Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 week Post-Op 2 week stall and weight GAIN :(

Hi guys, so I’m exactly 1 month post op today and my start weight was 125Kg and I went down to 115.9Kg but this was in the first two weeks maybe even week.
Since then I haven’t lost anything which was stressing me out, but what is stressing me out even more is I decided to get on the scales today and it came up as 116.7 and I checked in different places just to be sure.
I’ve literally not added anything major into my diet I haven’t gone astray. So I’m still on Protein Shakes and I’ve only just this Tuesday started soft foods so literally yesterday prior to that I was having lentil Soup as a meal 200grams of it for dinner and two Protein shakes and Water . I haven’t even eaten any foods today I really don’t know what’s going on. I’m actually so upset . Did anyone else experience this?

Yes, it's perfectly normal for the scale to fluctuate like that and Week 4 is infamous for a stall.

Hi @GradyCat okay sooo I’ve just stepped on the scales again and it’s gone from 116.7 to 116.9 Kg. On the edge of a breakdown! How do I control this weight gain is it normal because I am seriously not even eating unhealthy or anything !

17 minutes ago, mariazmk said:

Hi @GradyCat okay sooo I’ve just stepped on the scales again and it’s gone from 116.7 to 116.9 Kg. On the edge of a breakdown! How do I control this weight gain is it normal because I am seriously not even eating unhealthy or anything !

Hey,it's probably just Water retention. You probably had a liver shrinking diet before the surgery, and it's around now that your body is starting to have the liver recover its size. Continue following your diet plan, and you'll end up losing.

Which surgery did you have

Hey @Ellf I had the gastric sleeve done on the 16th of April. Since then I’ve done the liquid diet and then the filler liquid diet so Protein Shake etc and now I’ve started softs foods only from this Tuesday. I really do hope I lose it because, I am so worried I’ll never lose weight and the surgery hasn’t worked for me.

3 minutes ago, mariazmk said:

Hey @Ellf I had the gastric sleeve done on the 16th of April. Since then I’ve done the liquid diet and then the filler liquid diet so Protein Shake etc and now I’ve started softs foods only from this Tuesday. I really do hope I lose it because, I am so worried I’ll never lose weight and the surgery hasn’t worked for me.

Trust your surgeon. Also make sure you track everything you eat. Stalls are normal. (I say this as I just came off of one myself.)

Do make sure you're walking as much as you can too.

1 hour ago, mariazmk said:

I am so worried I’ll never lose weight and the surgery hasn’t worked for me.

If I only had a nickel for every time I've heard that! I, too, felt the same thing during my first stall (weeks 2 and 3 post-surgery for me). Just follow your plan. The weight WILL come off if you stick to your plan.

Hey [mention=357511]Ellf[/mention] I had the gastric sleeve done on the 16th of April. Since then I’ve done the liquid diet and then the filler liquid diet so Protein Shake etc and now I’ve started softs foods only from this Tuesday. I really do hope I lose it because, I am so worried I’ll never lose weight and the surgery hasn’t worked for me.
I am 3 weeks post op and having the same problem. I see my surgeon this monday. I am so scared of seeing my surgeon and him saying "you haven't lost much."
I started out at 341.6 & i am now 325ish. I say ish because it fluctuates from 325 to 327.
I feel like a failure not being able to break it!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, LeaG said:

I am 3 weeks post op and having the same problem. I see my surgeon this monday. I am so scared of seeing my surgeon and him saying "you haven't lost much."
I started out at 341.6 & i am now 325ish. I say ish because it fluctuates from 325 to 327.
I feel like a failure not being able to break it!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using BariatricPal mobile app

you're in a stall. Almost everyone has their first stall during the first month or so after surgery. I had mine during weeks 2 and 3. It finally broke during week 4, and I dropped like 6-8 lbs practically overnight. Do a search on "three week stall" - it happens to almost everyone! You are fine - stop worrying! I started out where you are weight-wise, and I lost 16 lbs the first month. I thought I was never going to lose weight, but I lost over 200 lbs! Stick to your program and the weight WILL come off! Your surgeon is going to be delighted with your loss so far!

Okay so I’m pretty sure everyone has a stall between weeks 2-4.
Mine happened at 12 days post surgery and lasted almost 3 weeks. So here’s how it went: I lost 22 pounds in the first 12 days, then I lost 1.8 pounds over the next 20 days. There were a couple of times in that 20 days where I gained a 0.5-1 pound, then lose it, then regain.

After week 5, I started losing again at the rate of 2.5 pounds/week average and 10 days ago I hit my 3 month stall (I was sleeved on 2-6-19).
This time I’ve put the scale away and refuse to step on it for at least another week or two.

Oh and during these last 10 days when I’ve lost zero weight I’ve managed to fit into a pair of pants that were really tight on me at the end of April so I’m not panicking.

The weight will continue to fall off and the scale will continue to move down accordingly