Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLEASE HELP. I’m 2 weeks post op with very little weight loss.

I’m 2 weeks post op and I have only lost about 7 pounds. I am following the diet as required and I am also walking 30 mins per day. I’m getting scared this may not have worked for me. Shouldn’t the weight be falling off? On surgery day my weight was 229, the scale today said 222. What should I do?
Thanks for your thread. I seen it when I hit my 3 week still after losing 14lbs in the first 2 weeks. I panicked. I'm now 4 and half weeks and just following the plan. How are you doing now? How much have you lost? I hope your doing well. Xxx

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I am about 11 weeks post op and I have lost 36 lbs since surgery day. I have some weeks when I lose 4 lbs and some where I stall and lose nothing. My doctor suggested weighing myself once a week instead of daily to help me see that my progress may be slow, but it is moving me towards my goal. I use an app that tracks of percentage of weight loss, instead of just lbs, which helps me see how far I have come.

HW: 274.4
SW: 265
CW: 229
GW: 159

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I started at a BMI of 32 and I'm 4 weeks post op and have only lost 7 lbs - after surgery. (I gained 5 after surgery and took over a week to lose that gain). I am also discouraged. Yeah I know it's going down instead of up and I should be grateful. But I just can't understand how I can barely consume 500 calories a day and not lose more weight. I've done diets before surgery and have lost more weight in less time. I'm totally confused:(

8 minutes ago, MindOverMadder said:

I started at a BMI of 32 and I'm 4 weeks post op and have only lost 7 lbs - after surgery. (I gained 5 after surgery and took over a week to lose that gain). I am also discouraged. Yeah I know it's going down instead of up and I should be grateful. But I just can't understand how I can barely consume 500 calories a day and not lose more weight. I've done diets before surgery and have lost more weight in less time. I'm totally confused:(

that's a super low BMI for a bariatric patient (in fact, I'm a little surprised someone did it for you). Most of us are 40+ - and many start at 50+. You're not likely to lose as fast as someone who starts at a higher BMI.

I know it's lower than most, that's why I posted here to find other people who got sleeved to prevent getting above BMI 40. I'm looking for anyone else in my preop situation who has more information on how long it takes to reach a weight loss goal. We all have goals - some of use just start out closer to it than others...but the struggle is the same:)

Give yourself time to heal and trust the process It will happen when your body is ready. Until then concentrate on self care and getting over the procedure.

It will happen. Good luck

On 5/14/2019 at 9:35 AM, GastricGal said:

I think I will be a slow loser. I don’t want to give up because the weight is not coming off as fast as I expected. It would really suck it I only lost 15 lbs in 30 months. I think I would go crazy, I already think the surgery failed me. I’m trying to stay positive.

My best friend had the surgery in Feb. We visited in July and she literally looks half her size! I was shocked when she said she had only lost 45 pounds!!! That is only 9 pounds a MONTH, so just a bit over 2 a week. The scale is NOT the only measure! You are only 2 weeks out of surgery. I can only hope to be half as active as you 2 weeks after mine! Toss your scale out the window!

Besides, if you lose it all too fast, look at the other side of that coin... your skin won't even have a hope of keeping up, and then you will have that issue to deal with!

On 5/20/2019 at 9:13 PM, Sleeve2019 said:

Well I think something must be wrong with me. I am nearly 4 weeks out and not only have I NOT lost any weight, I might have gained a pound. Normal caloric intake for a person my size is 1,000 calories/day. I am averaging 650-750 calories per day. Shouldn’t I be losing weight???? They told me to just focus on getting enough Protein so my hair doesn’t fall out, nothing about caloric intake.

At 4 weeks out I was eating probably 200 calories a day. I am 10+ months and hitting 700 calories now.

I don’t think I lost any the first week due to swelling etc. I think week 2 was maybe 4-5 pounds then I remained steady initially 3/week at 5 months 2-3/week. I never stalled and I didn’t follow the typical big drop initially and slowed loss over time. Take body measurements so you can see losing inches when the scale may not show you your loss.