Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Eat When The Honeymoon Wears Off - OAC

This is a really solid article I came across today. It feels pretty universal that by about month 7-ish, our experience with our tool starts to shift and become a bit more challenging--for a variety of reasons. And one thing I certainly noticed was the larger capacity. Yikes! It's enough to send fear down my spine.

This article is by the OAC (Obesity Action Coalition) and just very very good information for all of you struggling!

image.thumb.png.23f0d077d2fa69cbad47b67a6caa881b.png

https://www.obesityaction.org/community/article-library/bariatric-surgery-what-to-eat-when-the-honeymoon-wears-off/?fbclid=IwAR3nOMFaPpF2bt33btVcOt2E1wg2ImQbm_xKQFyLogCMNK7A2gi2SWlmJSo

Has you honeymoon period started to wain or has it ended? Can you pinpoint at what month that happened?

Edited by FluffyChix

Not mine Fluffy Chix, remember I was on TPN feeding through my PICC line, put mine on hiatus, after it was dicontinued I droppe 30 pounds in the Month of March, I am currently losing 3-5 pounds a week, should make my goal weight if I still do as well my 1st anniversary or shortly after. Good when they originally said 18 months out! But if it does slowdown at 9 months I will still be grateful for my Second Honeymoon, it brought me closer to the losses of my peers.

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

This is a really solid article I cam across today. It feels pretty universal that by about month 7-ish, our experience with our tool starts to shift and become a bit more challenging--for a variety of reasons. And one thing I certainly noticed was the larger capacity. Yikes! It's enough to send fear down my spine.

This article is by the OAC (Obesity Action Coalition) and just very very good information for all of you struggling!

image.thumb.png.23f0d077d2fa69cbad47b67a6caa881b.png

https://www.obesityaction.org/community/article-library/bariatric-surgery-what-to-eat-when-the-honeymoon-wears-off/?fbclid=IwAR3nOMFaPpF2bt33btVcOt2E1wg2ImQbm_xKQFyLogCMNK7A2gi2SWlmJSo

Has you honeymoon period started to wain or has it ended? Can you pinpoint at what month that happened?

My honeymoon was over at three months out. I had a stall. It was that moment when I realized much of WLS is the work I put into it.

Years out, the scale is no longer a motivator. Life is normal. All the things listed in the article are habit for me.

Helpful article for the future! I'm 8 weeks post surgery, but am actively learning about the next steps. Thank you for posting it!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Dense Protein - like 3 oz of meat - is DEFINITELY more filling, but so often I want something like yogurt or cottage cheese instead. Good foods, yes, but they slide right through you. I really need to try to eat dense Proteins every day. It might not be such a struggle to maintain my weight if I did...

I fear my honeymoon period is coming to an end at 9 mos post surgery. I'm still losing, slowly, but I've been slipping in my food choices. It scares me but I'm trying to use it as a wake-up call to stay focused on working the program.

10 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

Dense Protein - like 3 oz of meat - is DEFINITELY more filling, but so often I want something like yogurt or cottage cheese instead. Good foods, yes, but they slide right through you. I really need to try to eat dense Proteins every day. It might not be such a struggle to maintain my weight if I did...

Dense is important. I coincidentally read two different things yesterday posted by bariatric authorities who discussed the importance of re-introducing solid foods to your new anatomy. Not only does it help with satiety but it's kinda like...if you don't use it, you lose it. And you need to have the solid food to maintain a well-working digestive system. So get those solids in. It's all about choices. Choose your hard, dear. :)

13 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

My honeymoon was over at three months out. I had a stall. It was that moment when I realized much of WLS is the work I put into it.

Years out, the scale is no longer a motivator. Life is normal. All the things listed in the article are habit for me.

I'm right there with you. I think my honeymoon was over at around the 7-8month mark, BUT my hunger awoke again about 2-3months out and I was exquisitely aware that I had little resistance from day one. I knew I had a larger anatomy from the beginning. And so I started before surgery practicing all those things in the article. LOL. So I wouldn't be that one person who failed weight loss surgery.

For me, RNY has been a "safety net" like a back-up measure for all the hard work I've put in to change my foods, change my portions, change WHEN, WHAT, HOW, and WHY I eat...even the WHERE I eat. I don't think I've had one free ride. And I've still had a crap ton of stalls along the way and slower weight loss. But meh...I'm so close to Goal #3 I can feel it! :)

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Dense is important. I coincidentally read two different things yesterday posted by bariatric authorities who discussed the importance of re-introducing solid foods to your new anatomy. Not only does it help with satiety but it's kinda like...if you don't use it, you lose it.

There could be something to that. I think one of the reasons I'd usually rather reach for the cottage cheese or yogurt is that it's easy on my system. Often things like meat or raw vegetables can be irritating (although I'll sometimes eat raw veggies for that very reason - to stop myself from mindless eating. It's hard to keep eating when your stomach's irritated!!)

I still like drinking Protein Shakes, but I learned from the article that eating solid food is important, so I'll try harder to do that. Good article, thanks for sharing.

My honeymoon period was over at 10 months. Since then I've only been able to lose between 0 and 4 pounds a month. With most months being 2 pounds. It's very hard to see any movement on the scale these days. And in the last 6 months I've only lost 14 pounds total (no inches off waist during this period). This includes a period where I was eating less then 1000 calories a day in order to speed up the weight loss. I've now started a 2nd massive Hair loss period which I believe was caused by that. I have hit my original goal but realize I need to lose a bit more as there are large pockets of fat (mainly belly, some arm) still there. I never really lost the hunger, although I'll occasionally have a day where I'm not very hungry. Right now I'm doing a lower fat, higher Protein, Keto type diet to try to lose belly fat. Also added more cardio, ACV, green tea supplements, and bio-identical hormones to see if they help.

Just now, nevermore71 said:

My honeymoon period was over at 10 months. Since then I've only been able to lose between 0 and 4 pounds a month. With most months being 2 pounds. It's very hard to see any movement on the scale these days. And in the last 6 months I've only lost 14 pounds total (no inches off waist during this period). This includes a period where I was eating less then 1000 calories a day in order to speed up the weight loss. I've now started a 2nd massive Hair loss period which I believe was caused by that. I have hit my original goal but realize I need to lose a bit more as there are large pockets of fat (mainly belly, some arm) still there. I never really lost the hunger, although I'll occasionally have a day where I'm not very hungry. Right now I'm doing a lower fat, higher Protein, Keto type diet to try to lose belly fat. Also added more cardio, ACV, green tea supplements, and bio-identical hormones to see if they help.

Keep swimmin, Dory! Don't lose the faith!!! WTG for muscling through and trying new things!!! Do you log, weigh and measure every bite that goes down your mouth?

Mine was long gone by 10months. LOL. So I feel your pain!

5 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Keep swimmin, Dory! Don't lose the faith!!! WTG for muscling through and trying new things!!! Do you log, weigh and measure every bite that goes down your mouth?

Mine was long gone by 10months. LOL. So I feel your pain!

I haven't been logging since I'm doing Keto. But generally do log my intake. And I don't weigh or measure every bite but I do if I'm in doubt. A part of me is scared to lose more weight as it seems to come off the areas I want to keep and not the areas I want gone. That's why I'm trying all the new things and trying for the "impossible" targeted weight loss. But I'm hanging in there and slow and steady wins the race. Hopefully.

You should be so proud of what you've accomplished. You've done so well. And are a great resource for this forum. Thanks.

Take the weight off. Then do lifting. But get the weight off. Studies show that there is no such thing as targeted fat loss short of doing liposuction. Sorry. :(