Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, after almost a 6 month process I was finally sleeved yesterday 5/29! Im so excited! I don't feel any hunger & I can barely get any Water down before feeling full. I woke up from surgery extremely drugged up, a little nauseous for an hour, no pain (just feels like a did a bunch of sit ups.) I cant stay asleep for more than an hour and I’ve been peeing all that IV stuff out over and over and over again. My surgeon wants me drinking premier Premier Protein, but since Im lactose in tolerant I feel my newly smaller stomach will not hold it in or make me feel sick 😰 How was everyone else’s surgery experience? Are foods sensitivities pre op increased post op?

it's just a liquid that goes right through you, so your stomach will be fine with it volume-wise. If you're lactose intolerant, though, that could be an issue. There ARE some lactose-free Protein Shakes out there, though.

I use GNC Lean shakes (pre-made). They're lactose-free and taste great.

Congratulations on a successful surgery.

I have no incite on lactose shakes but wanted to say that drinking will get easier. Yesterday was one month after sleeve and my surgery went well no complications. Glad to say that I've added spinning to my workout regimen as of yesterday. Right now my foods are limited as I am in the soft food stage and my meal consist mainly of yogurt, bean Soups, egg and cheese, spinach and Protein Shakes. Water intake can be challenging at times but I do my best.

Best of luck to a healthy you!

9 hours ago, ovogabriella said:

Hello everyone, after almost a 6 month process I was finally sleeved yesterday 5/29! Im so excited! I don't feel any hunger & I can barely get any Water down before feeling full. I woke up from surgery extremely drugged up, a little nauseous for an hour, no pain (just feels like a did a bunch of sit ups.) I cant stay asleep for more than an hour and I’ve been peeing all that IV stuff out over and over and over again. My surgeon wants me drinking premier Premier Protein, but since Im lactose in tolerant I feel my newly smaller stomach will not hold it in or make me feel sick 😰 How was everyone else’s surgery experience? Are foods sensitivities pre op increased post op?

You're only a day out, don't worry about the Protein Shakes yet. I'm 7 days out & they're still kinda nasty to me. :( Stay hydrated! My dr was okay with watered down apple juice & gatorade, which were both great in the first few days. I'm on mostly Water now.

Congratulations on starting your post surgery journey. Sounds like everything went well for you. Prepare to be very patient the first few weeks but it will only get better. I was strongly encouraged to start Protein day one as will help the healing process. There are many lactose free options. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

I am also lactose intolerant. I am using Unjury Protein Powder, which is lactose free, along with fat-free, lactose free milk as a mixer.

It is funny how doctors and dietitians can be so different in their opinions. My doctor strongly discouraged us from using Premier Protein, which was my go-to drink prior to this process. He recommends only using Protein powders or shakes that list the first ingredient as "Whey Protein Isolate" or "Soy Protein Isolate." We were told to avoid at all times any protein that was a blend (even if isolate was in the blend), a protein matrix, whey protein concentrate (like Premier Protein), or milk protein isolate. A summary of the differences is at this link: https://www.gainful.com/blog/protein-powder/whey-protein-isolate-or-concentrate/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwocPnBRDFARIsAJJcf95GNTrsZ4U5PomYTJlidflVb3sn2D16sB_T_7s4DCHuQcIsNuVYMKYaAhhpEALw_wcB

Just now, Coleslaw said:

I am also lactose intolerant. I am using Unjury Protein Powder, which is lactose free, along with fat-free, lactose free milk as a mixer.

It is funny how doctors and dietitians can be so different in their opinions. My doctor strongly discouraged us from using Premier Protein, which was my go-to drink prior to this process. He recommends only using Protein powders or shakes that list the first ingredient as "Whey Protein Isolate" or "Soy Protein Isolate." We were told to avoid at all times any protein that was a blend (even if isolate was in the blend), a protein matrix, whey protein concentrate (like Premier Protein), or milk protein isolate. A summary of the differences is at this link: https://www.gainful.com/blog/protein-powder/whey-protein-isolate-or-concentrate/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwocPnBRDFARIsAJJcf95GNTrsZ4U5PomYTJlidflVb3sn2D16sB_T_7s4DCHuQcIsNuVYMKYaAhhpEALw_wcB

it's because we absorb more protein from whey protein isolate than we do from the other sources you mentioned. I often drink protein blends now that I'm pretty far out and get most/all of my protein from my food. But early out, when you're not able to eat very much, you need all the protein you can get - thus, a lot of surgeons recommend isolate.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:11 AM, GradyCat said:

I use GNC Lean shakes (pre-made). They're lactose-free and taste great.

thanks for the suggestion I will those out! I always liked the taste of Premier Protein but after surgery they taste bitter to me.

19 hours ago, Coleslaw said:

Thank you for this info, Im looking into trying a whey or soy isolate protein. Im worried since I haven't gotten any protein in since surgery.. I could not bear the taste of Premier Protein anymore which was my go to as well.

One thing I like about Unjury Protein is that they have a chicken broth flavor. I'm not big on sweets, and this is my favorite drink of the day. It feels like I am having a real meal. I got my first supply at my doctor's office, and will be reordering online at https://www.unjury.com.

The differences between concentrate and isolate are negligible I've read many articles it's the lactose that is in concentrate that some people cannot stomach but side by side nutrient values are very similar especially when isolate can cost up to double

4 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

The differences between concentrate and isolate are negligible I've read many articles it's the lactose that is in concentrate that some people cannot stomach but side by side nutrient values are very similar especially when isolate can cost up to double

I'd always heard and read that isolate is more easily absorbed. Now that I'm a few years post-op, I drink both - but we were told to stick with isolate for the first few weeks or months post-op because early out we got most of our Protein from shakes, so it was important to use the one that was more easily absorbed.

Cannot afford to pay double to try and find a natural or totally isolate only Protein the differences are minimal I've looked I'll just have an extra shake to make up for the protein difference tnx