Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with PCOS not lose weight after surgery

10 hours ago, Zahara98 said:

I am in the official "lost 75 lbs" club. OK, that's not a real club, but one I just made it because I am happy to see it :-). The last couple months, I have been exercising more than ever - I ran a 10K on Thanksgiving morning and did a Turkey Triathlon the night before. However, the scale has really slowed, but still is going down, so I guess that is a win.

During the holidays, my plan is to be as active as possible, but not use the exercise as an excuse to overindulge. I plan to have a few treats here and there, but keep it to a minimum. I have never seen the scale go up since surgery - it has always been a loss, even if very small, so my goal is to continue that trend and keep training for bigger races in the spring.

thats wonderful congrats on the 75lbs.

I haven't read all of the posts in response to your post, so you may have already gotten the response you're looking for.

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17 years old. I am 47. I just has VGS 8/28/19. I could never lose weight before. I am 52 lbs or so down in less than 4 months. I eat very few carbs and what carbs I do eat are "typically" natural ones. I eat as clean as possible "most" of the time. I don't eat out a lot. I take my post-surgery Vitamins and make sure I get enough good fat and moderate Protein each day.

I chose the VGS because of the hormonal impact. It has been a great tool for me. I am compliant. I don't try to push th envelope. When I first feel full, I stop eating. It is tempting to eat that last couple of bites because of being from the "clean your plate" generation, but I'm learning it will be waste one way or another. Better in the trash can than on my body or making me miserable being too full. It has helped me to start preparing smaller portions. My post-surgery vision hasn't fully adjusted yet. I put more than I need on my plate, even though I am only taking one scoop of something instead of two or more. The one scoop is still too much, especially if it is a multiple component meal. One scoop of each is just too much. I respect my new stomach. I just have to get to know her better and understand what she needs to be most comfortable.

I have noticed a reduction in my PCOS symptoms with just the decrease I have so far. I've NEVER had a consistent cycle, for example. I have now had four months of a consistent cycle. I can actually use an app now to track my cycle! How awesome is that? The darkness around my neck is going away. My skin is getting thinner around my neck. My hair isn't growing as fast on my face. Acne is going away. There ARE major positive changes taking place as a result of my VGS. I can't speak for any other surgery, but this one is working for me, and I experienced many of the symptoms, if not all, and they were extreme.

Please feel free to connect with me here or send a message if you'd like to discuss it further.

Margie

I am 39, have PCOS, take Met and Trulicity. I weigh 250 and am scheduled for VSG on 3/12. I’m concerned that the trulicity will make my blood sugar too low while on Pre-op diet. Anyone have experience with this. I’m not diabetic but take Trulicity for IR.

I’ve lost 52 pounds since my surgery May 3. I have suffered from pcos for13 years. I haven’t taken any Metformin since prior to surgery and I was able to lose weight. 20 lbs left!

I was sleeved 12/2. I have pcos and I am 39. I have lost 22 lbs since 11/25. I have been losing even being a bit older and the disorder. I'm sure its moving a bit slower than others, but its been a very long time since I lost over 20 lbs even! You'll do great and yes we can lose!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 5/15/2019 at 2:32 PM, Boldilocks said:

I didn't consider bypass, though my surgeon would have preferred it for me because I my endoscopy showed some small ulcers and reflux. I was adamant I wanted the sleeve. I was worried about the malabsorption - really worried. I already have a harder time getting everything I need from my diet because I am vegetarian (well, post-surgery I don't because all the supplements I take, but I used to). And I have the PCOS thinning hair - I know that Hair loss can be a problem with bypass and malabsorption, and I was terrified to lose more hair. (I am getting a little more hair left in the comb now - but I believe the 3-6 month Hair loss common with WLS is due to the anaesthetic, and is not permanent. At least that's what I'm hoping.)

Read your post, and I had to double check the name just to make sure that it wasn't ME writing this. You and I are on the exact same struggle bus. I want sleeve, surgeon reccomends VSG. I have PCOS and thinning hair, I'm scared to even do VSG because it can cause hair loss as well. I'm trying to research into taking DHT blockers to help with hair loss issues, have you taken any? Would love to hear more from you, and on your VSG journey...have you had the surgery? Any GERD and hair problems? Thanks!

I wish you lots of luck. ❤️😊🤗

I have PCOS, I have had it since age 12. But I was able to lose weight, in fact I lost 100 pound w PCOS and a thyroid disorder in my 50’s. But 4 years out and I have regained about half back. And I’m not gonna lie, I ate way too much in the kind of foods that I ate were not healthy foods (I was losing weight I ate very little bread, almost no Pasta, and lots of fruits and vegetables). I am speaking only for myself; but there is no doubt that for whatever reason I am hungry more and eat more than is normal.

I have PCOS as well. I had my surgery on April 4th, 2022. So I am 19 days out. My initial weight was 410lbs before the 2 week liquid diet. My weight the day of surgery was 399lbs.

My current weight as of today is 374.8lbs. So I’ve lost 36lbs in total and 25lbs post surgery. I am actually at a stall now. Having only lost 1lb this week. And I’m starting to think it has something to do with my PCOS and that i won’t lose anymore. This is quite discouraging as one of the main reasons I chose to do this surgery was so that I could correct my PCOS and potentially have children in the future. I am only 19 days out and already stalling, it’s a bit worrying to me.

i do struggle with Water intake, but my doctor said that that’s normal for the first few weeks considering my stomach is still so small. So I don’t really know why I’m not losing anymore and I just hope it breaks soon.

I have PCOS, diagnosed in 2009. I did not like Metformin so I didn't stay on it. I had IR (now pre diabetes), had Hair loss but I seemed to have balanced out my hormones enough for some things to be regulated. After getting divorced, my period on a more normal cycle, I blame my ex and stress of being with him 😂 I have high cholesterol and a few other issues as well. Hopefully the weight loss helps resolve a lot of these things.

I am in pre-op diet now, surgery is this coming Thursday. I am assuming I will be a slow loser because of the PCOS, but honestly that's ok. As long as I am losing and the VSG gets me to where I need to be to be healthy.

On 4/23/2022 at 10:53 AM, Cat0430 said:

I have PCOS as well. I had my surgery on April 4th, 2022. So I am 19 days out. My initial weight was 410lbs before the 2 week liquid diet. My weight the day of surgery was 399lbs.

My current weight as of today is 374.8lbs. So I’ve lost 36lbs in total and 25lbs post surgery. I am actually at a stall now. Having only lost 1lb this week. And I’m starting to think it has something to do with my PCOS and that i won’t lose anymore. This is quite discouraging as one of the main reasons I chose to do this surgery was so that I could correct my PCOS and potentially have children in the future. I am only 19 days out and already stalling, it’s a bit worrying to me.

i do struggle with Water intake, but my doctor said that that’s normal for the first few weeks considering my stomach is still so small. So I don’t really know why I’m not losing anymore and I just hope it breaks soon.

I've read that stalls are common, especially around the 3 week part. Reddit subs have been super helpful on the pattern of them. It seems Hair loss can kick in around months 3 or 4. A longer stall around month 5. With all of it, making sure your Water intake is good, diligent with Vitamins and Protein goals, the stalls I guess unstall themselves and things just keep going good.

I've read it's good to take measurements, that even though you might not be losing right now, those inches are still coming off.

Good luck!!

On 4/23/2022 at 7:53 AM, Cat0430 said:

I have PCOS and I had my sleeve surgery on the same day as you. I also think I hit a stall, but everyone says you start to lose weight again after a couple of weeks. I’ve also been struggling with Water intake but it’s slowly getting better. Glad I’m not alone, and I hope everything is going ok with you. :)

1 hour ago, Acptfw said:

I have PCOS and I had my sleeve surgery on the same day as you. I also think I hit a stall, but everyone says you start to lose weight again after a couple of weeks. I’ve also been struggling with Water intake but it’s slowly getting better. Glad I’m not alone, and I hope everything is going ok with you. :)

Wow! I’m glad I’m not alone either! Everything is going okay. I was really bummed about the stall but after reading it happens to so many people I have come to terms with it. It’s so hard for me to get 64oz in everyday especially since I wasn’t a huge Water drinker before hand. How are you doing with everything? I hope all is well with you too!

Hi all. I'm so glad I found this thread! I have PCOS and hypothyroidism and my biggest fear is that I'll have this surgery and still be unable to lose weight. You all have given me some hope and a lot to think about.

I wish there was more research into PCOS and I wish doctors would take it more seriously. Doctors always say my PCOS will get better if I lose weight, but I can't lose weight because of the PCOS. And the assumption is that being overweight causes PCOS. But I started getting all the symptoms of PCOS when I was super skinny. Then I started to gain weight. So I firmly believe that PCOS comes first and it causes the weight gain.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:58 PM, AchieveGoals said:

I want sleeve, surgeon recommends VSG.

The sleeve and VSG are the same thing. VSG is vertical sleeve gastrectomy, which is the sleeve.