Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric surgery was a big mistake

Chiming in here for anyone else considering surgery that will read this.

The "restrictions" you have after surgery is because you should have a new life perspective and new healthy habits. You should be eating differently for the most part, you should be drinking more Water than maybe you weren't used to, you should be taking Vitamins. (and multi-vitamins exist, no one should be taking 12 different pills!)

You should be living your life in the best way possible! Eat what you want, do it in moderation, work it off if you can. As with anything in life, nothing major should be entered into without research - that is 100x true when it comes to your health!!

Edited by Ylime

Well for me it’s realistic because food is not the center of my universe. My mom has such terrible health problems she doesn’t have much time left here. She is 69. We are 23 years a part and I would rather live than EAT bad food. So boo hoo to those who regret it. It’s saving MY life. Food is no longer the most important thing. I look at it as fuel.

On 06/26/2019 at 14:28, Ylime said:

Chiming in here for anyone else considering surgery that will read this.

The "restrictions" you have after surgery is because you should have a new life perspective and new healthy habits. You should be eating differently for the most part, you should be drinking more Water than maybe you weren't used to, you should be taking Vitamins. (and multi-vitamins exist, no one should be taking 12 different pills!)

You should be living your life in the best way possible! Eat what you want, do it in moderation, work it off if you can. As with anything in life, nothing major should be entered into without research - that is 100x true when it comes to your health!!

Yes to all of this!

Honestly I like taking my bariatric Vitamins.
I use chewables for the multi, the Calcium, the Iron, and the probiotic.
I space them throughout the day after meals as my “dessert” for afterwards.
Not only do they satisfy my need for something a bit sweeter, but I feel good knowing I’m giving my body things that it needs to stay as healthy as possible.

FYI, the chocolate Bariatric Advantage iron chews are quite tasty with a glass of milk and I do this combo a lot as a post-dinner treat.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:52 AM, Sheribear68 said:

Not only do they satisfy my need for something a bit sweeter, but I feel good knowing I’m giving my body things that it needs to stay as healthy as possible.

FYI, the chocolate Bariatric Advantage Iron chews are quite tasty with a glass of milk and I do this combo a lot as a post-dinner treat.

Once I discovered chewables, I starting enjoying the Vitamins as well. I completely agree that they feel a bit like dessert after eating, so I space them out the way you do. I'm particularly fond of the Bariatric Advantage caramel chewy bites.

I hope things get better for you. The changes I have made in my eating habits have been the simplest daily decisions of my life. It is not EASY, but this surgery saved my life. Emotionally, physically, mentally, I can have a positive relationship with food and water- see it as fuel for my body to carry me to do the good wonderful work I want to do in my life. Simply sitting comfortably in a chair now, only 4 months out and 57 lbs down. Running after my nieces who are my favorite people, having the energy to play, being able to get down on the floor and crawl around, walking my dogs again, putting on makeup, feeling like a person in the world. Yes, surgery isn’t the solution, but if I knew how to do it and it had worked with whatever diets I tried before I wouldn’t have gotten to 297 lbs. I really hope you can find support with meals you enjoy, chocolate Protein Shakes that taste like milkshakes!!! Try the Vitamin patches!! No yucky pills!! Get support from your loved ones.... I can’t imagine they would rather judge you and have you feel embarrassed, when they could support you and watch your health improve. It is so much more embarrassing for me to not fit in a booth, or get out of breath, or get dirty looks in fast food places or restaurants- the dirty looks of a fat shaming society. I’d much rather take out my Protein Bar, order a salad and eat half?! (Yes to leftovers!!) and I get to eat 6 times a day!!! I add sugar free strawberry topping to the plain Greek yogurt and all of the sudden I’ve got STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE!! I love shrimp, and it’s less expensive now because I only need 4-5 to fill me up! cheese sticks wrapped in honey ham lunch meat are my go-to! I don’t always follow the 20-20-20 rule. But all I can do is do my best! And I know I would rather eat cottage cheese with mandarin oranges every day, than struggle to clip my own toenails. To not have my seatbelt lock every time I move because it’s not as stretched out. I can use armrests on chairs not, and not have to look for the bench. My feet don’t constantly hurt dragging around 60 extra pounds! There are so many ways to individualize this new eating lifestyle to fit YOU! And I believe in you!

On 06/29/2019 at 21:10, Recidivist said:

Once I discovered chewables, I starting enjoying the Vitamins as well. I completely agree that they feel a bit like dessert after eating, so I space them out the way you do. I'm particularly fond of the Bariatric Advantage caramel chewy bites.

Okay so I’m going to have to try those next.
I’ve had my eye on those

On 06/27/2019 at 00:52, Sheribear68 said:

Yes to all of this!

FYI, the chocolate Bariatric Advantage Iron chews are quite tasty with a glass of milk and I do this combo a lot as a post-dinner treat.
Maybe this was a typo and you meant to say chocolate Bariatric Advantage calcium chews - which are totally okay to take with milk.

But if they are actually IRON chewables you need to stop taking them with milk as the Calcium in the milk will interfere with their absorption.

I know I'm relatively new to this process and the forum (haven't had surgery yet), but I really do appreciate the OP's post. I was supposed to have surgery next week, but I postponed it until December for many of the reasons the OP discussed. I have been "practicing" eating how I would after surgery for the last month and a half, and it is honestly a nightmare compared to how I used to eat. I have to relearn everything, and am finding it wildly restrictive in eating and drinking times with my crazy busy work schedule, and having a very hard time getting fluids in, etc... I realized a week ago that I am completely unprepared for surgery at this point and the lifestyle change it brings, which is why I pushed it back to Dec.

If I had done the surgery next week without all the intensive "practice" I am doing now, the OPs post may very well have been mine instead of this reply. What my dietitian, and surgeon, and psyche eval all told/taught me up to this point is nothing compared to actually eating and drinking in the way they are describing. I have decades of eating and drinking habits to undo. Thankfully I did give it a full practice run for 1+ months to know how hard it is (for me and my schedule anyway, maybe others find it easier). I think the OP is in a similar place, but didn't do the "practice" eating and drinking before hand, and I absolutely understand much of what he/she is upset about.

They might be a troll, but that initial post has stuck with me for a week since I read it, and I very much relate to the difficulties they are describing, and wish them the best in their journey.

Edited by Ryanasaurus
Wording improvement

I'm having surgery August 5th (sleeve) and I'm honestly so EXCITED that none of the shade bothers me. I'm ready to get on the losers bench and I've never had an emotional attachment to food (gained the weight from being on a medicine I'm no longer on) and I have read SO much I feel like I know this process inside and out. I'm going to ROCK this !😎

37 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Did the OP really never check back in?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

doesn't look like it

I'm having surgery August 5th (sleeve) and I'm honestly so EXCITED that none of the shade bothers me. I'm ready to get on the losers bench and I've never had an emotional attachment to food (gained the weight from being on a medicine I'm no longer on) and I have read SO much I feel like I know this process inside and out. I'm going to ROCK this !
I absolutely love your attitude! I'm having my bypass tomorrow, so I need to catch your mindset quick!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, alex76 said:

I absolutely love your attitude! I'm having my bypass tomorrow, so I need to catch your mindset quick!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Good luck on your surgery!

I had the sleeve on 6/26/19. This day one week ago I still could have backed out up until 3pm! But, I didn’t and now I am living with such horrible regret,shame hate for myself for doing this. Why didn’t I have these doubts before, why didn’t I research more?? I feel the same as you.

On 5/29/2019 at 4:44 AM, Darci kendall said:

Seems to me you never did your research.FYI I know 5 People who have had the bypass and all have gone back to regular eating.All 5 wish they had the Sleeve .I suggest seeing a psychiatrist.

Honestly! Who on earth would have this surgery and not at least take a peek at YouTube to see others' experiences and then run into all of Dr. Matthew Weiner's excellent seminars. I spent hours on YouTube before my surgery to get the good, bad and ugly. I still go back to Dr. Weiner for inspiration. I don't agree with 100%, but his information is pretty darn solid, and has options ("Pound of Cure" program) for those who elect NOT to have surgery. Only a fool would have a major, elective surgery without educating themselves first. Furthermore, every surgeon is required to discuss risks/benefits with the patient when they get the INFORMED consent signature for the procedure.