Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not telling anyone

So far I haven’t told anyone that I will be going through this. Has anyone else ever done this?

I didn't go as far as lying. I've now lost 50 lbs and coworkers are starting to ask, and I tell them.

I was going to announce on FB once I hit my 50 pound goal but decided I'm going to postpone it for when I reach 70 pounds :-) I can't deal with the negative comments or unwanted opinions at this time..

You just have to focus on yourself right now. You're on your way to becoming healthier, more active and happier you!

Good Luck Sharlanay!

I told some people at work. I find it's easier to tell people to their face.

On the other hand I did not say anything on Facebook. People tend to be braver behind a keyboard. It's my business not theirs. You do you, and whatever makes you happy and most comfortable.

I told my brother and SIL (b/c she had to come stay with me after surgery), my boss (who also happens to be a friend), and one other friend. After about 6 months, I told my sister because she was worried about how I was eating. Other than that, if people notice my weight loss or eating habits, I just say thank you or I'm eating more, smaller meals. It is nobody's business.

Do you have to have someone care for you once you go home?

I am 6 months post op and only my husband and children knows. I am 82 pounds down and I am sure it's noticeable. I seen my sister the other day and she asked me what i am smoking[emoji23]. However truth be told I wish I had the gusto to tell others sometimes for me( support, accountability ect.) But also for them who may, just may be open to the idea of the life saving sleeve for them selves. But call me crazy because I sometimes don't want a single soul to know. For fear of failure, wanna keep it to myself so all the haters(secret) stumble. Lol. I kinda don't want them to know what hit em'. [emoji38]

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

Only my husband knows. Not that people are asking me how I'm losing weight my answers are (1) What weight? Blowing it off; or (2) Diet and exercise, which is true because the surgery was only a tool and I still have to do the work. I'm not comfortable telling anyone I had the surgery

2 hours ago, Sharlanay said:

So far I haven’t told anyone that I will be going through this. Has anyone else ever done this?

Members of my immediate family know, and like 3 or 4 of my best friends. I'm having surgery soon, and I don't really plan on telling anyone further just because I don't really want. Family is always good to let in; if you feel like they may not necessarily be supportive, I'd advice telling a best friend or two. It's always nice to have that support.

"It takes a village"

Edited by Roadto270

Yes,told very few people. You have a right to privacy. It still is a hard,long process to health. Some people regard it as cheating. So not true. Do what you feel is best for you. No one needs criticism ,only encouragement!

its true its a tool and takes a lot of hard work. When you are ready tell or don't. Tell the truth. I'm eating a lot less and sugar free low carbs

I only told my immediate family and a few close friends includinga few I work with. But I didn't tell any other co-workers. People at work starting noticing after I lost about 60. My response was that I'm logging what I eat, focusing on Protein and minimal carbs. And not eating the often 3000 calories I used to eat. Also said I was triggered by the fact that my dad died at age 58 and I was marching closer to that.

13 hours ago, Sharlanay said:

I've told a total of 4 people, one of which has had the surgery in the past. I confessed to that person my anxieties about letting anyone know just yet & oddly... I found their response to be less than helpful. I think I'll be happy to share my journey with people when I'm on my way to losing weight, but not today. And that's okay. I am feeling a little at lost though, not really knowing anyone going through the same thing at the moment.

Only told my father, and I don't plan to tell anyone else... I am a very private person and was before VSG and will always be a private person. I don't think it's anyone else's business unless you have a desire to tell people.. 75% of people are negative and I choose not to deal with negative people who smile in your face and talk _____ behind your back, I'm so over people and there personal opinions about my life... So no issue if you tell everyone or you are a private person and want to keep your business to urself.... Good luck and hope this helps....

i only told my family and one trusted co-worker because i needed some cooperation with work schedule changes to accommodate the surgery date. My co-workers noticed and a lot of people asked about what I am doing. I told them "major lifestyle and diet changes." If they press, I tell them, "A lot more exercise, no wheat, no sugar, no alcohol, no Snacks, no soda or coffee, no processed foods, no artificial sweeteners/coloring, low carb, intermittant fasting..." Somewhere between the sugar and alcohol their eyes glaze over and they change the topic.

I don't want to lie, but the truth of the matter is that if someone is not willing to make lifestyle and dietary changes now, they have no right to any additional information. If someone actually told me they have been doing all those things and still struggle with weight loss, i would ask if they had considered WLS as another tool. But so far, no one seems willing to actually make serious changes. Everyone wants a magic pill.

Since then, I have changed departments, and NO ONE says anything because they didn't see me before. I FEEL LIKE A NORMAL PERSON! And it feels great! I'm not the biggest gal at work anymore, and it is kind of weird, actually.