fat-free yogurt, and oatmeal.
  • 3 Protein Shakes
  • 48-64 oz. Water

The doctor said the pre-op diet was to reduce the fat around my liver, but it had some great psychological benefits as well. I savored every bite I took, took my time to eat and enjoy it, used smaller utensils and plates. Surprisingly this filled me up, thanks to the Protein shakes and yogurt. I went to a restaurant with family and ordered only water, I brought my own meals to barbecues with friends and did not cheat once. It felt very empowering! Also a bit frustrating as my friends tried to push their food on me -- "Are you sure you don't want to try this? It's really good. One bite won't mess up your diet." I sat there very happy with my soup and salad, and finally shut them up by asking if they wanted to try my delicious iceberg lettuce and cream of Tomato Soup.

The final day of pre-op (the day before surgery) was Clear Liquids only. I drank a gallon+ of water, and ate about 4 sugar-free Jello cups. I did go to bed hungry that night but happy to do so because I knew what was coming next.

My husband and I are avid boaters with lots of friends in the boating community who we spend most evenings and weekends with. Two days before my surgery, we had 7 of my girlfriends on our boat and one of them took a group photo. There they all were looking cute in their bikinis, and there I was looking fat and frumpy in my t-shirt and jean shorts. Any nerves or qualms I felt about the surgery were instantly gone when I saw the photo. I was ready!

The surgery itself on May 28 went well. It took about 2 hours, and my surgeon also repaired a hiatal hernia. I did have one problem in the recovery room. Apparently my body can't handle opioids very well, and every time I pushed the pump for more pain medicine I would fall asleep and then quit breathing. I had a dedicated nurse who was closely monitoring this. She quickly contacted my surgeon who recommended a dose of Narcan to reverse the effects of the opioids, and then ordered only manual doses of pain meds. If it weren't for the constant care of the recovery nurse, it could have been a bad situation.

I spent one night in the hospital, where they encouraged me to walk the halls, and even refused to discharge me until I did so. I took and passed a second leak test the 2nd day. They sent me home with an abdominal binder (#gamechanger), a pill crusher, and prescriptions for pain, nausea, cramps, and reflux. I have 6 purple incisions on my belly -- they aren't bruised, the glue they used is purple. It feels like a scab, and will fall off on their own in 1-2 weeks. I am up and walking around, even up and down stairs, although more than about 8 minutes at a time is exhausting and painful. But each time gets easier.

Tomorrow I start the puree phase of my post-op diet. Protein shakes, applesauce, pudding, cream of wheat, yogurt. Nothing with anything but a smooth consistency, so I can puree canned fruits & veggies, fish, etc. Twenty days of that, then on to soft foods. At 6 weeks I will no longer have restrictions but plan to eat most of the same (eggs, fish, lean chicken, veggies, etc.).

Thanks to everyone here who have shared their stories, challenges and victories. It really has been helpful for me, and I'm sure many others.

Edited by Coleslaw

I am so glad your surgery went well! Did your doctor tell you how much to walk? Mine told me to walk but wasnt clear how much..

I cannot wait until I am at the pureed stage, my surgery date was 5/20 and I have 2 weeks left of "no bumps no lumps". But I really miss tuna lol

7 hours ago, Peachgodd said:

I am so glad your surgery went well! Did your doctor tell you how much to walk? Mine told me to walk but wasnt clear how much..

I cannot wait until I am at the pureed stage, my surgery date was 5/20 and I have 2 weeks left of "no bumps no lumps". But I really miss tuna lol

No, both the surgeon and the nurses just said to walk as much as you possibly can. I don't get too far at one time before the pain starts to kick in, so I try to do mini-walks throughout the day. According to my doctor, the "no bumps no lumps" stage is the pureed foods. For me that phase is Day 3 to 20 post-op. Today I plan to puree some tuna with fat-free mayo in my food processor. I am not allowed to have more than 2 oz. of food at one time.

My recommended meal plan for the day is below. It's only my first day on the puree, so we will see how it goes.

• 4 tbsp. c. cream of wheat
  • 10-12 oz. Water
  • 1 Protein Shake
  • 10-12 oz. water
  • 2 tbsp. pureed tuna with fat-free mayo
  • 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
  • 10-12 oz. water
  • 1 Protein shake
  • 10-12 oz. water
  • 2 tbsp. pureed chicken
  • 2 tbsp. pureed green Beans
  • 10-12 oz. water
  • 2 tbsp. low-fat cottage cheese

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

Sounds like you're doing GREAT

💙 CONGRATULATIONS 💙

Thank you! I was lucky not to suffer from severe gas pains.

11 hours ago, Coleslaw said:

Prior to my surgery, I had to attend one general informational session, one support group, one psychological assessment, got clearances from a heart doctor, a pulmonologist, and my PCP, and attended a 3-hour seminar on what to eat during each phase of the process.

I started my pre-op diet on May 15, and follow the diet to a "T" -- twelve days of the following (no more, no less):

The doctor said the pre-op diet was to reduce the fat around my liver, but it had some great psychological benefits as well. I savored every bite I took, took my time to eat and enjoy it, used smaller utensils and plates. Surprisingly this filled me up, thanks to the Protein shakes and yogurt. I went to a restaurant with family and ordered only Water, I brought my own meals to barbecues with friends and did not cheat once. It felt very empowering! Also a bit frustrating as my friends tried to push their food on me -- "Are you sure you don't want to try this? It's really good. One bite won't mess up your diet." I sat there very happy with my Soup and salad, and finally shut them up by asking if they wanted to try my delicious iceberg lettuce and cream of Tomato Soup.

The final day of pre-op (the day before surgery) was Clear Liquids only. I drank a gallon+ of water, and ate about 4 sugar-free Jello cups. I did go to bed hungry that night but happy to do so because I knew what was coming next.

My husband and I are avid boaters with lots of friends in the boating community who we spend most evenings and weekends with. Two days before my surgery, we had 7 of my girlfriends on our boat and one of them took a group photo. There they all were looking cute in their bikinis, and there I was looking fat and frumpy in my t-shirt and jean shorts. Any nerves or qualms I felt about the surgery were instantly gone when I saw the photo. I was ready!

The surgery itself on May 28 went well. It took about 2 hours, and my surgeon also repaired a hiatal hernia. I did have one problem in the recovery room. Apparently my body can't handle opioids very well, and every time I pushed the pump for more pain medicine I would fall asleep and then quit breathing. I had a dedicated nurse who was closely monitoring this. She quickly contacted my surgeon who recommended a dose of Narcan to reverse the effects of the opioids, and then ordered only manual doses of pain meds. If it weren't for the constant care of the recovery nurse, it could have been a bad situation.

I spent one night in the hospital, where they encouraged me to walk the halls, and even refused to discharge me until I did so. I took and passed a second leak test the 2nd day. They sent me home with an Abdominal binder (#gamechanger), a pill crusher, and prescriptions for pain, nausea, cramps, and reflux. I have 6 purple incisions on my belly -- they aren't bruised, the glue they used is purple. It feels like a scab, and will fall off on their own in 1-2 weeks. I am up and walking around, even up and down stairs, although more than about 8 minutes at a time is exhausting and painful. But each time gets easier.

Tomorrow I start the puree phase of my post-op diet. Protein Shakes, applesauce, pudding, cream of wheat, yogurt. Nothing with anything but a smooth consistency, so I can puree canned fruits & veggies, fish, etc. Twenty days of that, then on to soft foods. At 6 weeks I will no longer have restrictions but plan to eat most of the same (eggs, fish, lean chicken, veggies, etc.).

Thanks to everyone here who have shared their stories, challenges and victories. It really has been helpful for me, and I'm sure many others.

It is so refreshing to hear your story because the process has been as positive for me as it has for you. We tend to not share when everything is going smoothly. The best of luck to you on this new exciting journey.

Hey!

How did the pureed go down?

This is a really interesting thread as they just want us to do a 1200 cal diet... not much guidance and i admit I'm struggling to stay strict. I may try this pre op program... thank you!

14 hours ago, Peachgodd said:

Hey!

How did the pureed go down?

Pretty well. It stayed down, so that's good! I started with cream of wheat; it was OK. Then I tried a tuna pouch pureed with a bit of fat-free mayo and some Pickle Juice. It was yummy but I could only handle about ¾ of a tablespoon. Next up was fat-free, lactose-free yogurt (Siggi's brand); it was the easiest by far. I ate a whole tablespoon. All of the above made me feel full. I had to cut my Protein Shakes down to 4 oz. from 8 oz. I find that broth (fat-free, low sodium) gives me a fuller feeling than Water and is easier for my stomach to handle than water (not sure why).

I am struggling to get enough water/clear liquids in a day. My doc says 48-64 oz. but I've managed at best only 32 oz. in one day. Today (Day 4) is going a bit better so I'm hopeful I get in at least 48 oz.

13 hours ago, MFaulk3 said:

This is a really interesting thread as they just want us to do a 1200 cal diet... not much guidance and i admit I'm struggling to stay strict. I may try this pre op program... thank you!

I added up all of my calories in my pre-op diet, during which I used milk as a mixer for two of the three Protein Shakes, plus the pudding. It was 900 calories / day and 125 g. Protein / day. I promise I was not hungry. I lost 9 pounds in 13 days (doctor expected a 7-lb. loss). I split it up like this:

• Wake-up time to 11:30-ish a.m. - one to two bottles of Water (16-32 oz.)
  • Noon-ish - ½ cup oatmeal, 1 Protein Shake with milk
  • 12:30-3 p.m. - one to two bottles of water (16-32 oz.)
  • 3 p.m. - ½ cup unsweetened applesauce, 1 protein shake with water
  • 3-7 p.m. - two to three bottles of water (32-48 oz.)
  • 7 p.m. - 1 cup Soup, 1 cup veggies, 1 tbsp. fat-free dressing, ½ cup pudding
  • 7-10 p.m. - two to three bottles of water (32-48 oz.)
  • 10 p.m. - ½ cup yogurt, 1 protein shake with milk

This worked great for me and my lifestyle. By spreading it out and drinking a gallon+ of water daily, I wasn't hungry or tempted to cheat. I tried to stop drinking water after 10 p.m. as there was a lot of getting up during the night to pee.

Now for the physical part...

I have six incisions -- five on my belly (sleeve) and one just below my left breast (hiatal hernia repair). All were closed using surgical glue. It's a purple glue, so it looks like I'm completely bruised up in those areas but I'm not. Five of the six are fine, no pain, no itching. One of them, and I presume it was the one where most of the surgical activity took place, is sore as hell. Burns, stings, very uncomfortable. There are no signs of infection, and when I called the doctor he said it was just the nerve endings expressing their discomfort at being severed. I am using lidocaine Patches (Icy Hot) around the incision but not on the incision itself. It helps some. I also wear an abdominal binder. It keeps anything from rubbing the sites, but it starts to annoy the skin after a while so I am taking it off every few hours and letting my belly hang out to breathe. I can walk easily with no assistance, and getting in and out of chairs, bed, is easier each day. I have to remember to use my legs and elbows for leverage. Stairs are not a problem. But the more I walk, the more that one incision bothers me and I must lie down without moving for 10-15 mins before it goes away.

Other than that, I feel pretty good. No vomiting or dumping. I had my first BM this morning with no issues. A little gas here and there, but not as much as I had expected. I'm not getting enough sleep. I stopped the prescription pain meds and just use liquid Tylenol (PM at bedtime) and the anti-cramping pills. When it wears off, I wake up. I usually fall asleep on my back, then shift to a side or stomach position. I can't do that now, so I stay awake and try to nap during the day to make up sleep.fullsizeoutput_2c80.thumb.jpeg.89bd4ede652da4f7e9a5919654ad6341.jpeg

Wow, purple glue! Looks good!

The doctor said the pre-op diet was to reduce the fat around my liver, but it had some great psychological benefits as well. I savored every bite I took, took my time to eat and enjoy it, used smaller utensils and plates. Surprisingly this filled me up, thanks to the Protein shakes and yogurt. I went to a restaurant with family and ordered only Water, I brought my own meals to barbecues with friends and did not cheat once. It felt very empowering! Also a bit frustrating as my friends tried to push their food on me -- "Are you sure you don't want to try this? It's really good. One bite won't mess up your diet." I sat there very happy with my Soup and salad, and finally shut them up by asking if they wanted to try my delicious iceberg lettuce and cream of Tomato Soup.
I spent one night in the hospital, where they encouraged me to walk the halls, and even refused to discharge me until I did so. I took and passed a second leak test the 2nd day. They sent me home with an Abdominal binder (#gamechanger), a pill crusher, and prescriptions for pain, nausea, cramps, and reflux. I have 6 purple incisions on my belly -- they aren't bruised, the glue they used is purple. It feels like a scab, and will fall off on their own in 1-2 weeks. I am up and walking around, even up and down stairs, although more than about 8 minutes at a time is exhausting and painful. But each time gets easier.
Tomorrow I start the puree phase of my post-op diet. Protein Shakes, applesauce, pudding, cream of wheat, yogurt. Nothing with anything but a smooth consistency, so I can puree canned fruits & veggies, fish, etc. Twenty days of that, then on to soft foods. At 6 weeks I will no longer have restrictions but plan to eat most of the same (eggs, fish, lean chicken, veggies, etc.).
It's funny to hear the difference in procedures from patient to patient. I had my surgery on June 13th and am 2 days post OP. Prior to my surgery I was in a strict liquid diet for 14 days then a clear liquid diet the day before surgery. I bought a bariatric binder online however, my doctor does not recommend wearing them long term. I thought that was strange because, it feels pretty good to wear and have that support. I am barely able to drink much of my Protein Shake today and wonder how in the world I'm suppose to get 64 oz of liquid in me. I take my bandaid off today and am anxious to see what they look like.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

It is interesting how differently the surgeons pre op diets are. I am drinking loads of Water, fresh vegetables, keeping it around 1200 calories. Doing my best.. Two weeks and 1 day!!! Acck... surgery July 1st!

I had a preop liquid diet for 3WEEKS... burnie was told that's bcus my BMI was over 50 and my liver was large