Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

While oatmeal is considered very healthy for most people, it is way too high in carbs for losing weight.

Is oatmeal on your post op eating plan that was given to you?

Its strange because I just saw a new dr last week. He used oatmeal as an example of what not to eat while losing weight.

Oatmeal's a pretty solid staple food for me. Can be super low calorie depending on how you make it.

Try keeping it bland in the early days. Use Water or 50/50 skim milk and water instead of whole milk and just a pinch of salt and cinnamon with a dab of honey for flavour.

While oatmeal is considered very healthy for most people, it is way too high in carbs for losing weight.
Its strange because I just saw a new dr last week. He used oatmeal as an example of what not to eat while losing weight.
Mine said no oatmeal too because of carbs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Remember that the golden rule of wls is Protein first. If we eat the required amount of protein first at every meal, I doubt that there will be room left over for oatmeal.

Imho oatmeal is best left for maintenance.

just my two cents

I eat some form of oats most days and dont have any I'll effects.

21 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

Puréed oatmeal IS used as an example in my post-op diet plan for stage 3 (puréed foods). I use the 100% whole grain rolled oats that you buy in the cylindrical paper carton, not the pre-packaged, flavored packets. I’m no dietician but, I think if you use the whole grain version, it’s a “complex carb” rather than a “simple” one like white bread or Pasta. Please chime in if you know anything better.

Puréed oatmeal IS used as an example in my post-op diet plan for stage 3 (puréed foods). I use the 100% whole grain rolled oats that you buy in the cylindrical paper carton, not the pre-packaged, flavored packets. I’m no dietician but, I think if you use the whole grain version, it’s a “complex carb” rather than a “simple” one like white bread or Pasta. Please chime in if you know anything better.
My Doctor says it's okay to eat oatmeal if you like. But he also said things change and if my new stomach doesn't like it then don't. Just sucks because I like oatmeal.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, JerseyDevil said:

There is no doubt in my mind that oatmeal is very nutritious and even high in Fiber. It just does not fit into the Protein first rule that bariatric patients are supposed to live by.

I love steel cut oats myself. Still I will be waiting until I am in maintenance to enjoy occasionally. Carbs are carbs when thinking in terms of losing weight. I am going for optimal weight loss. 🙂

On 5/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, othella2 said:

Just wondering if anyone found the can not eat oatmeal anymore. Since my surgery it makes me sick. I know things change just thought I would be able to eat it eventually. Now I just feel sick.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using BariatricPal mobile app

All plans look different.

Make sure you are following foods on your dietician’s post-surgery plan. Some carbs may be allowed on certain diet stages. Check your plan for the type and amount allowed.

Bariatric Basics - Log your food, stay within your weight loss calorie and carbohydrate range. Hit your Protein goal.

5 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

There is no doubt in my mind that oatmeal is very nutritious and even high in Fiber. It just does not fit into the Protein first rule that bariatric patients are supposed to live by.

I love steel cut oats myself. Still I will be waiting until I am in maintenance to enjoy occasionally. Carbs are carbs when thinking in terms of losing weight. I am going for optimal weight loss. 🙂

I appreciate your motivation. I’m shooting for a goal weight I haven’t seen since high school. I’m assuming that “optimum weight loss” means the fastest rate of weight loss possible. I prefer to take the longer, slower route. I feel that the less I deprive myself (within reason), the more chance I’ll have of successfully maintaining a healthy weight once I meet my goal.

Out of curiosity, and knowing that you are further along in this adventure than me, what does a daily meal plan look like for you?

2 hours ago, JerseyDevil said:

I appreciate your motivation. I’m shooting for a goal weight I haven’t seen since high school. I’m assuming that “optimum weight loss” means the fastest rate of weight loss possible. I prefer to take the longer, slower route. I feel that the less I deprive myself (within reason), the more chance I’ll have of successfully maintaining a healthy weight once I meet my goal.

Out of curiosity, and knowing that you are further along in this adventure than me, what does a daily meal plan look like for you?

Well for the first year I included carbs as well. I only lost 69 pounds. I also had many big changes over the past yeAr. I am fine with losing slow. Just not ready to be in maintenance quite yet.

My sister passed away at the start of my journey and then my mother just passed in February. So, during those times of heavy grief I wasn’t really following any plan. I had not lost anything since September which was my 6 month point.

i also made a big move about 6 months ago. I have a new dr here in my new location that told me to go back to getting about 1 cup of food at each of my 6 small meals each day. Plus be sure that everything that I do eat contains more Protein than carbs. The fact is that I am still eating carbs. I have not cut them completely out. oatmeal is ridiculously high in carbs but, you have to do whatever you think is right for you. I don’t worry about calories or fat. The only thing that I look at is the carbs versus protein on labels.

Now I am finally back to losing weight again.

Edited by Losingit2018

I should have been a little more clear in my post. I was at the 6 month mark when I started adding more carbs to my diet and that is when my wright loss came to a screeching halt.