Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's In Your Hospital Bag?

My cell phone charger, right before my surgery I bought a 10 foot one at Staples, Tomkitten teased me about it but it was very valuable. Also if they tell you to bring your C-Pap do it. But learn from my error, I didn't check,to see it was complete. My model wasn't the same as their house ones. Since I was 50 miles from,home,and had no one to,bring me the part missing, I had to wear 02 the entire Post-Surgery time, because it would have been difficult to drag it up and down the hall, I was room-bound, good thing,I DID NOT have gas to expel, I think OSU must pump it back,out at surgery conclusion.👈😝👉

Phone, charger and toothbrush. Don’t bother bringing a lot of stuff.

Guess it depends on how long you anticipate your stay being. Some people are outpatient and leave the same day, others like me stay 2 nights. I took my own toothbrush and toothpaste, chapstick, hairbrush and deodorant. I wore the same comfy outfit I wore into the hospital with the exception of fresh underwear. Some people recommend bringing your own socks to walk in but hospital floors are gross - surgeons and other staff walk right out of the operating rooms up to the nursing floors to round on their patients. I wore the ones they gave me and threw them away when I left.

You won't need much. I didn't end up needing pajamas. I did use chapstick, toothbrush, toothpaste, and hand lotion.

Stuff that I took that I needed: phone charger, chapstick, slippers, toothbrush & toothpaste, book to read, all my RXs (at the hospital's direction), extra socks, hair brush

Stuff that I took that I didn't need: pjs, face scrub & lotion (was too bagged to worry about it), shampoo/conditioner/body wash

What I wish I had: a cardigan

I’d recommend a fan for white noise and your own pillow. Hospital pillows are awful.

6 hours ago, Kmama5 said:

I’d recommend a fan for white noise and your own pillow. Hospital pillows are awful.

I am so glad I brought my own pillow as well it made everything so much more tolerable!

Love the fan idea! I also want to bring my laptop in case I’m up and feel like watching Netflix.
I don’t imagine I’ll wast to shower in the hospital but a clean pair of underwear sounds good too.

Depends on how rumpled and dirty you feel after surgery. Me, I could certainly wait until I got home, but everybody differs. Some surgeon's say don't get your incisions set but others feel it is fine. Certainly no tub baths or swimming, too much chance of impure Water leading to infections, but showers, just clean water flowing over, washing everything clean.
Hospital pillows, mfft, I think they may be 1st cousins to the sandbags used to position you so you don't roll off onto the floor. Yeah maybe they could do their business on a Flat surface, but surgeons are very protective of their own backs getting out of alignment. We only have one surgery but they do many in a day!