Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, so this sounds totally dumb, but I am self pay, and my surgery date is June 3rd, which is only days away!! I dropped off the check to my surgeon this morning when I had my Pre-admissions work-up completed, and now I am freaking out.. :( Scared, overwhelmed, nervous, anxious, excited, happy, elated, and just any possible emotion you can think of.. But the main emotion I am feeling right now is FEAR!! And I can't even explain why.. I have been heavy all my life -- I am 5'5" and I weigh 275 lbs. for goodness sakes! I think I am scared of failing, and not overcoming my food addictions. And I have searched high and low for just ONE person that regrets this, and I haven't found that person yet, so everything in my brain is telling me I am doing the right thing, but I am STILL SCARED... Advice please???

19 minutes ago, Ohcinders said:

OK, so this sounds totally dumb, but I am self pay, and my surgery date is June 3rd, which is only days away!! I dropped off the check to my surgeon this morning when I had my Pre-admissions work-up completed, and now I am freaking out.. :( Scared, overwhelmed, nervous, anxious, excited, happy, elated, and just any possible emotion you can think of.. But the main emotion I am feeling right now is FEAR!! And I can't even explain why.. I have been heavy all my life -- I am 5'5" and I weigh 275 lbs. for goodness sakes! I think I am scared of failing, and not overcoming my food addictions. And I have searched high and low for just ONE person that regrets this, and I haven't found that person yet, so everything in my brain is telling me I am doing the right thing, but I am STILL SCARED... Advice please???

My surgery is 3 days after yours, and I'm feeling all those emotions. It's enough that it's a surgery, but it's something that will change your life. I've been big ever since I was a kid. I was a skinny kid, and then I turned into a fat kid. food has been a huge part of my life. But, I keep reminding myself that this is for my health and my overall well being. It's not just so I look good. I already look good (I kid). But I want to feel better. I don't want to be tired and I don't want to feel uncomfortable. That's what I keep reminding myself of. I am having a huge amount of anxiety...but, from what I've heard, that's normal. So remember that. Only you can determine if you're ready. YOu must be, because if not, you wouldn't be at this point. You can do it, and it will all be ok.

Thank you!! I am glad my feelings are "normal". I am going to follow you, if you don't mind ~~ we can watch each others progress :) And I, like you, am not doing this to "wear a bikini" or anything like that ~~ I would just like to cross my legs again and not breathe hard when I walk ;)

My stats are very similar to yours. I had the sleeve surgery May 2 and already feel like I hit the jackpot. I feel so much better, I look better and my whole demeanor is more upbeat and less depressed. I've already lost 35 pounds since the beginning of the preop diet.

Anxiety and fear of the unknown is normal. Think about why you initially started down this path...

23 minutes ago, Ohcinders said:

Thank you!! I am glad my feelings are "normal". I am going to follow you, if you don't mind ~~ we can watch each others progress :) And I, like you, am not doing this to "wear a bikini" or anything like that ~~ I would just like to cross my legs again and not breathe hard when I walk ;)

You're not alone in all this. Just remember that. I went and saw my regular doctor today. He was telling me how much better I was going to feel. Hearing those kinds of things ease the fear a bit.

20 minutes ago, Flakeranger said:

My stats are very similar to yours. I had the sleeve surgery May 2 and already feel like I hit the jackpot. I feel so much better, I look better and my whole demeanor is more upbeat and less depressed. I've already lost 35 pounds since the beginning of the preop diet.

Anxiety and fear of the unknown is normal. Think about why you initially started down this path...

you, my dear, are a ROCKSTAR!

What you're feeling is completely normal! I felt it before the surgery, on the day of surgery, a month after, 2 months after.....BUT....this is my 3rd month now, and guess what? I can tell you right now, I completely 100% DO NOT regret it!!! It will be a roller coaster ride my friend, but you'll look amazing, feel amazing, happier and healthier. A month after my surgery, my blood pressure is under control and my husband and I and our dog now can walk 2 miles a day!

1 month post op, I felt so depressed! I couldn't socialize during lunch breaks or attend gatherings because I had to relearn how to eat. If I break concentration, there's a huge chance that I can throw up (which I've done btw about 5 times now). Now, I have learned believe it or not, to eat slowly, and most of the time I stop when I feel full :-)

Good Luck. Imagine how active you're going to be 3 months from now. Fear is normal, but hang on to the imagination of the healthier, happier, thinner, more active you!

This is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. No regrets! So excited to see where this journey takes me.

Your life will change drastically for the better, but it is not all roses and rainbows. Get some therapy or read some books, or find Dr. Duc Vuong's youtube videos, or Dr. Weiner.

Even after you get the hang of this journey, all kinds of long buried emotions will come out of left field and it's no picnic. Relationships will change because you have changed. Read, get therapy. It will be the ride of your life, and amazing but it requires lots of head work, heart work, and change. Good luck.

1 minute ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Your life will change drastically for the better, but it is not all roses and rainbows. Get some therapy or read some books, or find Dr. Duc Vuong's youtube videos, or Dr. Weiner.

Even after you get the hang of this journey, all kinds of long buried emotions will come out of left field and it's no picnic. Relationships will change because you have changed. Read, get therapy. It will be the ride of your life, and amazing but it requires lots of head work, heart work, and change. Good luck.

Fantastic advice!

1 hour ago, Ohcinders said:

Imagine 1.5 yrs from now when you are well under 175lbs you won't even remember this post

You'll be living your best life...

Edited by GreenTealael

OK, so this sounds totally dumb, but I am self pay, and my surgery date is June 3rd, which is only days away!! I dropped off the check to my surgeon this morning when I had my Pre-admissions work-up completed, and now I am freaking out.. [emoji20] Scared, overwhelmed, nervous, anxious, excited, happy, elated, and just any possible emotion you can think of.. But the main emotion I am feeling right now is FEAR!! And I can't even explain why.. I have been heavy all my life -- I am 5'5" and I weigh 275 lbs. for goodness sakes! I think I am scared of failing, and not overcoming my food addictions. And I have searched high and low for just ONE person that regrets this, and I haven't found that person yet, so everything in my brain is telling me I am doing the right thing, but I am STILL SCARED... Advice please???
A little over a week ago I was right where you're at.

A few days before surgery I was doing a whole lot of second guessing and indulging my worst fears. It ebbed and flowed through those last couple of days, and even when I arrived at the hospital I was a bundle of nerves.

It wasn't until I walked into that OR and hopped up on the table that I started to relax.

Hang in there! You are super close. Indulge in things that help you relax (that aren't food of course), and remind yourself to breathe. You got this!

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey there..

Don't be so hard on yourself! None of us would be having this surgery if we were SO good at following diets and exercise. The surgery is a fantastic tool. You just simply can't eat even a quarter of the food you used to, so you will lose weight in the early days no matter what you eat.

As time goes on though, that dramatic weight slows, and then you might stall if you are still are eating foods high in sugar and carbs. I think this is the hard part. I am 14 months post sleeve and have lost 75lbs which is great because my goal was to lose 90lbs. That would get me into a healthy BMI range. So this last 15lbs is harder than the first!

Do I regret it? No, because I feel physically so much better, I have been taken off my blood pressure and cholesterol meds, I have dropped 4 dress sizes and found my cheekbones and my waist again :)

But yes, eating out is difficult, I suffer from dumping which can be awful. And sometimes food tastes SO good, and I get frustrated that I can only eat 2 mouthfuls. And this is the new status quo for the rest of my life. I wish I had been strong enough to lose the weight without the surgery, but it was too much for me. Now I am ok with that... I wasn't in the beginning.

Good luck... You will be awesome! Trust me!

those feelings are pretty normal. As far as buyer's remorse, I've been participating in the bariatric community for probably six years, and I know (or know of) VERY few people who have regretted it. They all had complications - but complications are pretty rare, as I'm sure you've been told. I'd guess at least 95% of the people who've gone through it are so happy they did.

I know exactly how you feel! Today was the day i found out my date which is July 18th and im feeling all those. Im also 5'5 and 275 lbs and ive been obese my entire life and i'm only 22 so i'm ready for this surgery im honestly more excited than anything else. Good luck on your surgery journey wish you nothing but the best! 😀