Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric surgery was a big mistake

And at 9 months, 1/4th cup rarely, usually 2 oz yet, Precious Pouch does not stretch much, if at all! Maybe they are masochist, really,into PAIN, IDK either!

I remember the first month being the hardest. I wasn't sure if I would ever eat out again and socialize. I am almost 2 years out and so much happier. I don't regret my gastric bypass at all. I can go out with family and friends anytime. I just chose to eat a little of what ever I order. No one judges or even notices anymore and you always have lunch the next day. Things will get better.

On 05/29/2019 at 12:01, Happiest Girl said:

I remember the first month being the hardest. I wasn't sure if I would ever eat out again and socialize. I am almost 2 years out and so much happier. I don't regret my gastric bypass at all. I can go out with family and friends anytime. I just chose to eat a little of what ever I order. No one judges or even notices anymore and you always have lunch the next day. Things will get better.

Yes. I’m almost 4 months out and just this last weekend me and hubs took my MIL to a bday party for a friend who was turning 80.
The food was amazing and plentiful and I went through the buffet line and put a smidge of almost everything on my plate.
One single bite of homemade slaw and potato salad and macaroni salad was delish and I was able to stop with the single forkful of each. Oh and the pulled pork and smoked turkey was the main course on my plate. I didn’t use any sauce and not one single person noticed and it didn’t feel weird.
I made sure to savor every bite and chewing slowly was a benefit, not a curse.

I even had 2 Cheetos which were quite honestly disappointing: my memory of them were better than the actual thing. 🤣🤣
When it was time for cake, I took a very small slice and ate half of it and I promise that I didn’t feel deprived or stupid or the center of attention. Everyone was happy to be here gathering for a dear friend and was having a good time and focusing on one random friend of the families eating habits was not on anyone’s agenda.

Quite simply nobody noticed and/or cared what I ate or didn’t eat at the end of the day.

Yes. I’m almost 4 months out and just this last weekend me and hubs took my MIL to a bday party for a friend who was turning 80.
The food was amazing and plentiful and I went through the buffet line and put a smidge of almost everything on my plate.
One single bite of homemade slaw and potato salad and macaroni salad was delish and I was able to stop with the single forkful of each. Oh and the pulled pork and smoked turkey was the main course on my plate. I didn’t use any sauce and not one single person noticed and it didn’t feel weird.
I made sure to savor every bite and chewing slowly was a benefit, not a curse.

I even had 2 Cheetos which were quite honestly disappointing: my memory of them were better than the actual thing. 🤣🤣
When it was time for cake, I took a very small slice and ate half of it and I promise that I didn’t feel deprived or stupid or the center of attention. Everyone was happy to be here gathering for a dear friend and was having a good time and focusing on one random friend of the families eating habits was not on anyone’s agenda.

Quite simply nobody noticed and/or cared what I ate or didn’t eat at the end of the day.
Thanks for this [emoji173]

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Fluffy I believe you are right on. I think this is a troll but if not here are some questions for MarieMarie. We all know you have to be at least 100 pounds over your ideal weight with health issues to qualify for this surgery. I have noted that you have not said what your starting weight was prior to surgery however, if you are 100 pounds overweight how long are you going to stick with a WW diet and how long will it take you to get it off? Do you have that kind if time? The energy to go to a gym? If you did then shame on you. You should have tried it before the surgery. When you failed and hit rock bottom you would have thanked God that there was a tool out there to save your life. We ALL tried something else and failed. Now we are doing what we need to do to get HEALTHY. Its not about the looks or the clothes as much as it is about what I can do now compared to two years ago. I lost 132 pounds and stand 4’11. I currently weigh 117. I had asthma. That is gone. I had sleep apnea. That is gone. Acid reflux. Gone. What problems did you have? You needed some to get this surgery. Take meds for that? Is it more than your two Iron pills and three Calcium Vitamins? Have you given yourself time to feel the good effects if this surgery? Is there a reason you haven't posted your before weight, your loss and how long ago your surgery was? Regarding your lack of information prior to surgery stop blaming everyone else. You apparently have access to the internet since you posted here. Did you not know how to access the info you Needed? In that case there is Barnes and Noble or Amazon or a library. YOU SHOULD HAVE RESEARCHED and if you didnt its on you. I read everything good and bad that I could get my hands on.

To sum this up you say you are 40 years old. Then it is time to grow up take these tools and use them correctly. They can save your life. Remember this — only you can make this work. No one else. But also only you can make yourself fail. Only you. Its your choice. Bet your daughter hopes you live a long life. That is your choice. Nobody else can make it for you. As you have been told pull up your big girl pants and stop whining. If you wake up breathing thank God and make a Protein Shake and get on with your day. I hope you see a psychologist to help you and I wish you luck.

My surgery was one month ago today. Ive lost 33 pounds. I couldnt be happier. Yes it has been a challenge with pain and I had a couple set backs from food that didnt agree with me... It is a whole new way to think about food for me because in my family every gathering is about food. Im confident I can change this habit over time.. my solution is to make food that I can eat along with the food for everyone else. For me this journey is exciting & I learn new things everyday..

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

For anyone who is doing some serious research and comes across this thread... you will find that Gastric surgery is not cosmetic surgery. It's not a quick fix. It's a tool - a very good one - to help you get to where you need to be. But, just like a bicycle you have to use leg power on, you have to put in the work. It can be slow, it can be frustrating, it can feel like an uphill battle at times, but my goodness... the rewards are amazing. I have just donated 5 bags of clothes and have another 5 bags to put on Ebay.

And I have a stack that is going to Goodwill, packed the Styrofoam boxes I had from my TPN supplies, I think I am at a count of 9, they should be grateful for that sizes. My county, Knox, has a high % of obesity, so I'm sure they won't last long there.

I am so very sorry you feel this way. But I’m at a loss. I take a Vitamin in the morning and eat two chewables. I’m OFF all my other meds! My whole life STILL revolves around eating. My family gets together and we eat. We go out with friends and eat. We fellowship at church and eat. I always bring a drink and almost 75 % of the time there is something I can eat. If not, I still join in and visit and talk.
I don’t feel neglected. Everyone we know supports my decision to have the surgery.
My husband and I go out to eat all of the time. I either eat my 1/2 cup off of his plate, or just get an appetizer or a kids plate.
I’ve lost 50 lbs in 5 months. Kinda slow, but exactly what the dr told me to expect. I have about 60 more to go but IVE NEVER FELT BETTER AND MORE SUCCESSFUL IN YEARS.
I hope you find some peace.

If monitoring my diet for life means a healthy lifestyle and extra time spent with my family then so be it. I made myself unhealthy with the food that I chose to over indulge in. I am currently 12 days post op from my bypass and I do not regret it. I spent my mother's day on a liquid diet (Optifast) and Memorial Day, I spent recovering from my bypass and on a pureed diet. I've studied this surgery for the past 10 years, contemplating until I was at my highest weight, miserable and unable to play with my kids. 18 months ago I began my journey to get healthy. I lost 85 pounds on my own but with a high BMI and still morbidly obese, I joined a Bariatric management program and worked through it and got my bypass. I'm clinging to every extra moment that I'll have with my family. I've enjoyed all the unhealthy crap, so on to find healthy stuff that still tastes good and share these new eating habits with my kids. To each there own, but I'm embracing it!

Sent from my PH-1 using BariatricPal mobile app

13 hours ago, skinnydreamer16 said:

Fluffy I believe you are right on. I think this is a troll but if not here are some questions for MarieMarie. We all know you have to be at least 100 pounds over your ideal weight with health issues to qualify for this surgery.

Sorry, this is not accurate. With my insurance, you needed to have a BMI over 40 OR have a BMI over 35 with comorbidities. If you're paying yourself, you may have a lower BMI. I have never heard of the 100 lbs. above your "ideal" weight statistic. Could you please quote your source?

On 5/28/2019 at 6:41 AM, Alvinchicago said:

I'm only adding this post because I hope someone searching gastric bypass sees it. Everyone must make their own decisions about this surgery, but the overwhelming information out there sends the message that gastric bypass is a good thing. Please know that it is not right for everyone and anyone thinking of doing this should take a lot of time to research both the positive and the negatives. Gastric bypass is not the answer to lose weight. It's not realistic and it's not in line with society. If gastric bypass was just a way to eat half of what you normally ate, that would be one thing. I hate that I did this. I'm so mad at myself for listening to everyone else and not listening to myself. Gastric bypass is a bunch of rules and restrictions that make life miserable. You can't drink when you eat, so you have hours a day with no fluids. However you have to still get in 64 oz of Water or you get sick and your weight loss slows. It's ridiculously impossible unless you look like a fool carrying a water bottle around all day long! Then there is the Vitamins and medication to protect your stomach. I never took a pill before this surgery and now I'm supposed to be taking almost a dozen a day. Who has time for that? Then there are the limits to what you can eat, not just how much. Try going anywhere and it's nearly impossible to find something to eat that you like and want . Nine times out of ten you have to eat something you can eat, not something you want to eat or even like. I'm literally choking down food I hate just because it's the only thing I can have. Again, I have to pack my own food anytime I go somewhere or just not eat all all and I look like an idiot! What forty year old do you know that carries a lunch box around everywhere she goes? I didn’t pack this weekend when I went to my daughters lacrosse tournament and I paid the price because there was not one thing I could eat even though there were six or more vendors and food trucks! We don't have family dinners any more, I sit in another room to spend my twenty minutes eating four lousy spoonfuls, Mother's Day was ruined because for the first time in 21 years we could not go out to Breakfast or take my own mother out to dinner. I sat home alone on Memorial Day and skipped the family BBQ all because of this surgery too. I can't be around normal people enjoying normal things because I'm not normal anymore. Just chewing the food for a ridiculous amount of time and waiting twenty minutes to eat four spoonfuls of something makes me look like a fool. People actually stare and waitresses ask if something is wrong. Yes, something is wrong! I’m angry that I was not told that life was ruined by this surgery. I was never told all of the rules, restrictions, or possible side effects. Every appointment I went to was about what questions I had but no information was given. How could I have questions about something I was obviously so poorly informed about. It’s my fault because I did it I’m stuck and my life is ruined. There have to be others out there that feel the same way so I hope they step out and share so people who are thinking about this surgery can see both sides. This surgery is a money maker for surgeons and it’s advertised way to much with a positive slant. Hindsight is 20/20! If I knew then what I know now I would have gone to Weight watchers and a gym and never ever would have done this. This surgery has ruined my life!

Appears you were not mentally ready for the challenge ahead. That's fine not everyone is suited to such a drastic change in their lives.

But still there are 1000s of people who have changed their life for the better even if it meant making some sacrifices here and there!

& weight watchers, Jenny Craig and any of those companies are ALL FOR PROFIT!!!

NEITHER of those companies guarantee success without HARD WORK and DEDICATION as well!!!

I had mine done in 2016.
I regret it as well. I think i was to old(58) at the time. Not alot of
Weight loss but plenty of side effects. Mainly dumping syndrome. I cant eat rice, Pasta,
Most meat or FISH!
The dumping syndrome is severe taking up to 8 hours or more to pass.
I would not do it again.

Sent from my SM-S737TL using BariatricPal mobile app

Didn’t you have to go thru nutritional classes and learn all this before hand? Where I’m doctoring I do, 6 months worth plus psychological review to make sure I understand all this!