Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band revision

Hi all I was just curious if anyone had chosen a lap band revision and if they had gone through and did a different surgery are they happier that they did and when did they have to go to the same requirements for insurance that they did the first time around like psychiatric exam and the six-month diet the second time?

Bump.. still curious

I’m having revision in a week from lapband to sleeve with ds. The process to get the revision approved may actually have been harder at least for me. I got my band 9 years ago and they accepted my weight watchers membership as 6 month diet. This time I had to do way more tests plus dr weight loss for 6 months (I lost nothing) and the psych evaluation too. My band has been nothing but trouble the last 2.5 years. I gained back 50 pounds from when it started acting up.

Im ready to have the control again over food

Hello Dee Tee,
I guess it depends on the insurance and the surgeon. After 7 years of the lapband of which the final 6 months were hell and bondage! I'd had enough. I self paid for the lapband was why I tolerated it for that long. I found out my current insurance covered bariatric surgery so I bit the bullet and met with the surgeon April 24th, got approval for lapband removal as my surgeon does 2 separate surgeries so that stomach can heal (I was initially gutted that I couldn't have the sleeve done simultaneously but now I am glad for all the research and preparation it afforded me).
My surgeon was convinced that for Aetna, I had to do the process of 4 months supervised nutritional visits, psych evaluation, etc was needed again to qualify for the approval especially as my BMI is 35 (I am prediabetic and have been prescribed metformin which was my final straw by the way!!).
I asked the surgeon's office review to please submit the one surgeon note that was in my file for the lapband removal. I wanted to know my fate early on and not go through all the hoops and be denied honestly!
She submitted May 1st initially but they had the wrong CPT code, found that out May 8th, she then resubmitted May 15th and I was approved May 29th!! Even unbeknownst to my surgeon whom I saw May 30th for the first Dr. Supervised nutritional visit. I told her and she was flabbergasted as she didn't even know the office woman had submitted for approval. After that visit, I was given my surgery date as she said I didn't even need to do the 4 consecutive months visits any longer. She just needed 6 weeks after the lap band removal.

My point is that it's okay to push the envelope and not even go with what the office says. Especially as this is for a revision.

The reason I pushed was to know my fate early. They wanted to give me a June surgery date but I chose to wait till August, chose to continue to see the nutritionist and learn everything I need for this new tool but it's at my own leisure without all the angst of approval swirling around my head.

Good luck!! I wanted to share my experience. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you both! I broke down and have an appointment next week to discuss a revision. I have had mine for 8 yrs and it hasn’t been a tool for the last 3 and started out with regaining 20 lb but the last year I packed on 30 more and don’t even know how. I didn’t think about two separate surgeries, glad you brought up the healing as I was hoping to knock it out in 1 only because I don’t like going under Anastasia.

Can I ask why you both are going to the sleeve over the Bypass?

I am having the lapband out at the same time, it may be different if yours has slipped but mine just kept causing my esophagus to stretch if I felt any restriction otherwise everything went down. I always heard horror stories about the regular bypass, knew several people who had issues. My dr recommended the sleeve/ds combo for me and the one person I know who did it that way had amazing success. My BMI is 53, with no other issues. I’m 41 and my surgeon documented future joint issues and the issues with my band,

Thank you both! I broke down and have an appointment next week to discuss a revision. I have had mine for 8 yrs and it hasn’t been a tool for the last 3 and started out with regaining 20 lb but the last year I packed on 30 more and don’t even know how. I didn’t think about two separate surgeries, glad you brought up the healing as I was hoping to knock it out in 1 only because I don’t like going under Anastasia.
I am having the sleeve done as this was what my surgeon recommended. I have gone back and forth with both the sleeve and the Bypass with uncountable research but will go with what my doc recommended.

About doing the removal and the revision simultaneously or separately appears to be surgeon dependent. So, your surgeon could do do it simultaneously.
My lapband never slipped and I didn't have any damage after the removal or during the surgery. Life just went a bit better afterwards. I did gain 6lbs in 3 weeks so I couldn't be more sure about the revision.

Good luck and keep is updated as I would as well.
Cheers.

15 hours ago, Gaylancsu said:

I am having the lapband out at the same time, it may be different if yours has slipped but mine just kept causing my esophagus to stretch if I felt any restriction otherwise everything went down. I always heard horror stories about the regular bypass, knew several people who had issues. My dr recommended the sleeve/ds combo for me and the one person I know who did it that way had amazing success. My BMI is 53, with no other issues. I’m 41 and my surgeon documented future joint issues and the issues with my band,

15 hours ago, Deedee12 said:

I am having the sleeve done as this was what my surgeon recommended. I have gone back and forth with both the sleeve and the Bypass with uncountable research but will go with what my doc recommended.

About doing the removal and the revision simultaneously or separately appears to be surgeon dependent. So, your surgeon could do do it simultaneously.
My lapband never slipped and I didn't have any damage after the removal or during the surgery. Life just went a bit better afterwards. I did gain 6lbs in 3 weeks so I couldn't be more sure about the revision.

Good luck and keep is updated as I would as well.
Cheers.

I wish you luck and imagine this next week will be a lot of excitement. Do keep us posted. Wishing you the best of success.

15 hours ago, Gaylancsu said:

I am feeling the joint pain today and was one of the things I wanted to ward off myself. I need to get moving and am anxious about what I find out next week.

I am feeling the joint pain today and was one of the things I wanted to ward off myself. I need to get moving and am anxious about what I find out next week.
I'm sorry about the joint pain Gaylanscu, but in the next few months life will be different and hopefully joint pain will be a thing of the past for you soon!!, Yay!!!!
Good luck and keep us posted! Definitely thinking of you as you embark on this life changing journey!

I revised from Band to VSG 8 weeks ago

My insurance did not pay for the band 10 years ago -- but different insurance and a doctor who wrote up the request based on the esophogeal issues got an approval within a week.

No pre-op diet, no psych eval --- I met with the Nutritionist to go over the post-op plan and did a 1 hour orientation at the hospital --- so, had my surgery within a month of going in for an office visit to discuss reflux and weight gain.

Really happy I did it. I am down 20 pounds in 8 weeks (at age 61) and removal of Fluid from my band relieved the reflux almost immediately -- and it has not come back with the VSG.

Well this is Wonderful News to hear and may everything move well for you from now on!

I revised from Band to VSG 8 weeks ago
My insurance did not pay for the band 10 years ago -- but different insurance and a doctor who wrote up the request based on the esophogeal issues got an approval within a week.
No pre-op diet, no psych eval --- I met with the Nutritionist to go over the post-op plan and did a 1 hour orientation at the hospital --- so, had my surgery within a month of going in for an office visit to discuss reflux and weight gain.
Really happy I did it. I am down 20 pounds in 8 weeks (at age 61) and removal of Fluid from my band relieved the reflux almost immediately -- and it has not come back with the VSG.
So happy for you!! I can't wait to join you!! Please keep us posted!!!!

I was banded in 2005, had it removed July 2018, and sleeved June 2019.

My band was slipped and I didn't know it. But I also didn't care. I had gained all my weight back and was eating with no difficulties. I could eat 6 pieces of pizza with no troubles. (MAN I miss pizza).

So far so good. I'm only one week out with the sleeve though.

Hi... I have entertained the thought of going to the sleeve but my long term concern is around stretching. Has anyone experienced that?