Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass stomach ache

Hi all

I had a gastric bypass on the 1st of May and I am in the second week of the pureed food diet, I just thought I would ask a couple of questions to see if all is normal. I cannot really get use to pureeing everything so i have been having broths, cottage cheese, some pureed Soups and jelly (Australian version of Jello)

When eating at times i can really feel the food slowly going down and most times i get a slight stomach ache after eating for up to 30 minutes, I was getting a little worried as I am about to go onto the soft food diet from Friday and was thinking if pureed foods do this what will courser foods do.

How long after surgery did you guys experience this sort of thing and how long does it last before i start to get worried?

Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat and staying within the required volume you're allowed to have? Perhaps you are just eating too much of the purees. Try limiting them to 1/4 cup and see how that goes. Then increase if you're allowed to. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

It’s pretty normal to feel everything moving down as you eat...at least this early. I am just about 4 mos post op and can still feel liquids and thin foods. I also suggest eating less and measuring if your stomach hurts. Best of luck

I wonder if this is the way it will be from now on? Will you always have this tender sensation as a reminder? Perhaps someone more experienced will have some input.

On 5/27/2019 at 7:55 PM, Briswife15 said:

Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat and staying within the required volume you're allowed to have? Perhaps you are just eating too much of the purees. Try limiting them to 1/4 cup and see how that goes. Then increase if you're allowed to. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi , yes i am making use everything is kept to 1/4 cup at all time

On 5/27/2019 at 9:16 PM, CurvyMom said:

It’s pretty normal to feel everything moving down as you eat...at least this early. I am just about 4 mos post op and can still feel liquids and thin foods. I also suggest eating less and measuring if your stomach hurts. Best of luck

Its nice to know that feeling everything moving down is normal, i thought something else might have been wrong

Me too, the portion sizes are starting to become 2nd Nature. I did worry that a 1/4 cup wasn't enough to keep body and soul together, I usually am lucky if I make it above my 2-3 oz, but I accept it. Its just me, that's what works. I have another Endoscopy on the 12th, hate to say it but I think the gastritis is back if not , it's the ulceration. Low grade pouch pain, gnawing between meals, not even milk helps and I am taking my PPI and my every 6 hr Carafate religiously. I am a little scared that maybe I have stopped with my healing, they were talking of surgery the last time I was in Columbus if things were the same or no better. Not sure what entails, I know what my Medical Geekdom says, but maybe it wouldn't be all THAT bad. Words like cutting, rejoining and re-anastomosis, please Lord let me be wrong and let them be right that I still will be Okay. I've tried So Hard to be a brave little camper, tonight I'm feeling a little scared. Don't even have a Clinic Appointment until August unless this turns out Bad. My Gut instinct? Precious Pouch doesn't drain all that well, can you have something like. "Gastoparesis" in just a little pouch? IDK at this point., what is coming next? See currently I feel nothing moving down, like it hits the pouch and just sits there, used to be I would upchuck within 15 minutes, now I have even did it a couple hours later, just sat nauseous until then. Hard for me to eat anything less when you're stuck on puree, Soup, broth and Protein Shakes. Oh I do sandwich all my Vitamins and minerals and meds in, mostly they stay down. So maybe I'm not too deficient, IDK, I just DK.