Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Days Post Op - Ate Cottage Cheese

On 05/31/2019 at 15:01, Purpledva said:

49Nash,
I am so proud of you.
You get to have [emoji478] and some real food(sigh).
If I look at another Protein Shake I will lose IT!
Just playing. I'm day 5 in this thing we call liquid diet and would [emoji171] some Soup right about now. But surgery is Monday, June 3rd. So I gotta cool it. [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you!! Good luck on Monday!! The good part is I had zero appetite (and still don’t) so the worst of it after surgery is head hunger

Considering a lot of programs (including my own) allow cottage cheese at 1 week post op, I don’t see why it’s a big deal. Some people here need to take a chill pill.

Even though the surgery is performed by different surgeons, it’s still the same surgery. Something that is recommended in some programs, isn’t going to be dangerous for others who have different rules. Of course I, like others here, recommend following instructions given. However, if you’re going to do things a little bit differently, you’ll be fine as long as you use common sense

1 hour ago, VeeAurora said:

However, if you’re going to do things a little bit differently, you’ll be fine as long as you use common sense

You can't say that with certainty,

Some people are fairly under prepared and researched when it comes to their post op diets, they do not understand the risks of complications and how pushing forward with foods could risk their recovery and surgery.

It's not hard to follow the guidelines, its only for a short period of time. Trusted the doctor to do the surgery? Then extend that trust to their post op guidelines. If someone desperately feels they can't another Protein Shake or Soup after a week or two, see the doctor, see the nutritionist - ask for safe alternatives, seek permission to progress.

I don't know about anyone else but pre my procedure...if ever I was dieting, I often found one cheat meal, became a cheat day, became a cheat week and before i knew it months had passed and I would find myself heavier than ever. It's a slippery slope, some people do not moderate well, essentially cheat or tweak once, becomes all that much easier tomorrow or the another day and cheating or tweaking becomes worse.

Edited by Hop_Scotch

I love the Bone Broth. The chicken one I have tastes like roasted chicken. Delish! I usually sip it from a mug.

I'm still a number of months out from surgery but am worried about actual versus head hunger. I've been practicing with Protein Shakes and think I can handle the soft/liquid diet, but there is still that "what if..."

18 hours ago, ResilientOne said:

I am 10 days post op and was placed on stage 2 immediately after being discharge on day 1. I had cottage cheese (less than 1 oz) on day 3. I chewed well and took tiny bites, and it settled well. I had to burp a lot after, but no discomfort or pain. I was relieved! I've been eating Jello-O, broth, Soups, and cottage cheese most days. MY doctor said I can eat anything my little pouch likes--including spicy food. So I add lime juice and hot sauce to all of my broths and Soups and thankfully it settles well too.

All of that to say, I'm with Sonya on this too! FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S PLAN. If you're not sure, CALL THEM, EMAIL THEM, BUG THEM...that's what they're here for. Don't be afraid, just follow the plan, communicate and explore to find out what works for YOU. :)

WHAT KIND OF SOUPS ARE YOU EATING? IM SCARED TO TRY ANYTHING LOL

On 5/31/2019 at 8:26 PM, CESILEYRAE said:

WHAT KIND OF Soups ARE YOU EATING? IM SCARED TO TRY ANYTHING LOL

I've had Tomato bisque and blended chicken noddle Soup. So good! I've tried both from Panera too and they're delicious. Overpriced, but yummy!

On 5/31/2019 at 3:35 PM, VeeAurora said:

Considering a lot of programs (including my own) allow cottage cheese at 1 week post op, I don’t see why it’s a big deal. Some people here need to take a chill pill.

Even though the surgery is performed by different surgeons, it’s still the same surgery. Something that is recommended in some programs, isn’t going to be dangerous for others who have different rules. Of course I, like others here, recommend following instructions given. However, if you’re going to do things a little bit differently, you’ll be fine as long as you use common sense

Thank you Vee. I had to step away from this thread (and the site) for a solid day because wtf. I guess I know better than to post now. I'm the only one that knows my body & what it's feeling ya know? I'm at 500 calories or less a day. I'm drinking Water non-stop and I'm real happy for everyone that has zero hunger but 50 calories of Soup wasn't doing much for me.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:26 PM, CESILEYRAE said:

WHAT KIND OF Soups ARE YOU EATING? IM SCARED TO TRY ANYTHING LOL

I've had Tomato bisque, broccoli cheddar, chicken tortilla (all Panera via grocery store & all blended). They all went down just fine. The tomato is the most risqué so far on my stomach. But also, nothing really seems to be bothering my stomach & I feel fine. If you don't feel like you want to try it, I wouldn't.

I'm not judging. I ambien eat at night, I don't even know I'm doing it. My team is well aware of this. At 6 days post op, I was eating a slice of pizza at 1 am. I contacted my dietician, because she is on fb and accessible to us at anytime. I was told I was probably fine and if it was going to sit right I would have probably thrown up (which I didn't per my husband), now a few nights later i apparently ate some popcorn, and that did come back up- I woke up for that! And found the bag next to my bed. I called my surgeons office that following week, left a message and no one got back with me, and when I spoke with him at my 6 week he was pretty confident I was fine and had done no damage. Now, I do have a stomach of steel, so not everyone is the same. But I've been sleeved and bypassed in a 17 month span. Other then eating a little fast and frothing, I have had no issues and transitioned quicker in stages with bypass because I felt comfortable. If I had an issue I backed off. I don't recommend everyone do that, but I know my body and what I can handle.

On 05/31/2019 at 06:55, FluffyChix said:

With all due respect. You are a gastric bypass. The OP is a VSG. From my observation in the US, most VSG patients have a MUCH longer time on liquids and purees than us bypassers.

Gastric you are on each stage for two weeks- my surgeon did both my sleeve then my bypass 17 months after my sleeve- and it was the same same diet, for the same length of time- 2 weeks each stage

13 hours ago, Mj77803 said:
On 5/31/2019 at 6:55 AM, FluffyChix said:

With all due respect. You are a gastric bypass. The OP is a VSG. From my observation in the US, most VSG patients have a MUCH longer time on liquids and purees than us bypassers.

Gastric you are on each stage for two weeks- my surgeon did both my sleeve then my bypass 17 months after my sleeve- and it was the same same diet, for the same length of time- 2 weeks each stage

Not mine. :)

Fluffy Chix I NEVER realized you had a sleeve first, just knew about your very successful RNY.

16 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Fluffy Chix I NEVER realized you had a sleeve first, just knew about your very successful RNY.

No. I am an RNYer. I did not have a sleeve first. Have only had 1 surgery.

But I know my doc's post op plan for her RNYs and VSGs are very different.