Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you reach your goal weight?

Everyone's journey is different and nobody should compare themselves to others, so this isn't meant to be a competition. I'm just curious as to how long post-sleeve it took people to reach their goal weight (either your personal one or the one your surgeon set for you, if those were different). I've seen a lot of people both here and in my real life say it took them around 6-8 months, but I don't know if this is "average" or just the number I happen to have seen most often by coincidence.

Oh, and people who have reached their goal weight - how good did it feel when you did? 😃

My Bariatric Team says at my one year anniversary date(September 5th) or shortly after. I would like to lose about 35 more pounds but my Surgeon's Right Hand Woman and Nurse Practioner Valerie would be thrilled and well-satisfied with just 15--16 more pounds from where I am at now. My feeling- if I am enrolled and completing the Weight Loss Olympics, why not go for the🏆 Gold, instead of Siver or Bronze?

I set a random goal for myself and met it in Jan 2019 (so 14 months post op but I bounce up and down a lot... Maintenance is crazy different than losing), I however met my Surgeons goal for me by 1 yr post op. They were satisfied so I was satified.

I felt surprised actually that mission was accomplished.

My surgeon's office says to expect it to take 12-18 months. Apparently I'm a slow loser, so it's going to take every bit of that. But I'm still happy with my progress, as any weight lost is better than no weight lost.

At the beginning of my 2 week pre-op liquid diet in October 2018, I was 235 lbs. My surgeon suggested that reaching 160 lbs within a year would be a success. I got to 160 lbs in 4 months (Feb 2019).

For a personal goal, I chose 120 lbs, which is in the middle of the "normal" BMI range for my height. I was in the 120's until I was about 30 yrs old, so I figure it was not impossible.

I'm almost 7 months post-op and I'm about 10 lbs to my personal goal. I figure at my current rate of loss, I should reach this by the end of next month. Then comes maintenance which will be another lifestyle change altogether...yikes.

At the beginning of my 2 week pre-op liquid diet in October 2018, I was 235 lbs. My surgeon suggested that reaching 160 lbs within a year would be a success. I got to 160 lbs in 4 months (Feb 2019).
For a personal goal, I chose 120 lbs, which is in the middle of the "normal" BMI range for my height. I was in the 120's until I was about 30 yrs old, so I figure it was not impossible.
I'm almost 7 months post-op and I'm about 10 lbs to my personal goal. I figure at my current rate of loss, I should reach this by the end of next month. Then comes maintenance which will be another lifestyle change altogether...yikes.
Are you doing any type of exercising to assist in weight loss?

Sent from my SM-J727P using BariatricPal mobile app

8 hours ago, egs93 said:

Everyone's journey is different and nobody should compare themselves to others, so this isn't meant to be a competition. I'm just curious as to how long post-sleeve it took people to reach their goal weight (either your personal one or the one your surgeon set for you, if those were different). I've seen a lot of people both here and in my real life say it took them around 6-8 months, but I don't know if this is "average" or just the number I happen to have seen most often by coincidence.

Oh, and people who have reached their goal weight - how good did it feel when you did? 😃

With the sleeve, I was told to expect to lose 65% of my excess body weight. I didn’t care if my loss was slow or fast. I just wanted to be healthy.

you cannot control your age, sex, hormones, genes, medical issues, complications, medications, illness etc. These will be factors in the amount and speed of weight loss. You can control how you work your plan. Weigh and Log your food, keep within your calories/macros, hydrate and exercise.

I reached goal of 140 in six months. This is not the norm. I’m five years out and maintain in the 130’s. I was more excited when I got under 200.

12 hours ago, LaShunn said:

Are you doing any type of exercising to assist in weight loss?

Sent from my SM-J727P using BariatricPal mobile app

I try to get in at least one hour of some type of exercise every day.

Mostly this consists of my daily minimum 5km walk around my neighbourhood. I may go to zumba or hot yoga (but haven't gone in about a month due to a new work contract). I hate strength training (and it shows! My butt is non-existant!), so I do maybe 30-45 minutes of this per week only.

I guess I also do a handful of push ups (and some situps and squats) cuz I participate in the May challenge hosted by @GreenTealael on this forum. But that's mostly for fun for this month and not really part of my normal routine.

my doctors goal was 210 lb (just under 8 months ) my personal goal is 200 the last ten pounds have been a s.o.b. just got to push harder to hit that and maintain it scale is still moving just like a turtle in hibernation (kinda slow ) we all do this in our time 12-18 months is what i was told it would take as some one else said im very dedicated to my health at this point almost hyper focused so i can hit that goal make you journey yours and enjoy the ride and the great success and the failures own them all and embrace and learn from both cheers to all !!!!

My goal is 150, I’m currently at 168. I REALLY want to hit my goal by the one year mark (7/10) so I’m going to work my tail off for the next six weeks

And. NYJenn, I sure hope you do make it! I am proud of YOU in advance!

I set 3 goals. Only two were weight related.

#1 was to be off all medication and my c-pap. I hit that goal at month 9.

#2 was my realistic weight goal which was to be the same weight I was when I was at the peak of my physical fitness as a college football player — that was 310 lbs. I hit thar goal at month 7-ish.

#3 was my vanity goal that I doubted I would hit. I wanted to weight 265 and finally be a normal BMI. I hit that goal in month 13.

Congratulations on All 3, it is great to meet each and feel better, isn't it?

I was sleeved 9/26/17. I hit my goal weight on 6/10/18. So a little under 9 months. I blew way past my goal though and lost an additional 25 pounds. I have been maintaining my weight loss for about 6 months now. I'm a bit skinnier than I planned, but it's kind of fun. I have never been this tiny! I have hit my goal weight many times throughout the years, but keeping the weight off is very satisfying. I am so used to either being on my way up or on my way down. I have never stayed put for this long. I see diet commercials pop up saying things like "do you need to lose weight?" and I'm all "NOPE."

Height: 5'9

SW: 268

GW: 170

CW:144.6

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:30 PM, lindycrush said:

I was sleeved 9/26/17. I hit my goal weight on 6/10/18. So a little under 9 months. I blew way past my goal though and lost an additional 25 pounds. I have been maintaining my weight loss for about 6 months now. I'm a bit skinnier than I planned, but it's kind of fun. I have never been this tiny! I have hit my goal weight many times throughout the years, but keeping the weight off is very satisfying. I am so used to either being on my way up or on my way down. I have never stayed put for this long. I see diet commercials pop up saying things like "do you need to lose weight?" and I'm all "NOPE."

Height: 5'9

SW: 268

GW: 170

CW:144.6

How soon after surgery did you start exercising? How often were you exercising, and what kinds of exercises were you doing?