Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm hopefully (fingers crossed) having the sleeve in early July and we have a cruise booked for the end of next June. I love all the fresh options that cruises offer and often eat my weight in fresh fruit while on the ship 😂. Has anyone successfully carried on pre-mixed Protein Shakes to a ship? We're sailing on Carnival and I know they have certain restrictions about pop and wine but there is no mention about Protein shakes. I'll call the cruise line once I have the surgery to figure it all out but I was just curious what experience others might have had. I'm not so worried about sea days, it's the days we're in port and walking around doing all the fun stuff!

am I reading this correctly in that the cruise is 11 months after your surgery? If so, most people are off Protein Shakes by then. You can usually get enough Protein through your food by that point that you don't need to supplement anymore. A few people do (like me - we discovered early on that I malabsorb protein, so I need way more than the average WLS patient), but for most, no..

It is just about a year out from surgery, correct. I'm just more concerned about the port days where there will be lots of activity and walking. I feel it might be better to have one of those on hand because you can't bring ship food off the ship in ports and the restaurants in port typically are not the best nutrition wise.

Just now, ahillig said:

It is just about a year out from surgery, correct. I'm just more concerned about the port days where there will be lots of activity and walking. I feel it might be better to have one of those on hand because you can't bring ship food off the ship in ports and the restaurants in port typically are not the best nutrition wise.

OK - that makes sense. You could also bring some Protein Bars along. I don't eat them often, but I sometimes take a few when I travel. They're a little more convenient than shakes.

I took a cruise two months post-op surgery and I also have a Carnival cruise in June of 2020. Are we doing on the same one? LOL! I made sure to purchase bottled Water onboard the ship to take with me on excursions. I also had packed almonds, Protein bars, and protein chips and took them on excursions with me to have something healthy and protein to eat if I got hungry. I also took Protein Powder to mix with water in case I needed a Protein Shake one day, but I never ended up using it. I had thought about the premade Protein Shakes and packing them, but they're so heavy and I have to fly to the cruise port, so I couldn't take that weight in my luggage.

2 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I took a cruise two months post-op surgery and I also have a Carnival cruise in June of 2020. Are we doing on the same one? LOL! I made sure to purchase bottled Water onboard the ship to take with me on excursions. I also had packed almonds, Protein Bars, and Protein chips and took them on excursions with me to have something healthy and Protein to eat if I got hungry. I also took Protein Powder to mix with Water in case I needed a Protein Shake one day, but I never ended up using it. I had thought about the premade Protein Shakes and packing them, but they're so heavy and I have to fly to the cruise port, so I couldn't take that weight in my luggage.

We'll be on the Magic leaving June 28 from Miami! And we fly Southwest exclusively so with their two bags fly free I'm not super concerned about luggage weight. Glad to know you didn't end up needing the shakes. I'm just thinking of a 4 pack to stuff in my luggage.