Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I didn't think I'd be one to fall off the wagon

I had surgery in February 2017 and lost about 110 pounds before surgery and another 80 after surgery (at my lowest, which was 210). In the last year and a half, I've gained about 40 pounds. Around the same time I started gaining, I also moved out of my parents' house and now live alone. My biggest problem has been sweets and fighting sugar cravings. My activity level hasn't been consistent either, but I'm more concerned about my eating than anything else. I guess I just need some motivation or some encouragement to get things back on track and ideas to get started again.

You lost an incredible amount of weight, that's GREAT! So you gained back a few, it's okay, you've got this. You know how many calories to eat, you know to focus on Protein, you know to drink 64 oz of Water each day. You can do it!

I heave read many times on here ~~ if you start to fail, go back to the basics ~~ start with the liquid diet again to help you get back on track. Good luck!

I wouldn't go completely back to the beginning, but I *would* go back to eating Protein first, then non-starchy vegetables. Then, if you have room, a small serving of fruit or whole grain carbs. Avoid or severely limited "bad" carbs. Wait at least 30 minutes after eating before drinking anything. Weight/measure and, most importantly, track your food. You know the drill....just get back to it!

Also, you could go back to your RD. go to counseling, support meetings, weight loss groups. Buy a Fitbit and sync to my fitness pal. Tack all your food. Join a gym, walk with a friend. Weight watchers, OA., Tops etc.

I wish you well!

Edited by gabybab

43 minutes ago, gabybab said:

Also, you could go back to your RD. go to counseling, support meetings, weight loss groups. Buy a Fitbit and sync to my fitness pal. Tack all your food. Join a gym, walk with a friend. Weight watchers, OA., Tops etc.

I wish you well!

This.

Side note. A lot of people are having success with Noom vs. Weight Watchers. I always got too many calories with WW for it to be effective. I love the Fitbit/fitness pal combo too.

I don't know if you have a therapist already, but a good one is such a help to process how hard this all is (I mean, I'm at two months, you know SO much better than me). Though I'd encourage a life coach: I found one who is so positive and encouraging, even when I'm just cemented in my head and in a bad place, she can help me find a release and feel optimistic, find a way forward. It's a little more constructive and action-oriented than just a therapist, but more than that, she's a cheerleader for me.

But. You deserve a cheerleader NOW, so: You can do it--you already did it! You're amazing! You got this.

1 hour ago, comingupmilhouse said:

I don't know if you have a therapist already, but a good one is such a help to process how hard this all is (I mean, I'm at two months, you know SO much better than me). Though I'd encourage a life coach: I found one who is so positive and encouraging, even when I'm just cemented in my head and in a bad place, she can help me find a release and feel optimistic, find a way forward. It's a little more constructive and action-oriented than just a therapist, but more than that, she's a cheerleader for me.

But. You deserve a cheerleader NOW, so: You can do it--you already did it! You're amazing! You got this.

I've been seeing the same eating disorder therapist since way before my surgery, so I'm good on that front. I might look into increasing my sessions to every week for a while though. I've just been dealing with a lot of family crises and stress from work that I've been talking mainly about that during my sessions.

First - forgive yourself. That wss yesterday, focus on just one day at a time.

Second - since you live alone just 'who' is putting that stuff in your shopping cart? Stop buying it. Throw it out, the money is gone, or give it to a food pantry. You are the only one that can be kind to your body

Have you tried meditation for the stress?

How about books by Geneen Roth? She has a great workbook for compulsive eating. Some therapists do not get to the deeper issues.

https://whywesuffer.com

And go look at youtube videos for inspiration and information. Dr Weiner and Dr. Duc Vuong.

It's not over, keep going. We are always a work in progress because forward is where we are going. We are all food addicts.

You are under a lot of stress and have turned to comfort food for self medication. The thing about sweets and sugar is that just one little bit will trigger bigger cravings. You just have to make the firm decision to not eat any sugar, period. Sugar causes insulin spikes. Insulin drives calories into fat storage. The more insulin you have spiking during the day, the more fat will be stored. When your insulin levels drop from not eating or from eating low glycemic foods (your Protein and veggies), then the body starts breaking down fat stores. Sometimes understanding the physiology helps with resisting foods that cause insulin spikes (sweets, processed foods, simple carbs, carbs that are not protected by protein foods.) Sugar activates the same pleasure/addictive centers in the brain as does cocaine! It is truly an addictive substance. Once you go a few days with no sugar, the cravings will stop. Your energy levels will be better. Getting some regular exercise will also help stop the cravings and stimulate good brain chemistry so you feel better about life and not have such a strong pull by the addictive foods. You can do this! Your weight loss is truly and inspiration. This is a small bump in the road and a learning opportunity to take your resilience to another level, as you learn to deal with stress by other means than eating, Pulling for you!!!!

I agree with all the post above. Especially, forgive your self. We are blessed with a big life a head of us. Brush yourself off and get back on that horse. You deserve it. Put yourself first and put the stressors in line behind you.You have done awesome and without a doubt can do it again.