Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waste or not to waste??

How many of you, Pre-Op, have gone through your refrigerator, pantry, etc... and ate or are still eating all the junk because you don't want to waste it by throwing it in the trash??

I'm so glad I live by myself. I don't know how all of you with families can resist the temptation with all the foods around that your other family members still eat. How many of you have managed to get your family to start eating healthier before they end up in our situation?

My adult daughter has started eating better - no Snacks, more veggies, and doing intermittant fasting. She is not heavy, but has still lost 12 pounds. My husband eats crap - hotdogs, processed meats, junk snacks, sweets, simple carbs, cheap pizza, sweetened beverages, hardly any veggies. He will never give this stuff up. He is not overweight, but has a bowling ball on his belly. I think years of poor eating has started to affect his memory and his mood. His choice.

Am I tempted? Nope. The only thing I asked is that he not bring tortilla chips into the house - my nemesis. I basically eat my healthy food and he eats his crap. It is what it is. I am only responsible for me and after all this surgery has done, I AM NOT GOING BACK. Nope, not tempted by his junk food because I know where I would end up and I am not going there again. IT IS JUST NOT WORTH IT.

One other thought - basically a matter of WASTE or WAIST!

I'd rather throw it to the chickens or in the trash than back on my belly and hips! That would be a real waste!

14 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

One other thought - basically a matter of WASTE or WAIST!

I'd rather throw it to the chickens or in the trash than back on my belly and hips! That would be a real waste!

I completely agree. I don't have any chickens though. LOL I had some stuff that I absolutely knew was no good for me so I threw it in the trash. There were a few items that weren't exactly unhealthy like some sausages and other stuff that I feel were ok sources of Protein but maybe had a bit more fat than needed but I ate them anyway. I definitely won't buy any more of the processed crap or anything full of carbs, sugars, starches, etc... Actually, right now my fridge is full of nothing but Protein shakes/drinks and Water.

Proud of you JamesL73, you're the Man of the Hour in my book!

I have a supportive Husband and 19 year old son at home.. they are good at bringing me to appointments and cheering me on but not too great about changing their habits for me, however I really didn’t expect them to and am not tempted at all by the junk anymore( a SHEER MIRACLE) I really didn’t expect to be able to avoid it all so easily.. I’m so grateful and so amazed .. my dad passed away on March 28th and as an almost reflex I came home and stuffed my face with ( of all things) dry chicken .. vomited , composed myself and realized I could no longer "use” food to solve anything, I could no longer use it to anesthetize myself with it any longer.. I had a pity party for myself and moved on.. I am slowly becoming the person I knew I could be.. with all that surgery gave me.. why would I mess that up???

Edited by Carrot64

3 minutes ago, Carrot64 said:

I have a supportive Husband and 19 year old son at home.. they are good at bringing me to appointments and cheering me on but not too great about changing their habits for me, however I really didn’t expect them to and am not tempted at all by the junk anymore( a SHEER MIRACLE) I really didn’t expect to be able to avoid it all so easily.. I’m so grateful and so amazed .. my dad passed away on March 28th and as an almost reflex I came home and stuffed my face with ( of all things) dry chicken .. vomited , composed myself and realized I could no longer "use” food to solve anything, I could no longer use it to anesthetize myself with it any longer.. I had a pity party for myself and moved on.. I am slowly becoming the person I knew I could be.. with all that surgery gave me.. why would I mess that up???

So very sorry for your loss. It's awesome that you realized food is not the answer. Just don't be like me and turn to alcohol like I did when my mother passed a few years ago. It is truly a hard thing to go through life without finding some way to numb the pain. We just have to remind ourselves that they are in a better place and no matter how much it hurts we still have a life to live.

Very good that you are not tempted by their junk food, I don't think I could handle that. So glad to live alone. Good luck and keep your head up. I won't say the pain will go away but it does fade with time.

18 minutes ago, JamesL73 said:

So very sorry for your loss. It's awesome that you realized food is not the answer. Just don't be like me and turn to alcohol like I did when my mother passed a few years ago. It is truly a hard thing to go through life without finding some way to numb the pain. We just have to remind ourselves that they are in a better place and no matter how much it hurts we still have a life to live.

Very good that you are not tempted by their junk food, I don't think I could handle that. So glad to live alone. Good luck and keep your head up. I won't say the pain will go away but it does fade with time.

My therapist said that people with addictive personalities seem to do ANYTHING to not feel sadness or pain.. one thing that is very new to me is to sit in the sadness and actually feel that pain.. it’s the only way my old habits won’t creep back up on me.. sometimes we have to feel feelings that are uncomfortable.. it’s life , if we avoid them or try to push them down with food they just come back up at other times.. your words were very nice and I appreciate it.. miss my Daddy all the time but I am determined to get healthy and have a proper prospective about food and other things that can be used to numb the pain I need to feel to move on.

Edited by Carrot64

Honestly, if left to my own devices I can avoid all the foods I'm not supposed to eat. The last 3+ weeks have been challenging though... with cooking for my family (mostly healthy meals) during my pre-op diet was rough, and even though I prepped a number of meals for them for my first couple of weeks post op, it's hard watching them eat while I'm getting by on mush. It will get better, I know.

My hubs has benefited from my healthier meal options, to the point that he was frustrating one of my goals. I wanted to weigh less than him (never did, ever), but he kept losing. Only now, after surgery, I weigh less than him. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app