Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Issues hitting protein goal, six weeks out.

So, I'm supposed to be on "normal" foods again by now, but I'm still having issues eating over 2-3 ounces of food at a time. Additionally, some so-called "normal" food refuses to stay down because my pouch just doesn't like it yet.

I was told by my nut that I need to hit 75 grams of Protein a day, and unfortunately, most of the food I can keep down doesn't quite have me hitting that goal. I find myself reaching for Protein Shakes again and again because I know that they can and do help me get the required protein I need.

I've tried making higher protein recipes, like putting Protein Powder in hummus to make it more protein, but maybe I'm not putting enough in. I also throw it into things like Wendy's chili, which stays down quite well.

Fish and chicken are both a bit hit or miss for me. Same thing with Jerky. Most of the time it goes down fine, but sometimes that changes. Any recommendations on how I can consistently hit my goals?

I wasn't able to hit my Protein goals until 4 months out because of limited food intake and the shakes make me sick. Don't stress if you aren't getting there just yet. You're only 6 weeks out! My surgeon said I can rely on the shakes (which I can't have sooooo) even up to a year if need be to get there. chicken and fish still make me feel crappy. Turkey patties have 22g of protein and sit well with me. 1 cup of cottage cheese is also 23g of protein. That's a lot right there and cottage cheese is easy to get down. Greek yogurt has 8-12g of protein depending on the brand. Don't feel bad if you need to supplement with Protein Shakes at 6 weeks. I'm 6 months out and not supposed to be on all foods yet for another 3 months according to my diet plan (still limitations on complex carbs, rough veggies, and nuts).

oddly, sashimi goes down fine. First place my wife and I went out to eat post-surgery together.

Unfortunately, second place did not sit well. Holding off on that one and a few others until I'm more situated. Turkey burgers sound like a good idea though.

I don’t think most nut are Bariatric patients & realize how hard it can be for some of us.

I think this is pretty normal. My RD always told me I might want to have at leasts 1 Protein Shake per day (25-30g of protein) for the first year at least, to help me meet my goal and take the pressure off allowing me to have more veggies with my meal quantity size.

I am an outlier so never had probs with meeting Protein goals. But she said, that she has clients who still have 1 shake a day and they are multiple years out. Many do better with the shake mixed in coffee or tea (thinning it down and making it less sweet) and many aren't Breakfast eaters.

I think they give you high goals so you try as hard as you can to reach them. My Protein goal was 90 grams. Yesterday was the first day I actually hit that. Dr told me drink 3 shakes a day and then other foods to get that 90 g. My calorie goal is supposed to be 1500. hah! and my nurse practitioner last week told me to at least try for 1200. I barely get 700.

I feel like i'm always eating. The high protein things I have are turkey, tuna won't go down well. Protein Shakes, Peanut Butter and my new favorite thing is low-fat string cheese. It is small but has 7 g of protein. Lowfat ricotta cheese with low sodium marinara has about 10g in a half cup. Oikos triple zero yogurt has 15g.

if I want pudding or applesauce I mix unflavored protein so it isn't empty calories. All my food has to have a protein-purpose.

It's okay to still be doing Protein Shakes at less than a month out. Don't try to push things too fast. Your body will and is telling you what it's willing to tolerate.