Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, I am still struggling with dumping syndrome side effects. I was sleeved Feb 2018, and have lost 78lbs which I am happy with. I have 20lbs until target weight. So all going well with the weight loss.

Once I started back on the diet, following high Protein, low carb, low sugar.. My new stomach has struggled. I have daily episodes of diarrhoea (maybe up to 7 or 8 times), heaps of gas and flatulence. I can still only eat maybe 4 or 5 tablespoons of food.

But what I'm just exhausted with is 14 months of dumping syndrome. Now everything I read and researched says it doesn't happen to sleeve patients, but can be an issue for gastric bypass patients.

At least once a day, about 10 to 15 minutes after eating (protein seems to trigger it), I become hot, sweaty, nauseous and suffer incredible fatigue. I could lay right under the dining table and sleep. I get light-headed,and my heart races. To be honest, I feel awful. And I cannot swallow another thing.

I chew my food very slowly, I don't drink with meals, and I am so sick of it. My husband has termed it the bariatric "ice-cream headache". You know, when you think your head is going to blow off because of freezing ice cream.. And then it goes away within 10 minutes or so?

After suffering with an episode for about 20-30 minutes, it then resolves back to completely normal. The diarrhoea is frequent and sporadic and is exhausting. Especially trying to keep up the Water intake. I would go back and see my surgeon except he retired. (Kind of... There are multiple charges of medical negligence and complaints about him, so he had had to cease working. I dodged a bullet right there!)

Is it even a tiny bit possible that he did a bypass rather than a sleeve on me? Are the symptoms I am suffering not associated with a sleeve with anyone else?

I just don't really know what to do. I keep thinking it will resolve but 14 months later it is as bad as it was in the first month.

I seriously recommend seeing a doctor, maybe changing doctors/hospital? Kinda surprised to hear a sleeve patient getting the dumping syndrome, as it is tended for Roux En-Y patients to get it . Wonder if in rare cases sleeve Patience get it?? I hope you start to feel better soon, and that these issues go away!!

I know.. That's what I thought too! Sleeve patients dont get dumping. I have to disclose here that my hubby is a doctor as well, and he is perplexed by my dumping symptoms. He has taken my blood pressure and other observations when I have the symptoms, and they are definitely real. I am drenched in sweat, my heart rate races to over 120, and my blood pressure drops dramatically. I become breathless and dizzy. I have seen our cardiologist and I check out ok with my EKG and echocardiogram.

Should I see a new dietician? Am I reacting too much to Protein? My husband is not in the field of bariatrics, so I will need to see a new surgeon. But what can they do anyway? Is this what bypass (or RouxnY) patients suffer for ever anyway? Good grief, it's miserable. I am starting to resist going out for meals and getting quite down about it.

I had the sleeve. Every now and then I have dumping, when I eat wrong (too much fat). I would definitely see another doctor about it. They can do some kind of test (x-ray, ct, scope) something to see if you have blockage, or other issue and to verify if you had sleeve or gastric bypass).

I would believe an Endoscopy was needed. Maybe your surgeon did not give you the stndard banana shape. I believe there was someone on here, having a world of problems, turned out her surgeon had made her VSG hour-glass shaped and she required surgical repairs. Think it had to be converted to something else, maybe my fellow posters can remember if she ended up with some sort of regular bypass or a DS? At any rate, hoping and praying. 👼🙏you get some sort of repair @Saxons!

39 minutes ago, Saxons said:

I know.. That's what I thought too! Sleeve patients dont get dumping. I have to disclose here that my hubby is a doctor as well, and he is perplexed by my dumping symptoms. He has taken my blood pressure and other observations when I have the symptoms, and they are definitely real. I am drenched in sweat, my heart rate races to over 120, and my blood pressure drops dramatically. I become breathless and dizzy. I have seen our cardiologist and I check out ok with my EKG and echocardiogram.

Should I see a new dietician? Am I reacting too much to Protein? My husband is not in the field of bariatrics, so I will need to see a new surgeon. But what can they do anyway? Is this what bypass (or RouxnY) patients suffer for ever anyway? Good grief, it's miserable. I am starting to resist going out for meals and getting quite down about it.

re; RNY and dumping - no, we don't suffer it forever. In fact, only about a third of RNY patients experience dumping, and that's only when they eat a lot of sugar. NOT every day. And it can be controlled by limiting (or avoiding) sugar. I'm not sure what exactly is going on with you, but that is awful!!!

8 hours ago, Saxons said:

Hi all, I am still struggling with dumping syndrome side effects. I was sleeved Feb 2018, and have lost 78lbs which I am happy with. I have 20lbs until target weight. So all going well with the weight loss.

Once I started back on the diet, following high Protein, low carb, low sugar.. My new stomach has struggled. I have daily episodes of diarrhoea (maybe up to 7 or 8 times), heaps of gas and flatulence. I can still only eat maybe 4 or 5 tablespoons of food.

But what I'm just exhausted with is 14 months of dumping syndrome. Now everything I read and researched says it doesn't happen to sleeve patients, but can be an issue for gastric bypass patients.

At least once a day, about 10 to 15 minutes after eating (protein seems to trigger it), I become hot, sweaty, nauseous and suffer incredible fatigue. I could lay right under the dining table and sleep. I get light-headed,and my heart races. To be honest, I feel awful. And I cannot swallow another thing.

I chew my food very slowly, I don't drink with meals, and I am so sick of it. My husband has termed it the bariatric "ice-cream headache". You know, when you think your head is going to blow off because of freezing ice cream.. And then it goes away within 10 minutes or so?

After suffering with an episode for about 20-30 minutes, it then resolves back to completely normal. The diarrhoea is frequent and sporadic and is exhausting. Especially trying to keep up the Water intake. I would go back and see my surgeon except he retired. (Kind of... There are multiple charges of medical negligence and complaints about him, so he had had to cease working. I dodged a bullet right there!)

Is it even a tiny bit possible that he did a bypass rather than a sleeve on me? Are the symptoms I am suffering not associated with a sleeve with anyone else?

I just don't really know what to do. I keep thinking it will resolve but 14 months later it is as bad as it was in the first month.

Sleeve patients can dump also. I too have no rhyme or reason as what will activate it. After talking to my team at my 1.5 post visit i decided to try to track carefully. Perhaps you can try to recognize and only eat the foods that don't bother you (safe fruits& vegetables, eggs vs meat, fish vs poultry, broiled vs baked, etc), no sauces, watch sugar macros carefully, and see a new team ASAP...

Good luck💜

Edited by GreenTealael

On 05/06/2019 at 09:34, GreenTealael said:

Sleeve patients can dump also. I too have no rhyme or reason as what will activate it. After talking to my team at my 1.5 post visit i decided to try to track carefully. Perhaps you can try to recognize and only eat the foods that don't bother you (safe fruits& vegetables, eggs vs meat, fish vs poultry, broiled vs baked, etc), no sauces, watch sugar macros carefully, and see a new team ASAP...

Good luck💜

Same here, sleever who dumps on rare occasions (more rarely than GT). My dumping is usually related to large amounts of sugar. But there have been instances of non sugar related dumping as well.

I have nothing to offer to actually resolve or prevent it though!

Oh thanks for all the replies! I am relieved to hear that there are other sleevers who suffer dumping. Some posters are adamant that sleeve patients definitely do not get dumping.

The suggestion to diarise and track my food intake is a good one. Might make it easier to pin down what is causing it. And yes, then I could take that information with me to a new dietician or nutritionist.

Do you still have your gallbladder? It doesn’t sound exactly like it, but there is some overlap to what I experienced when I had attacks.

I haven't had surgery yet, but I did have a band. I found that anything other than plant Protein Powder gave me gas and cramps, no dumping. I would see another doctor to see what is really going on.

Early on I had 'meat sweats' a few times right after eating, and the dizziness and would need to lie down. It's sounds like reactive hypoglycemia

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.eigerbio.com/resources/Goldfine-2016.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj12ZTU94niAhUNvKwKHU2qAx8QFjASegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3_1GW7msGkeuZlxOShhfXR

I have this same experience. It feels like "dumping", but truly is reactive hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. When you experience this or can feel it coming, eat something with 15 grams of carbs and the symptoms will subside in a couple minutes. Then follow up with some Protein.

Edited by brzycarol

On 5/6/2019 at 4:19 AM, Saxons said:

sleeve patients definitely dump. I think for some too much Protein and their bodies don't like it. Maybe add in more healthy carbs....