Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys!!! it's been awhile, hope everyone is doing great!!! I just received my labs and my B12 level is over 2000. Anybody else have this???

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

mine goes over 2000 sometimes. Evidently it's not dangerous, but it does mean you can cut back a little on your B12 supplements (and save a little money). I used to take a megadose once every two weeks, but the PA at the bariatric clinic said I could cut it back to once every three weeks and still be fine. Just keep an eye on your labs and adjust accordingly.

mine goes over 2000 sometimes. Evidently it's not dangerous, but it does mean you can cut back a little on your B12 supplements (and save a little money). I used to take a megadose once every two weeks, but the PA at the bariatric clinic said I could cut it back to once every three weeks and still be fine. Just keep an eye on your labs and adjust accordingly.
Thank you for your response!!!! I actually don't take any B12 but I will keep an eye out! [emoji12]

On 5/9/2019 at 1:27 PM, angyplus5 said:

Hi guys!!! it's been awhile, hope everyone is doing great!!! I just received my labs and my B12 level is over 2000. Anybody else have this???

I had wanted to post the same question. Mine was also extremely high, and not taking supplements yet either when they tested. It was also fasting blood tests.

I did get B12 iv after my surgery but this does not explain high blood levels in recent blood tests.

I did study holistic health and nutrition and have done extra research yet find no one takes it seriously. With the attitude of oh well at least you aren’t deficient. Um no. Wrong.

What I know is that B12 is a Water soluble Vitamin, which basically means that even if you supplement, it comes out in your urine. So then this means blood levels should not be abnormally high. So there must be medical reason for the higher level.

Incidental findings of high b12 is found with some diseases. (Similar to my opinion that low Vitamin D can be a symptom of illness not the cause) Ie. Liver disease releases excess b12 into the system, kidney disease not filtering out b12 into the urine, inflammatory conditions, blood cancers and other more complex conditions.

i live with chronic illness so it’s hard to see the tree in the forest? Or needle in the haystack ... could it be a fluke? Hard to say. But my opinion is that it means something. Wether it’s symptom of something or you are actually b12 deficient and the b12 is in the blood vs being properly utilized.

Im exhausted trying to get my brain to explain this. I can’t even recall if my surgeon discussed the blood tests with me and there were some out of range levels. I have a tough time with doctors appointments. And seeing my surgeon is practically an all day affair since I have to get medical transportation there, and it’s a bit of a trip.

I don’t know how to get the doctors to at least investigate what causes the high B12.

I agree, my doctor dosen't seem concerned at all. I dont know how to get them to take it seriously. Its really frustrating.

Yes! I just had lab work done and B12 was over 2000. I do take a supplement of 1000 micrograms a day. Doctor said to keep up with the supplements even though the result was high because there is no danger in too high B12, but low B12 can have serious consequences.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hmmn, makes perfect sense to him, not to us. Yeah I'm supposed be on 1000 once a day, told 2000 didn't bother them, no Problemo, like a diffinate answer myself. They , like most medicines, cost.

And Lucky Ducky you , Briswife, I feel I should have had a blood panel drawn, in June for my 9 month and especially for our co- condition. OSU never has called to aurthorize it, when I brought it up to PCP, he said you have 6 month check-in with me, I'll consider doing it in the office then, shoot I was already there with Tomkitten, why not now? Also been 3 months since Iron INFUSION, they told me test and receive every 3 months. Had blood drawn at the Band Aid station, our poor excuse for a community hospital in Mount Vernon. When I asked they batted. their eyes like a Southern Debutante, " Now you ought to kniw, we're not going to check a Silly Old Thing like that!" So do I try OSU, my Bariatric hospital of record? The last I called one of the N-P told me I was psychologically aberrant, a formal way of saying I was crazy as a look. Dumb me-- I thought repeated emesis might have been in their court! Or do I shut up, possibly become more anemic and until I topple over, nobody is concerned. Always heard squeaky wheels get lubricated, but either they don't have an oil can or I deserve not to have my worries addressed? WTF comes next?

AND my next PCP appointment? Two weeks from now, the 17th of July.👈😭👉

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

And Lucky Ducky you , Briswife, I feel I should have had a blood panel drawn, in June for my 9 month and especially for our co- condition. OSU never has called to aurthorize it, when I brought it up to PCP, he said you have 6 month check-in with me, I'll consider doing it in the office then, shoot I was already there with Tomkitten, why not now? Also been 3 months since Iron INFUSION, they told me test and receive every 3 months. Had blood drawn at the Band Aid station, our poor excuse for a community hospital in Mount Vernon. When I asked they batted. their eyes like a Southern Debutante, " Now you ought to kniw, we're not going to check a Silly Old Thing like that!" So do I try OSU, my Bariatric hospital of record? The last I called one of the N-P told me I was psychologically aberrant, a formal way of saying I was crazy as a look. Dumb me-- I thought repeated emesis might have been in their court! Or do I shut up, possibly become more anemic and until I topple over, nobody is concerned. Always heard squeaky wheels get lubricated, but either they don't have an oil can or I deserve not to have my worries addressed? WTF comes next?

Your surgeon should have ordered the labs to be done during your follow up appointment. Don’t worry, when I push things with my doctors I tend to look crazy. I’m on the Autism spectrum and at times get treated like I’m some crazy monster if I show I’m not happy with the doctor in any way.

I had to see a spine surgeon and he came in the room without announcing himself and was practically bouncing off the walls. Didn’t examine me and kept talking to his assistant. I practically tossed my very short self off the too high examination table and walked out of the room. I always have someone with me (my mom) talk about looking crazy being my age and having your mom with you. He didn’t listen or offer any options ... that’s just one example. I mentioned to my pcp and she’s like oh he has a reputation, why did you send me there?

Call up your surgeons office and find someone that can answer questions about getting a order for repeat blood labs to be drawn. Get a prescription that you can go to a place like Quest Diagnostics. My surgeon gave me prescription to have blood drawn prior to my next appointment. If they don’t listen maybe have someone advocate on your behalf. Being persistent about doing right by your health shouldn’t be seen as crazy.

Ive been through hell with doctors for way too long. I had one doctor threaten to call the cops , I didn’t even yell. I asked her why she said what she did, which was something insanely stupid. That was an endocrinologist. I swear sometimes doctors don’t know how to interpret blood tests.

Shortly after surgery I had critically low potassium levels and ended up in the hospital. I have had abnormal levels on some labs but no one says anything.

Like i I said get after your surgeons office about getting labs done and not wait until The next pcp appointment. It’s important to have labs done and results in before you have the appointment. I’m not sure why they would even wait to order them until they see you and then they won’t have the results. I’m not sure where their heads are at.

6 hours ago, Briswife15 said:

Yes! I just had lab work done and B12 was over 2000. I do take a supplement of 1000 micrograms a day. Doctor said to keep up with the supplements even though the result was high because there is no danger in too high B12, but low B12 can have serious consequences.

Honestly that makes no sense, even if you are supplementing that much b12 it is a Water soluble Vitamin that excess gets excreted in your urine.

It’s similar to how Vitamin C works. People take tons of vitamin c thinking it helps. Not really, most of it gets basically peed out.

Also Even if abnormally high b12 is explained by supplements, it doesn’t explain it without.

still. High blood b12 levels in my opinion either means your body isn’t utilizing the b12 properly or it’s indicative of a underlying problem.

Too many Vitamins are in a form the body can’t use properly. They need to be bioavailable to be more effective. Like Whole Foods based vitamins, especially in liquid or chewable forms.

Definitely push for a full panel of labs to be run! Your health depends on knowing your deficiencies and treating them if need be. You're not crazy as a loon!! Mine they did early because of our shared condition. Usually they do it at 6 months. Fingers crossed you get someone to pay attention at your next appointment on the 17th.

Mine came back in the 1900s. My surgeon said I was probably getting plenty in my Multivitamin and didn't need to supplement extra B12. The excess in your body won't hurt you, but its just a matter of not wasting money on unnecessary Vitamins.