Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 hours ago, DeeTee said:

Hi... I have entertained the thought of going to the sleeve but my long term concern is around stretching. Has anyone experienced that?

My stomach was stretched due to complications with the band. It's all about how you use your tool. Don't overeat and don't drink with your food and it won't stretch.

Hello All!

I'm glad to see that there are a few of us having this conversation. I just remet with the surgeon yesterday to discuss a lap-band revision. And I'm experiencing the same insurance issues that DeeTee mentioned. I've had my band for almost 11 years (hard to believe). Basically, my surgeon is treating me like a new patient for surgical purposes. I have to show six months of weight loss supervision, go through a bunch of tests, see the psychologist, talk to the dietician, and so on, and so on. Last time I basically started in July had had the surgery in September.

I talked to the surgeon about switching to either the sleeve or the bypass. His recommendation, since I don't have diabetes, was to go with the sleeve. I'd done the research ahead of time and had come to this decision, but it was nice to at least hear the surgeon supporting my basic decision.

Like Banded in AZ, I also have experienced esophageal problems, specifically esophageal dilation. Honestly, I didn't know that was even a complication. Admittedly, I had been a bad bander and hadn't had an adjustment in quite some time. The surgeon actually gave me an adjustment yesterday, which was weird, and he took out quite a bit of liquid. Apparently, food was just sitting in my esophagus and slowing getting squeezed through the band for years.

I'm also the first to admit that I feel like some kind of band failure. It's like one of the docs in the practice always says, they don't have a lap-band for your brain. I learned how to eat around the band so quickly. Combine that with most of my favorite foods seem to be mushy to begin with, and it just set me up for band problems.

Part of me still thinks I should give the lap-band a chance, but then it's been 11 years. My surgeons don't even perform that many lap-bands anymore because of how bad the outcomes research is now.

As for those of you who have made the switch, has weight loss been "easier" with the sleeve? I'm primarily worried about long-term weight loss, stretching, and GERD. What are people's experiences?

Jason

I’m 2 months out band to ds, down 37 pounds, they said it comes off slower after revisions but I’ll get there. I’ve had a couple nights with bile reflux but it’s controlled with meds (I didn’t take anything the nights it happened) and I’m told it goes away with time. No vomiting, I feel good, I can get in my Protein and only regret not doing it sooner

On 7/28/2019 at 12:47 AM, JasonSWrench said:

Hello All!

I'm glad to see that there are a few of us having this conversation. I just remet with the surgeon yesterday to discuss a lap-band revision. And I'm experiencing the same insurance issues that DeeTee mentioned. I've had my band for almost 11 years (hard to believe). Basically, my surgeon is treating me like a new patient for surgical purposes. I have to show six months of weight loss supervision, go through a bunch of tests, see the psychologist, talk to the dietician, and so on, and so on. Last time I basically started in July had had the surgery in September.

I talked to the surgeon about switching to either the sleeve or the bypass. His recommendation, since I don't have diabetes, was to go with the sleeve. I'd done the research ahead of time and had come to this decision, but it was nice to at least hear the surgeon supporting my basic decision.

Like Banded in AZ, I also have experienced esophageal problems, specifically esophageal dilation. Honestly, I didn't know that was even a complication. Admittedly, I had been a bad bander and hadn't had an adjustment in quite some time. The surgeon actually gave me an adjustment yesterday, which was weird, and he took out quite a bit of liquid. Apparently, food was just sitting in my esophagus and slowing getting squeezed through the band for years.

I'm also the first to admit that I feel like some kind of band failure. It's like one of the docs in the practice always says, they don't have a lap-band for your brain. I learned how to eat around the band so quickly. Combine that with most of my favorite foods seem to be mushy to begin with, and it just set me up for band problems.

Part of me still thinks I should give the lap-band a chance, but then it's been 11 years. My surgeons don't even perform that many lap-bands anymore because of how bad the outcomes research is now.

As for those of you who have made the switch, has weight loss been "easier" with the sleeve? I'm primarily worried about long-term weight loss, stretching, and GERD. What are people's experiences?

Jason

Hey Jason,

I'm in a similar situation. Had my band for 13 years and having it out on Aug 26th. Dr. does removal and then revision in a second surgery 3 or more months later. One of my main complaints with the band is heartburn and my Dr. said if you have Heartburn with the band you are likely to have it with Sleeve as well so they recommend bypass for me.

Best of luck!

Lori

Hello All!
My band to RNY revision is scheduled for 9/13.
Honestly, my decision for bypass was 2 fold:
1. Complications due to band failure.
Even today, after having all of the Fluid removed four years ago due to recurrent gastritis and esophageal spasms, I still struggle daily with never knowing what will get stuck, terrible reflux, sliming constantly with every meal, the chest pressure with eating anything, the nightly gas pains under my collar bones, vomiting, and belly pain. All this while eating way smaller portions than most, just to almost be back to my pre-lap band weight, plus all the problems I didn’t have before the lapband. I feel like I’m a Prius in the metabolism race. I apparently hold onto every single calorie I ingest, so malabsorption as a tool might be a more effective option for me. And removing the ban will take care of the issues.
2. My surgeon prefers band to bypass when there is a history of GERD. From my understanding gerd after sleeve is quite common. Enough so that one of the local research hospitals is currently doing clinical trials for a procedure to treat reflux specifically for post sleeve patients. I’m already experiencing a life of reflux and anything I can do to make that better instead of potentially worse is where I’m looking. I really don’t want the acute gastritis and spasms again! Nothing like heart attack like symptoms to get you started:(
My revision was requested as general surgery instead of bariatric, due to all of the complications, and approved 2 weeks after being submitted.
I will be having my revision in one surgery. I specifically requested that from my surgeon. He is comfortable with and has experience doing it all at once, so that is my plan. I’m very adverse to two rounds under anesthesia and post op recoveries.

One of the folks who post on the forums has a favorite saying: YMMV. Your Milage May Vary. Basically, your journey is your journey. Whatever decision you and your surgeon make whether bypass or sleeve is the right one for you. You have to feel confident and empowered in the decision process. It’s your health! Educate yourself, don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself and make the best choice for YOU.
Good vibes to us all!

I’m a band to mini-gastric bypass and it was the BEST decision I ever made. I had trouble with my band from the get-go. It sprung a leak early on so I never got restriction and spent the first nine months of my honeymoon wondering why I could still eat a full steak and everyone else was complaining about being full after a teaspoon of tuna. Had it fixed but it never really worked. Either too tight or too loose and when I moved O/Ṣ I just gave up and ate around it. I used to feel embarrassed to tell people I’d had a Lapband years ago and yet here I was north of 140 kilos.

I’m about ten months out from my revision, surgery went brilliantly. My surgeon did a single operation to remove the band and give me my bypass but he had to make my stomach pouch larger b/c of Lapband scarring. I don’t mind b/c I’ve slowly lost 2/3rds of my excess weight, am just about to hit Onderland and I feel bloomin’ brilliant. Even if I never lost another kilo I love my life so much more now.

Hello Everyone, I was banded 2/27/2012. The band has been nothing but problems for me. My primary doctor has been wanting me to get this removed but I was scared. The doctor that did my lapband isn’t doing it anymore so I had to find another surgeon. I finally had my appointment with him and couldn’t be happier. I did loose some weight but back at 230. My lowest was only 186 in 2014. I am having a revision to the sleeve. Can’t wait for my surgery date but I am excited.

Edited by Msbosse

On 8/17/2019 at 12:16 AM, TX2NC said:

Hello All!
My band to RNY revision is scheduled for 9/13.
Honestly, my decision for bypass was 2 fold:
1. Complications due to band failure.
Even today, after having all of the Fluid removed four years ago due to recurrent gastritis and esophageal spasms, I still struggle daily with never knowing what will get stuck, terrible reflux, sliming constantly with every meal, the chest pressure with eating anything, the nightly gas pains under my collar bones, vomiting, and belly pain. All this while eating way smaller portions than most, just to almost be back to my pre-lap band weight, plus all the problems I didn’t have before the lapband. I feel like I’m a Prius in the metabolism race. I apparently hold onto every single calorie I ingest, so malabsorption as a tool might be a more effective option for me. And removing the ban will take care of the issues.
2. My surgeon prefers band to bypass when there is a history of GERD. From my understanding gerd after sleeve is quite common. Enough so that one of the local research hospitals is currently doing clinical trials for a procedure to treat reflux specifically for post sleeve patients. I’m already experiencing a life of reflux and anything I can do to make that better instead of potentially worse is where I’m looking. I really don’t want the acute gastritis and spasms again! Nothing like heart attack like symptoms to get you started:(
My revision was requested as general surgery instead of bariatric, due to all of the complications, and approved 2 weeks after being submitted.
I will be having my revision in one surgery. I specifically requested that from my surgeon. He is comfortable with and has experience doing it all at once, so that is my plan. I’m very adverse to two rounds under anesthesia and post op recoveries.

One of the folks who post on the forums has a favorite saying: YMMV. Your Milage May Vary. Basically, your journey is your journey. Whatever decision you and your surgeon make whether bypass or sleeve is the right one for you. You have to feel confident and empowered in the decision process. It’s your health! Educate yourself, don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself and make the best choice for YOU.
Good vibes to us all!

Thank so much for sharing my surgeon is doing the same removing my band and doing the sleeve in one surgery. Best wishes to you.