Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you check yourself out of the hospital once they say you’re free to go? Or do I have to have someone drive me home? (I plan on getting the sleeve)
I really want to do this on my own and not have anyone know what I’m doing until I have everything under control. I don’t have family close by and don’t want my acquaintances to know. Don’t really have many friends I would feel comfortable with picking me up.

If it is a surgery center you have to have someone drive you. Don’t know about hospital. Your surgeons office should know the answer to that.

You're not supposed to drive within 24 hours of having anesthesia. Do you know how long you'll be in the hospital? I was there 3 days and 2 nights. You should definitely check with your surgeon's office. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

My hospital's instructions say no driving for 3 days and I'm not allowed walk home. We only live 2 blocks from the hospital, but my hubs will be going to get the car when I'm released.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

Uber or maybe hire a person to pick you up?

Good luck!

Uber or taxi is a great idea.

Maybe you could call the hospital where you're having your surgery and ask them. When I was discharged the nurse at the hospital had to walk me out and watch me get into the vehicle and see that my husband was driving. It seems like they could give you an accurate answer, but like the above posters recommended, I'm sure a taxi or an uber would be fine.

I was prescribed Dilaudid for pain. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to operate a motor vehicle while on Narcotics.

I'd check with the hospital, they usually have specific rules regarding how you're able to get home. When I had my EGD it had to be someone over 18 and NOT an uber or taxi. It might be different a few days after surgery but as long as you are taking narcotic pain killers you cannot drive, period. Hospitals almost always contract with private ambulance companies and they might have medicar or service car options that can get you home. The company I work for has very reasonable rates for this service with our contracted facilities, it's not usually covered by insurance and payment is typically required up front. Our rate includes a base rate plus per mile rate. This could be an option for you!

At my hospital before they do EGD and in my case EGJ, they come to the waiting room, ask each person waiting there are you Mr Smith or Mrs Jones or Ms Johnson's Designated Driver and you have to also tell them your cell phone #, then and only then do they proceed with the Endoscopies. Must have had something bad happen back in the past to act that way. My son said "I am Frustr8's son, my cell phone is xxx-xxxx, although I am not her driver this is our driver sitting next to me. That particular day it was my girl friend Kay. And it was all Good.

On 5/8/2019 at 6:07 PM, sunsetchaser said:

I haven’t met the surgeon yet. Getting ahead of myself I guess. I’ll meet him in 3 weeks which seems like forever since I’ve wanted this done over 20 years ago. My insurance covers it finally!!

Who is your insurance company? Did you already meet your out of pocket deduck?

My "care person" had to come to the pre-op day at the hospital. I couldn't have the surgery unless I had someone to take me home. Granted, there was no way I could have driven home.

My husband picked me up, but no one checked on that. When I was discharged and they asked me who was picking me up, but I just packed my bags and left. You could def just call a cab or Uber