Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with PCOS not lose weight after surgery

That's the perfect description of it! I've been reading that it affects 10% of women so you'd think it would get more medical attention. How can doctors justify telling patients that the "treatment" for PCOS is losing weight when one of the major symptoms is an almost complete inability to lose weight? Anyway, I agree it would be great to keep this thread going to encourage each other.

For anyone looking for a temporary way to deal with Hair loss, there are various types of full and partial wigs at wigs.com (and likely many other places but that is where I've shopped). I have invested in a great (but expensive) human hair wig which attaches with suction from Freedom Wigs, but you wouldn't want to do that if you are just looking for something temporary. I also have some light hats from head covers.com that I wear when I don't feel like wearing my wig. I plan on wearing those at the hospital (if my funding is approved).

20 minutes ago, Ruth9454 said:

For anyone looking for a temporary way to deal with Hair loss, there are various types of full and partial wigs at wigs.com (and likely many other places but that is where I've shopped). I have invested in a great (but expensive) human hair wig which attaches with suction from Freedom Wigs, but you wouldn't want to do that if you are just looking for something temporary. I also have some light hats from head covers.com that I wear when I don't feel like wearing my wig. I plan on wearing those at the hospital (if my funding is approved).

Thank you for the suggestions - I think I am going to have to look into toppers. I am ultra, ultra pale (I'm a redhead from Ireland) and even in 60 degree sun I can feel my scalp burning now with the thinning.

I think I have Pcos, my doctors never tested me properly for it because I am obese. 🙄 I too had trouble losing weight pre surgery I remember being on the 2 week liver shrinking diet and I would lose a few pounds then out of now where gain it back and I didn’t change anything. Since surgery I have lost 35 pounds. I had surgery on March 29, 2019. I had the DS and I have lost like 50% of my hair. After my cousin’s wedding this weekend I am shaving it all off.

I'm so glad I stumbled into this thread tonight. My surgery is in a week & the fear of not losing because of PCOS has been a huge weight on my mind. You're giving me hope!

I had RNY on March 18 and have PCOS. I was scared of it not working as well. So far I am down 35 lbs from my highest weight at the start of my preop diet. I feel it is slower than others, but am still making progress, which is hopeful. However, I have gained and lost these same 40 lbs for years and won’t believe anything is different until I’m below 200.

I just had my 2nd follow up this week, does anyone else find it so frustrating that the nutritionists and doctors lump you into the group of people that eat super unhealthy and eat way to much when honestly, I probably know more about food composition than the nutritionist. I feel I don’t belong because I dieted, hard, for YEARS, without results. But everyone assumes you eat way too much because of the excess weight. I am an exercise junky, worked out all the time, ate little, avoided carbs, and still didn’t lose. I know surgery was the ONLY thing that might help. I pray it continues to work for all of us!

I have PCOS and my dietitian advised me that the sleeve would help with it. I had my sleeve on May 7 2019 and have already lost 16lbs. PCOS is a physiological condition that makes it harder for you to lose weight so weight loss surgery will give you that support to get it off easier (according to weight loss dietitian). Best of luck on your journey.

I have PCOS and am having surgery 6/3. I am scared I will not be able to lose weight or that I will only lose a little. My body is refusing to let anything go. I've lost two pounds since starting the pre op diet last week. I heard people saying they lost 10-15 pounds but not me. I start full liquids tomorrow.

I had gastric bypass on 5/22... one week later I’m down 5.4 pounds! I have PCOS and hypothyroidism so weight has always been a struggle :( I haven’t started taking my metformin again and probably won’t. Ladies let me tell you.... I didn’t know I could feel full.... it’s amazing! Best of luck to everyone, we got this!

21 hours ago, starladustangel said:

I have PCOS and am having surgery 6/3. I am scared I will not be able to lose weight or that I will only lose a little. My body is refusing to let anything go. I've lost two pounds since starting the pre op diet last week. I heard people saying they lost 10-15 pounds but not me. I start full liquids tomorrow.

I had these same fears! (about PCOS) My surgery was 5/23. My pre-op was 10 days of no carbs & one day of liquid. I felt like nothing was dropping, but by the date of surgery I was down about 6 pounds. Coming home from surgery - I weighed MORE than when I went in. It was annoying but I knew I was pumped full of fluids & it would change in a few days. I'm now a week post-op and I'm down a total of 11 pounds. I'm sure some are losing more, some less. I'm thrilled with 11 pounds seeing as that's 11 pounds in under a month, which for me is good.

37 minutes ago, JanJan19 said:

I had these same fears! (about PCOS) My surgery was 5/23. My pre-op was 10 days of no carbs & one day of liquid. I felt like nothing was dropping, but by the date of surgery I was down about 6 pounds. Coming home from surgery - I weighed MORE than when I went in. It was annoying but I knew I was pumped full of fluids & it would change in a few days. I'm now a week post-op and I'm down a total of 11 pounds. I'm sure some are losing more, some less. I'm thrilled with 11 pounds seeing as that's 11 pounds in under a month, which for me is good.

I did 9 days of 2 shakes, 1 Protein Bar and 1 low carb high Protein meal per day. averaged 900 calories a day

Started my 5 days of liquids today. Hoping I see a little change.

Yes, I so hate all the presumptions about why we are the weight we are when we have PCOS. Some doctors don't even believe in it. I'm so tire of people saying it's mathematically impossible to not lose weight if you eat the right number of calories. This is such a cruel disease. I hope you are all doing well!

Yes, I so hate all the presumptions about why we are the weight we are when we have PCOS. Some doctors don't even believe in it. I'm so tire of people saying it's mathematically impossible to not lose weight if you eat the right number of calories. This is such a cruel disease. I hope you are all doing well!
I have lost 15 pounds since surgery. Hopefully it continues

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 6/12/2019 at 7:08 PM, starladustangel said:

I have lost 15 pounds since surgery. Hopefully it continues

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Actually 13 and I've been stuck at 269 the past few days.

2 hours ago, starladustangel said:

Actually 13 and I've been stuck at 269 the past few days.

You're doing great. My date was 10 days before you & I'm at a total of 22, 14 since surgery.