Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chickened Out On Surgery Day. Help.

1 hour ago, xandriuh said:

I am going to the doctor and psych this week, I am hoping to reschedule and make it to the losers bench in not too long. I have decided to not let it hold me back and am working on losing weight in the meantime. The lower my weight the lower the risk so hopefully it will let me ease my anxiety just a little bit more.

I think it is great that you are making strides to be proactive about the anxiety. Anxiety is treatable and can be managed, with some help. I think you are brave for facing it head on. :)

Edited by FluffySaysForkIt!

I have anxiety and I had an attack at the same point as you, when she placed that big a$$ needle in my hand. Luckily my mom was there and the nurses were both so awesome and they talked me off the cliff so to speak.
I would say try meditating and practicing going to your "happy place" this could help alot

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

HI! You state you have anxiety - are you not getting any meds for it now? I have clinical anxiety and depression & took a Xanax the morning of surgery and was okay. I feel like I almost just mentally tune out for something this big. I don't know if that makes any sense. My surgery was 4 days ago. Did I want to be there? No. Did I want to be poked and prodded and cut into? No. I just showed up and did it and didn't allow myself to think too much.

If it helps - the heparin you mention - they told me the same thing. This will burn, this might hurt. Honestly it didn't at all. Like a little pinch. No biggie. And they gave me that heparin shot every 8 hours of my stay. It never bothered me.

The things I went in worried about didn't really happen. The things I was confident about ending up being more of an issue. By which I mean - don't spend too much time agonizing over any one thing because it won't end up being the thing that even bothers you.

I went into the surgery so anxious about nausea. Nausea is not my friend. And it was - OKAY. I woke up okay, but the first 24 hours were rough, but you know what? I got through it. I had at least three separate times during that first night where I was sweating & feeling like I might barf, but I didn't. I sat on the bed and stared at the barf container (because that makes me feel better) & just breathed through it telling myself it would all be different in a few minutes. Tomorrow. A few days. It's the same way I get through the flu. I'm gonna live, just breathe.

I went in so overconfident about the pain. I didn't think the pain would be an issue & then there I was the first 24 hours were rough. But again, somewhere around hour 25 it was all tolerable. I had my surgery on Thursday - I slept on my stomach last night - Sunday.

Also, you're 27. Good for you for taking this step! I'm 44! I wanted to do this 5 years ago and went to one appointment and decided it wasn't the time for me. This year, I was doing it. No matter what. You're amazing for attempting to tackle this earlier rather than later.

1 hour ago, JanJan19 said:

HI! You state you have anxiety - are you not getting any meds for it now? I have clinical anxiety and depression & took a Xanax the morning of surgery and was okay. I feel like I almost just mentally tune out for something this big. I don't know if that makes any sense. My surgery was 4 days ago. Did I want to be there? No. Did I want to be poked and prodded and cut into? No. I just showed up and did it and didn't allow myself to think too much.

If it helps - the heparin you mention - they told me the same thing. This will burn, this might hurt. Honestly it didn't at all. Like a little pinch. No biggie. And they gave me that heparin shot every 8 hours of my stay. It never bothered me.

The things I went in worried about didn't really happen. The things I was confident about ending up being more of an issue. By which I mean - don't spend too much time agonizing over any one thing because it won't end up being the thing that even bothers you.

I went into the surgery so anxious about nausea. Nausea is not my friend. And it was - OKAY. I woke up okay, but the first 24 hours were rough, but you know what? I got through it. I had at least three separate times during that first night where I was sweating & feeling like I might barf, but I didn't. I sat on the bed and stared at the barf container (because that makes me feel better) & just breathed through it telling myself it would all be different in a few minutes. Tomorrow. A few days. It's the same way I get through the flu. I'm gonna live, just breathe.

I went in so overconfident about the pain. I didn't think the pain would be an issue & then there I was the first 24 hours were rough. But again, somewhere around hour 25 it was all tolerable. I had my surgery on Thursday - I slept on my stomach last night - Sunday.

Also, you're 27. Good for you for taking this step! I'm 44! I wanted to do this 5 years ago and went to one appointment and decided it wasn't the time for me. This year, I was doing it. No matter what. You're amazing for attempting to tackle this earlier rather than later.

I do hope that I have only set myself back by a few weeks. I am waiting for my psych appointments to make a decision and officially ask for my new surgery date. According to the program coordinator, it may take a little convincing to my surgeon that I will not back out again. She only saw me after I had calmed down enough to act normal (I still wasn't thinking logically, I was only acting normal because they had agreed to unhook me and I was no longer going to be in the situation causing the panic attack) so she thought that I was of sound mind when making the decision. I hope at the very least (if needed) I can meet with her and talk to her about the anxiety I was experiencing. The nurses saw me and the male nurse kept telling me I needed to work on my breathing (telling someone who is having a panic attack to calm down, news flash, doesn't work. For me it makes it worse.) While the program coordinator has assured me that I haven't missed my chance, I cannot help but think that I have.

I just have to keep a positive outlook and get this done!

Act contrite and sincere, tell them you realize your error but are now recognized towards the surgery, Might not hurt to ask for some " Relaxing Happy Juice" your mind is now willing, it was just your body that was a little weak.
And when it does happen for you, I will be one of your Biggest Cheerleaders! Pinky Swear!

On 5/24/2019 at 2:54 AM, xandriuh said:

Hello,
So I was at the hospital getting my IV and injections for surgery that was 30 minutes away. The nurses were having issues with my IV and they ended up trying 3 different times. As she was telling me how much the Heparin injection was going to hurt I started crying uncontrollably, shaking, turned ghost white and was having a major panic attack. I ended up telling them that I couldn't do any of it and I just wanted to go home because I was so overcome with emotions and felt like I was going to die at that moment. Before they gave me an IV I explained to them that I have really bad anxiety and they did not give me anything nor even offer it until I couldn't control myself and wanted to not be touched.

I ended up going home because no one could reason with me in that state and I really regret it because it would have been over and done with but there was no logical thinking in that moment. I spoke to my bariatric program coordinator and she told me I have 6 months to make a decision and get anxiety treatment. I made an appointment with a psych to both talk and seek medication as well. My panic attacks are so random I never know what is going to trigger it and it has been a long time since I have been in a situation that caused it. I want surgery because I have unexplained infertility and have a bmi of over 45. I am 27 as well. Has anyone with anxiety issues chickened out and ended up getting it done eventually.

I think I understand how you might have felt. I didn't have as serious anxiety attack, but did have a lot of self talk reminding myself of the greater good. Fortunately I was already on the operating table when it hit the hardest. I recall telling the anesthesiologist I was feeling anxious..... Next thing I know, I'm in recovery with my husband by my side. That was February 11, 2019 and about 45 pounds lighter.

I hope that you are able to work through your issues so that you are able to go ahead.

But I have a question, what happens in cases like this, do you get charged a fee? I imagine that there would be costs involved for the surgeon and his/her team.

24 minutes ago, elcee said:

I hope that you are able to work through your issues so that you are able to go ahead.

But I have a question, what happens in cases like this, do you get charged a fee? I imagine that there would be costs involved for the surgeon and his/her team.

Not with the insurance I have, there is no copay and no cost to me. I want to tread lightly because, by all means, I do not wish to cost anyone anything or have anyone front the cost for me. I certainly do not take for granted the coverage I have. I am a college student who takes a double full-time course load and I do not work at the time. Due to this, I have what is considered Medicare coverage. I certainly wanted to get it done during this time because of the coverage and so I will be able to work once I graduate.

Hello Xandriuh, please cut yourself some slack as Anxiety Disorder is indeed a medical condition and like all medical conditions, we cannot blame ourselves when we have an exacerbation of the condition....is like being mad at an asthmatic for having an Asthma attack or a Diabetic for having high blood sugars... these things happen within the context of the disorder. For someone with Anxiety, having surgery, no matter how benign or how knowing how low the risk is intellectually, it will trigger an attack and you "can't help it" at that moment.

I am a big proponent of things always happen for a reason and what seem bad and awful one moment may be a blessing in hindsight. In my opinion, the amount of self reflection you have done and your proactive working on your self for the future has been well worth the incident. This anxiety attack may be the attack that prevents future and may be more consequential attacks.

Relax, your surgeon will understand, you will not be the first, nor the last person that has had to cancel surgery on the day of surgery.

Take care and keep your chin up. See you at the loser's bench.

Cheers