Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just downed a medium sized bowl of fruit salad in one sitting, how is this possible?!

7 minutes ago, Brotherman Bill said:

when will i be normal again? when will eating stop being a hard task? i don't mind the small quantities, i just hate wondering if the next bite will make me throw up :(

Be gentle with yourself. You just had surgery and are healing, Chew, Eat slow stop at your signal of full. Concentrate on getting your Protein goal in. Your surgery restriction will become a bit less over time. Learn your plan and the basics. Hang in there.

5 minutes ago, Brotherman Bill said:

when will i be normal again? when will eating stop being a hard task? i don't mind the small quantities, i just hate wondering if the next bite will make me throw up :(

That is a valid question.

The fear of the unknown is real and huge! ((hugs)) It may feel never ending right now. But take courage. Seize hold of hope. Get excited!!! Cuz the journey you are on is transforming!!! And life changing/affirming. In one year you will look back at yourself and not recognize your old sick self. You will disbelieve you ever let yourself get "there" and became "that guy". You will fill a meeeeeeellllllion percent better!!! And eating WILL become "normal" again--a new normal. And that's pretty OK.

The trick is to EAT SLOWLY. Put that fork down between bites. Really feel your body and listen to it. In the early days, the nerves were cut and aren't fully talking to your brain. So that's why it's VERY important to follow the volume and food stage progression given to you by your doctor!!! So important!! Cuz you eat it and you're done, whether you are full or not. No seconds. And of course, if you feel full or restriction or over-discomfort. You stop--even if you have stuff left!

It gets better.

At 15 months, it's not what I CAN eat, it's keeping myself eating honestly, cleanly, and not OVER eating or over eating with the wrong types of foods.

1 hour ago, Brotherman Bill said:

Hi, i was sleeved 2.5 weeks ago, started mushies in my third week, but usually i can not eat more than two large spoons of ANYTHING, but this fruit salad i downed in 10 minutes like it was nothing, this makes me question how my stomach works, i'm confused, are fruits just going right through me?

794c7554-a72b-406c-9def-2f22d6eafd41.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-25 at 3.38.04 PM.jpeg

Lots of Information here, you should be taking each step by step

MBS-Roux-n-Y.pdf

Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should. You should be eating no more than 1/2 cup of anything at this point.

2 hours ago, Brotherman Bill said:

are fruits just going right through me?

I have no idea if your program allows fruit salad that early (many people aren't allowed to eat raw fruit before 4 weeks are over).

In general fruit is good for you and you can eat quite a bit of it because it contains lots of Water. However, plans vary a lot so in the end you might choose not to eat it.

2 hours ago, Brotherman Bill said:

i assumed fruits = healthy and the calorie count is not that bad, is it?

9b13120c4f372d2f7ee9e34d8d5727d2.png

Calories are not the only thing to watch out for. fruit is high in sugar and carb. The nutrition binder I got from my nutritionist says the most fruit at the soft food stage is a 1/4 c of unsweetened apple sauce or a 1/4 of a a mashed banana. That's total per day and they recommend mixing it with plain unsweetened yogurt or cottage cheese for the Protein. I'm extremely carb sensitive and can only tolerate berries pre op so not sure I will eat any fruit.

Edited by starladustangel

If It's prepacked or canned it will contain sugars and carbs unless it's raw fruit, no reason to deliberately overwork your sleeve so early.... It's Not going to help you..

43 minutes ago, starladustangel said:

I'm extremely carb sensitive and can only tolerate berries pre op so not sure I will eat any fruit.

What do you mean by "carb sensitive"? Do you dump on too many carbohydrates?

3 hours ago, Brotherman Bill said:

i bookmarked the link, the first app you linked isn't compatible with my device unfortunately, but i downloaded the fitnesspal one. thanks very much for your help and resources :)

Go to the search box at the top left. Type in sleeve instructions. It will pull up

5 minutes ago, summerset said:

I haven't had surgery yet so not dumping. I'm about a week away.

I have PCOS. If I eat too many carbs, it will make me hungrier causing me to want to eat more. My main triggers are bread, rice, Pasta and sugar. Sugar is the worst one.Sugar from many fruits does it to me. Same with Cookies, candy, cakes, regular sodas, juice, ice cream. I can tolerate some artificial sweeteners though.

This article explains it

https://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/what-is-carb-sensitivity-and-how-to-know-if-you-have-it

12 minutes ago, summerset said:

No one is demonizing carbs. There is no such thing as NO carb diet. Low carb is instructed by many surgeons/dieticians. All plans are different.

I am carb sensitive. I am a type one diabetic. My body does not process carbs or sugar correctly. I keep my carbs in the range where I lose/maintain my weight. I distance run. I carb load for seven days pre-race. It’s instant weight gain. I go back to weight loss mode to work it off.

Healthy_life2 and Fluffy gave some great advice. They are very knowledgeable, and a treasure to this board.

I’m only a month out, but the memories of the first couple of weeks are very fresh. It was rough. I felt like getting my liquids and some Protein in was a full time job. Drinking is a lot easier now.

By week 3 I could eat very soft cheese (like laughing cow), eggface’s ricotta bake (that recipe is LEGIT), high-protein low-carb yogurt, soft scrambled eggs, puréed salmon spread.

Week 4, last week, I was able to add in some softly cooked brown meat chicken (I have a Sous vide, so it’s easy to keep it soft and not overcook it, I highly recommend that gadget) and softly cooked salmon. I could get in about 1/8 - 1/4 cup in. I have to go very slowly, like taking 20-30 minutes to eat it, and chew the daylights out of it.

I’ve progressed to being able to try little bits of most types of meats. I’m still learning to listen to my body’s signals that it’s full, so I go by measurements. 1/4 cup of food per meal, 3 meals per day, and 1 Protein Shake for a snack (half in the afternoon, half in the evening/night). I can add bits of salsa, etc. for flavor, which keeps down the monotony. I’m still going to be chewing for a long long time, and may forever. It’s not a bad thing. I enjoy my meals a lot more.

I can add in non-starchy veggies in at the 3 month mark, as long as I’m getting the protein in.

The chewing a ton and not drinking Water 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after a meal were some of the behaviors that I had to develop prior to surgery. My program was pretty rigorous, but I think it prepared me fairly well.

You’ll get used to this new way of being. There are so many wonderful Proteins and non starchy veggies out there.

I’m still going to indulge in fruit here and there, but it will be a bite of fresh strawberry, or a blackberry off a vine or a huckleberry or two while I’m hiking. And I will enjoy the hell out of it.

58 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I carb load for seven days pre-race. It’s instant weight gain.

Of course you gain weight instantly while carb loading. Glycogen contains/binds lots of Water.