Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm two days into my 1 week liquid diet, but I'm having a lot of trouble. I'm allergic to every artificial sweetener and replacement in the market, it seems, so anything with sucrolose, glucose powder and Syrup, aspartame, etc, I can't have. No sugar free anything, no 'lite' things, heck I can't even have any of the ready to go Protein Drinks or standard flavored powders. I also can't do stevia because of a nasty ragweed allergy, which we discovered last month (the fall out wasn't fun). Is anyone else here in the same boat and has had successful surgery? How did you manage your liver shrink diet?

I was able to chose a bar or a piece of fruit and 4 oz of Protein and 1 cup of vegetables.

I also, can't do artificial sweeteners. I just bought Monk Fruit at costco and hoping I can tolerate it.

Could they work with you in the diet? Maybe plain protein and a fruit blended?

Best of luck!

I’m not allergic to artificial sweeteners, but they give me side effects such as nausea and headaches.
That being said, the first 2 weeks of liquid diet almost killed me due to EVERYTHING being artificially flavored.
I gagged down half a Protein Shake a day until I gave up and just started drinking fairlife milk.

Right when I was cleared for soft foods, I kicked Protein Shakes to the curb and haven’t looked back once.

So what you can probably expect is to not hit your Protein goals until you can eat enough real food to get your protein.
I know some people get all worked up about not hitting daily protein goals, but those are usually people who can turn to a shake of they need to.

So far, I’ve lost 47 pounds since 2-6-19 and probably didn’t hit a single protein goal for my first month. I never had any issues with energy levels and I started working out pretty regularly at 4 weeks post-op.

Make dairy protein your best friend (milk, cottage cheese, eggs, soft cheeses,etc..) and you’ll be much happier.

24 minutes ago, gabybab said:

I was able to chose a bar or a piece of fruit and 4 oz of Protein and 1 cup of vegetables.

I also, can't do artificial sweeteners. I just bought Monk Fruit at costco and hoping I can tolerate it.

Could they work with you in the diet? Maybe plain Protein and a fruit blended?

Best of luck!

I'm going to call my NUT tomorrow I think, and ask what can be done. I've been upfront about my allergies from the outset, but my inability to have the sweeteners I think kind of threw her for a loop, because I got very little useful feedback from her after that point. My program also doesnt allow for any kind of solid food through the liquid diet, your shakes are supposed to be your meal, with sugarfree popsicles and Jello and broth and Water (just broth and water in my case right now) inbetween. I have a physically demanding job that I go back to tomorrow after two days off for the week and I have no clue how I'm going to survive. I keep getting the feeling that this is a bad idea...

On 05/14/2019 at 21:21, jenmc1986 said:

I'm going to call my NUT tomorrow I think, and ask what can be done. I've been upfront about my allergies from the outset, but my inability to have the sweeteners I think kind of threw her for a loop, because I got very little useful feedback from her after that point. My program also doesnt allow for any kind of solid food through the liquid diet, your shakes are supposed to be your meal, with sugarfree popsicles and Jello and broth and Water (just broth and Water in my case right now) inbetween. I have a physically demanding job that I go back to tomorrow after two days off for the week and I have no clue how I'm going to survive. I keep getting the feeling that this is a bad idea...

Seriously.
Drink plain fairlife milk. Loads of Proteins and way less sugars than traditional milk.

1 minute ago, Sheribear68 said:

Seriously.
Drink plain fairlife milk. Loads of Proteins and way less sugars than traditional milk.

Oh trust me, I know that stuff is awesome! I have two bottles in the fridge and I use it in just about everything right now. Soup, shakes, plain, I love it! I just have to keep my 4yo out of it, because he wants milk like mommy has, lol. I can't wait to be able to have soft foods again, because I want to try out a ricotta bake recipe I got that sounds amazing. I never got around to making it before I started my LD, and I'm kind of mad at myself.

1 hour ago, Sheribear68 said:

I’m not allergic to artificial sweeteners, but they give me side effects such as nausea and headaches.
That being said, the first 2 weeks of liquid diet almost killed me due to EVERYTHING being artificially flavored.
I gagged down half a Protein Shake a day until I gave up and just started drinking fairlife milk.

Right when I was cleared for soft foods, I kicked Protein Shakes to the curb and haven’t looked back once.

So what you can probably expect is to not hit your Protein goals until you can eat enough real food to get your Protein.< br /> I know some people get all worked up about not hitting daily protein goals, but those are usually people who can turn to a shake of they need to.

So far, I’ve lost 47 pounds since 2-6-19 and probably didn’t hit a single protein goal for my first month. I never had any issues with energy levels and I started working out pretty regularly at 4 weeks post-op.

Make dairy protein your best friend (milk, cottage cheese, eggs, soft cheeses,etc..) and you’ll be much happier.

I also used the fairlife milk and YQ plain yogurt with a small amount of honey. I could not tolerate whey at all.

Oh that's a shame because there are so many non-sugar sweeteners out there for "diet" food and low-sugar food. My pre-op diet was just restricted to 1500 calories/day with little fat.

I had the band, and do not tolerate artificial sweeteners so I just did plain ice tea with a touch of lemon. I also have Boost plus with only 1gm of sugar and 30 gm of Protein. I just did the diet with a smaller amount of sugar rather than using artificial sugars. I was successful and it worked for me.