Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chickened Out On Surgery Day. Help.

Hello,
So I was at the hospital getting my IV and injections for surgery that was 30 minutes away. The nurses were having issues with my IV and they ended up trying 3 different times. As she was telling me how much the Heparin injection was going to hurt I started crying uncontrollably, shaking, turned ghost white and was having a major panic attack. I ended up telling them that I couldn't do any of it and I just wanted to go home because I was so overcome with emotions and felt like I was going to die at that moment. Before they gave me an IV I explained to them that I have really bad anxiety and they did not give me anything nor even offer it until I couldn't control myself and wanted to not be touched.

I ended up going home because no one could reason with me in that state and I really regret it because it would have been over and done with but there was no logical thinking in that moment. I spoke to my bariatric program coordinator and she told me I have 6 months to make a decision and get anxiety treatment. I made an appointment with a psych to both talk and seek medication as well. My panic attacks are so random I never know what is going to trigger it and it has been a long time since I have been in a situation that caused it. I want surgery because I have unexplained infertility and have a bmi of over 45. I am 27 as well. Has anyone with anxiety issues chickened out and ended up getting it done eventually.

We do get occasional cases on here, I suspect,they are only the Icebergs tip. To a man they all say" I'm sorry I backed out the first attempt, it did give me an opportunity to know and except myself. better.than I am so glad in had it done! Wish,it had been sooner!" the majority seem to be VSG but Bypassers are also represented.
I am also a Panic Attack,person,but something,odd,ihavent had more than 1 tiny since,my surgery last September, eitber,i was am more happy and satisfied with myself or it actually had a role in making,it and depressive moments to go away!👈😝👉

Wow!!! That really sucks... Hope u reconsider and give yourself an option to move forward if you can conquer your nerves... Everyone gets nervous. Maybe talk to your surgeon or a therapist. Good luck to you....

I have anxiety attacks, but I didn't have one with surgery. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know it's disappointing for you. Talk with a good therapist and maybe get on some anti-anxiety medication and they'll be able to reschedule you for the surgery. Good luck!

Wow!!! That really sucks... Hope u reconsider and give yourself an option to move forward if you can conquer your nerves... Everyone gets nervous. Maybe talk to your surgeon or a therapist. Good luck to you....

Just an awareness thing and no judgement, but ‘nerves’ and clinical anxiety are totally different things, same way ‘feeling low’ isn’t in the same ball park as depresssion. Likely preaching to the converted, if so I’m sorry, but trivialising can have a really isolating effect on people who are already vulnerable having dared to share.

Anxiety sucks. Therapy is the best route. But I have to say that there are always triggers, not trying to argue here or make anyone feel bad. I have anxiety and I have a daughter that has anxiety as well....

More often than not we start the conversation ourselves in our heads. Therapy will identify all of that. It is usually a much deeper issue. Hang in there, good luck.

If you follow through again in the future maybe they will prescribe you anti-anxiety meds for the morning of surgery.

Surgery may be your key to helping your infertility.

Good luck!

Hello,
So I was at the hospital getting my IV and injections for surgery that was 30 minutes away. The nurses were having issues with my IV and they ended up trying 3 different times. As she was telling me how much the Heparin injection was going to hurt I started crying uncontrollably, shaking, turned ghost white and was having a major panic attack. I ended up telling them that I couldn't do any of it and I just wanted to go home because I was so overcome with emotions and felt like I was going to die at that moment. Before they gave me an IV I explained to them that I have really bad anxiety and they did not give me anything nor even offer it until I couldn't control myself and wanted to not be touched.

I ended up going home because no one could reason with me in that state and I really regret it because it would have been over and done with but there was no logical thinking in that moment. I spoke to my bariatric program coordinator and she told me I have 6 months to make a decision and get anxiety treatment. I made an appointment with a psych to both talk and seek medication as well. My panic attacks are so random I never know what is going to trigger it and it has been a long time since I have been in a situation that caused it. I want surgery because I have unexplained infertility and have a bmi of over 45. I am 27 as well. Has anyone with anxiety issues chickened out and ended up getting it done eventually.
If you try it again? They can give you medication for anxiety. I had to have it before my procedure last month. Its usually not a problem especially if it is on your chart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

Can you ask your team if they can prescribe something for your surgery day? Something that’ll calm your nerves?

On 5/24/2019 at 2:42 PM, NYJenn said:

Can you ask your team if they can prescribe something for your surgery day? Something that’ll calm your nerves?

I asked them and they said that they "think they can" but they won't guarantee it. I am talking to a doctor this week I have a few appointments set so I can both have talking therapy as well as looking into medication. I think the surgeon wants to be assured that I am getting treatment and will not back out again before they agree on anything. I can understand if they feel that way. I am just starting to realize that anxiety never goes away, It had been a long time since I have had an anxiety attack and you forget how it feels.

Just like you I started to freak out when the nurses began putting in IVs and drawing blood. Out of nowhere I started uncontrollably crying. With all the nerves I just couldn’t help it. Now, 6 weeks out I’m extremely happy things went the way they did and I didn’t back out. Don’t worry Im sure everything will work out and you’ll get your chance.

3 minutes ago, jcardi1133 said:

Just like you I started to freak out when the nurses began putting in IVs and drawing blood. Out of nowhere I started uncontrollably crying. With all the nerves I just couldn’t help it. Now, 6 weeks out I’m extremely happy things went the way they did and I didn’t back out. Don’t worry Im sure everything will work out and you’ll get your chance.

I really hope that I do. Maybe I needed the chance to work on myself and get me to the point where I am ready. I feel regret for not getting it done and when I was freaking out I didn't think of that. I couldn't think straight at all. I really do hope that I can work on me in the meantime and get this done!

i was so anxious but im so so happy i did it!!

Me Too and now the rest of my life will be the best of my life. That's my commitment and I'm sticking to it!

1 hour ago, Sbetsy said:

i was so anxious but im so so happy i did it!!

I am going to the doctor and psych this week, I am hoping to reschedule and make it to the losers bench in not too long. I have decided to not let it hold me back and am working on losing weight in the meantime. The lower my weight the lower the risk so hopefully it will let me ease my anxiety just a little bit more.