Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP I'm so stressed and I SMOKE

So I'm super stressed out I started my journey on May 2, 2019 and yes only 2 weeks ago (they don't play out here in the Bay Area, Kaiser gets you in and out within a couple months) and am only 4 pounds away from hitting my goal, once that happens I will get surgery date which I also know will be really quick. But I'm a smoker and have been for 30 years and although I'm not a heavy smoker (a pack in 3 to 4 days) I'm not ready to give up my only release. I've giving up drugs over 20 years ago and now food and I will have an Awkward relationship LOL. Smoking is the only thing that will relax my nerves so help all that did smoke or are smokers what did you do?????

Thanks for your time and input in advance

Michelle

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I've never smoked, so I can't really relate, but I heard my surgeon telling other patients that it's critical that they give up smoking a certain amount of time before the surgery and after because of health and healing issues. Good luck.

The programs in my neck of the woods will not do surgery unless one has been smoke free for a minimum of 6 months...

If you are not prepared to give up smoking in order to get this procedure, PLEASE put the procedure off until you have quit and been smoke free for a while and know that you can remain that way. We all know there are huge health risks with smoking anyway, but it was stressed to me repeatedly throughout my process that these risks are MUCH more pronounced for post-op bariatric patients.

As ms.sss said above, many programs will not even approve a surgery unless you've stopped smoking at least six months prior to the date. I'm not sure why your program has gone so quickly, but it sounds like they've left out a lot of incredibly important information that people with three or six month pre-op programs hear. I would be very very worried about your health if you went through with the surgery as a recent smoker and then realized afterwards that you couldn't give it up. It's just not worth getting a weight loss surgery that is meant to improve your quality of life, only to put yourself in extremely high danger by not being able to quit cigarettes.

What about vaping? Is that allowed and I don’t use nicotine in my juice .

2 minutes ago, michellehill said:

I don't think anything that involves inhaling because we can't even use straws post op

Interesting . Thanks I’m very new to this and having surgery next month. So trying to access as much as possible beforehand..

You will have to make a decision here. Which is more important to you- that cigarette or marijuana you've craved for a half-hour or that thin, healthy fit body you have wanted your entire life? Your call, but most surgeon's will tell you smoking slows or stops in its tracks, healing from your surgery. You will make your anesthesi and pulmonologist work harder to keep you stable, it may even be harder to wake up from your surgery, assuming they even perform it. That's a scene that doesn't need played, darlin', it's not an easy thing to stop, I was married to a smoker for 44 years, OH he stopped, but then he would start up again! Knew he had Rheumatic Fever at 6, still did it, his late Mama called it Dramatic Fever, still a grain of truth there. He didn't die of lung issues but his demise had cardiac overtones, and if he had not smoked so long he could have survived it instead of dying on the 4th of July and leaving Tomkitten(out son) and I to pick up the pieces of his life and debts.
Sorry if it seems like I'm being rough on you but I treasure each and every one of my Bari-Friends, Michelle, and I DONT WANT TO LOSE YOU TOO!

I smoked years ago and quit using Nicoderm CQ. If I remember correctly it's a two month program. If you only smoke a pack every few days you could start out on step two and it would only take about a month to quit. It really helps calm your nerves while eliminating the habit.

I smoked years ago and quit using Nicoderm CQ. If I remember correctly it's a two month program. If you only smoke a pack every few days you could start out on step two and it would only take about a month to quit. It really helps calm your nerves while eliminating the habit.
Thank you and yes I'm talking to the dr tomorrow to get the Patches. I only have 2 cigarettes left and refuse to buy another pack. Thanks all for the advice and info.

I can really relate to not wanting to give up smoking. I am in recovery too and having to give up my unhealthy eating habits as well as not smoking seemed to be too much. I had a really honest conversation with my doctor about it, in which he told me that the absolute best thing I could do for my health is to quit smoking. It ranked even higher than losing weight, though my BMI is under 40 so that was seen as a secondary goal. It isn't easy either, especially if you don't want to quit. I had this weird thing happening where when I was smoking, all I wanted was to quit, but then when I quit all I wanted was to smoke. It went on that way for a few months, but I finally just decided my health is my priority and I can't be healthy if I am smoking.

I used nicorette gum, it was more useful for me than the Patches because when I had a craving I could actually do something about it (chew a piece of gum), and I was able to cut back on the gum and then switch to regular gum after a while. I did vape too, and I have cut back on that to the point where I just don't anymore.

Good luck

I took Chantix about 10 years ago. It made me nauseated as hell but I kept on taking it. Now, if I even think about cigs I remember that nauseated feeling and all cravings disappear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took Chantix about 10 years ago. It made me nauseated as hell but I kept on taking it. Now, if I even think about cigs I remember that nauseated feeling and all cravings disappear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My dr and I are doing welbutrin since I did that over 10 yrs ago.