Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had VSG on 5/7/19. So I am almost one week post op. All I had heard before I decided to get the surgery and all the way up to my surgery date was how you will never be hungry. Idk what these people are talking about because I have been hungry since I woke up from surgery! It has definitely been rough the past week. Anyone else have this struggle? 😞

Yep, me too. I was hungry ever since I started the pre-op, and hungry right after surgery. I have stopped being hungry since I have been able to transition to pureed foods. And now I get what the whole "feel full quickly" thing is about.

I have the same problem and I was very anxious about having so much hunger and cravings that I did not expect. I have talked to several people about it and it is a much common issue then I thought. I was reassured repeatedly that it will get better once we progress with the diet and we can have some real food. I’m optimistic that is the case and will get better. I was cautioned also to not underestimate the power of head hunger and to work on understanding how to manage that versus real hunger. The bottom line is that we are not alone in this and it will get better.

2 hours ago, lacey.lacey said:

I had VSG on 5/7/19. So I am almost one week post op. All I had heard before I decided to get the surgery and all the way up to my surgery date was how you will never be hungry. Idk what these people are talking about because I have been hungry since I woke up from surgery! It has definitely been rough the past week. Anyone else have this struggle? 😞

Yes. I am just over 1 year out and I never lost my appetite at all. I too was very disappointed.

It has been a struggle for sure.

Hang in there and good luck!

I had my VSG done 4.30.19 and felt like I was starving! Trust me. You will have some breaking points where you want to just shout at everyone because you are so G.D hangry. I haven't lost my appetite person, but the mental torture makes you think and reflect on what your relationship with food is like and you have to really stick it out. My hunger never truly goes away, my stomach will growl at times, but I know I am okay as long as I get my Protein Shakes in.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using BariatricPal mobile app

Hunger does not go away with surgery.

I’m 5 years out. Hunger is much more manageable for me with real food stage.

• I eat five to six small meals and stay within my calories and macros
  • I keep healthy sweet and salty items on hand to stop cravings
  • I eat dense Proteins and foods allowed on my plan. I eat as much veggies until I feel full.

I feel worse if I eat than if I don't. Hope that doesn't mean I'm teetering on the brink of anorexia. After being accused of gluttony so long " She could lose that weight, She LIKES being so fat!" that would be the Universe reaking it's revenge. Maybe get out a chilled Protein Shake, and add my morning dose of Miralax. After the Grand Purging Enema of Milk and Molasses last Friday afternoon, I have not had anything except flatus and loose mucus since Saturday morning. Oh I hope I have not dropped into Same Old Same Old. Been back to double Miralax, have Ducolax and M..O.M. in reserve. Should i invest in Colace? Believe I can take the pills but liquid made me So So Sick when I was in OSU last November receiving my PICC line et cetera.
Maybe my destiny is to be a Little Old Lady Full of S***, even started. to start eating the mashed up veggies from my Soups. What next? Would love to eat Bran Cereal, somebody told me a full cup would make me a Regular Woman, difficult when you ingest 2-3 oz a feeding. Maybe go talk to PCP, not booked in at Bariatric Clinic until June/July EGJ/Endoscopy, they all keep telling me I am doing Wonderful, well my colon stays Full, not sure of the Wonder part?💩I think maybe my rectal muscles are tired, maybe shot so bad they don't want to contract and push. So peristalsis packs me full but my anus just has snapped tightly shut! At least that is my Working Theory, can anybody repute it?

Refute not Repute, gosh I hate the demon in this Smartphone, no matter what I key in, it says what it wants to, usually corrects after I push "Send"

I’m learning things everyday. I see what everyone is saying and still trying to decide if I am hungry or if my mind is playing tricks. People made it out to be a walk in the park. Not regretting my decision to get the surgery yet...but that might change.

I had VSG on 5/7/19. So I am almost one week post op. All I had heard before I decided to get the surgery and all the way up to my surgery date was how you will never be hungry. Idk what these people are talking about because I have been hungry since I woke up from surgery! It has definitely been rough the past week. Anyone else have this struggle? [emoji20]
Had my surgery on 5/8/19. I have been hungry as well since the day after I got home. It isn't helping either that the Isopure is gross. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Had my surgery on 5/8/19. I have been hungry as well since the day after I got home. It isn't helping either that the Isopure is gross. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Try Premier Protein powder. The pre mixed ones are gross to me now after surgery, but premier Protein has 30 grams of protein, and I use unsweetened almond milk to make mine. Also PBfit is a lifesaver too. It is powdered Peanut Butter. I make my shakes into a choco peanut butter Protein Shake. Give it a try!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using BariatricPal mobile app

For a clear Protein Drink, I’m using the “Protein 2O” brand available at Walmart. I think it tastes a little better than the clear drink offered by Premium Protein.

The biggest shock for me post-surgery was realizing just how powerful head hunger is. At less than a week out I considered it a victory yesterday when I was able to eat two full popsicles over the course of a whole day in addition to my sips of Water. My stomach has been very adamant about telling me when I'm not ready for things or when I've had even one sip too many, so physical hunger hasn't been an issue at all. Head hunger has been an entirely different story, though.

I live with a roommate but have been staying with my mother and siblings for the first week post-op, and mentally I've been staring at homemade brownies, mac and cheese, Taco Bell, etc that they eat and craving them terribly. My mind says those things look delicious and tries to remind me how much I loved them before surgery, even when my body knows it would absolutely reject even a crumb of those things immediately at this stage.

But I suppose that's a big part of making this surgery successful. Those mental cravings probably aren't going to go away easily. It's a matter of separating mental hunger from physical hunger, listening to your body rather than your cravings, and making the choices that are going to lead to health rather than giving in to old habits; and those things are all easier said than done.