Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody on here used the cpap machine before surgery and have crazy gas in the morning... I tend to burp a lot and fart a lot some days.. Other days nothing.. My question is have you been on the machine before surgery and did you use it after surgery.. I don't want to use it after if it's gonna create more gas inside my pouch and then have complications afterwards...

Most likely I will follow my Drs orders and see what he says...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

Well my guess is they will tell you to continue it for a period of time after surgery too. A lot of people are able to phase it out though within a couple months. Yeah, do follow your surgeon's lead, he knows you better than we do!😝

Well, I had bypass, but yes, I was using my CPAP before surgery and still use it after my surgery. No gas, burping or farting! I think you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was able to get off the CPAP within 3 months post-op, but you don't want to just stop using it because you don't want to stop breathing in your sleep.

1 hour ago, big_ange said:

Anybody on here used the cpap machine before surgery and have crazy gas in the morning... I tend to burp a lot and fart a lot some days.. Other days nothing.. My question is have you been on the machine before surgery and did you use it after surgery.. I don't want to use it after if it's gonna create more gas inside my pouch and then have complications afterwards...

I hope this gives you some hope and works out for you as well.. Roux NY gastric bypass made it so my sleep apnea is gone!!.. as well as my acid reflux.. I now sleep in the same bed as the Hubby and he is ecstatic!

1 hour ago, GradyCat said:

I was able to get off the CPAP within 3 months post-op, but you don't want to just stop using it because you don't want to stop breathing in your sleep.

Grady Cat congrats! I was diagnosed with sleep apnea at the weight of 270 about 15 years ago. I'm at 282 now and I'm hoping in another 30 pounds I can be tested again and see if I can reduce or get off my bi-pap.

I’m now 10 weeks vsg post op and have had my cpap since thanksgiving. I’m so ready to be done with it. Some folks come to love it but not this girl. Down almost 40 pounds and I’m hoping the cpap will be discontinued soon. And also yes to all the gas issues. More in the beginning then now.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:18 PM, big_ange said:

I used it before and after surgery until this last February when I was finally cleared to no longer use it. The months after sleeve surgery seem like a blur but from what I remember, it was difficult to use the CPAP immediately after surgery just because of how much it stretches your midsection with the forced air. I remember it being uncomfortable but I soldiered through it. You can too.

Ultimately, the reason I had sleeve surgery was for my health and it'd be stupid to go through the effort of having the sleeve surgery and then self-diagnose yourself off a CPap machine which literally is like playing russian roulette with your life. Use your C-Pap until you are told not to. You will get there. I did.

I constantly fart now especially when I lay on either side. I never thought about it coming from my cpap machine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 5/24/2019 at 1:18 PM, big_ange said:

i endedup not needing mine after!

On 5/24/2019 at 1:18 PM, big_ange said: