Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how has surgery impacted your hunger?

Just a little FYI..Im about 5 months out now and my appetite is back in full force. I really have to make an effort not to eat too much because it would be really easy for me to graze all day long. I can feel old cravings and habits coming back so i really have to keep myself in check!!

When I get hungry, it comes with a vengeance. I always carry a Protein Bar or a snack with me. However, if I eat time to time, this isn't a problem. I also feel if I have a meal for lunch instead of Protein bar/shake, it helps to keep me more satisfied. Hunger does exist, but I eat less.

Hey is there anyone else out there who Can't eat an Whole Protein Bar at one sitting, have break it down into 3 pieces, is 160-190 calories at a time too much for my Bariatric baby pouch to handle? I don't want to risk any more chances to Puke myself empty!

34 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Hey is there anyone else out there who Can't eat an Whole Protein Bar at one sitting, have break it down into 3 pieces, is 160-190 calories at a time too much for my Bariatric baby pouch to handle? I don't want to risk any more chances to Puke myself empty!

one piece is 160-190 calories? I cannot eat the whole bar either. I usually do it by oz. I do not exceed 2-3oz at a go. I wait and usually I am stuffed at this point. I do not go by calories as much in sense of how much I eat. I weight/measure. I do record my food to see how I am doing overall calories. I used to eat nuts, which I ended up cutting because I felt even with 1oz, that is like 160-170 calories, so I switched to Greek Yogurt which keeps me full and has more Protein.

Currently 6 weeks out.

Everyone is different in my surgical group two people woke up hungry.

I had bypass. I would say food aversion was the name of the game for me for about four weeks. I occasionally had head hunger but no real hunger.

Breakfast: no hunger

Lunch: yes hunger ( I walk at least 4 miles in the am so maybe that is why.

Dinner: no hunger.

Even when I am hungry, it isn't the same at all as before. It isn't a gnawing feeling that won't go away-. It is more like....hmmm I could eat but if I can't that is okay, too.

Also, like one bite removes that feeling completely.

I still have to consciously remind myself to eat, even with my new hungry feeling once a day.

I wasn't hungry at first but it came back with avengeance at 4 months or so. I get hungry often but it doesn't take much to satisfy it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am only 3 weeks out but I do not have hunger. I also don't feel really full after eating either. This is probably ideal and I hope it continues.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:16 PM, Zemi said:

one of the things with both surgical options i’m considering (bypass and sleeve) is that i’ve been told the hunger should disappear. Has this been your experience for this post surgery?

4 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Excellent information. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I'm about nine weeks out, no real hunger. Like I get a faint feeling in my stomach when I'm thirsty, but not really any sort of real hunger.

One thing I've noticed I've started doing at night though is snacking. It's healthy protein-filled Snacks, but still a snack. I don't really need to do it, so I really should stop.

Though... oddly, the snacking seems to have helped break my stall.

36 minutes ago, Ellf said:

I'm about nine weeks out, no real hunger. Like I get a faint feeling in my stomach when I'm thirsty, but not really any sort of real hunger.

One thing I've noticed I've started doing at night though is snacking. It's healthy protein-filled Snacks, but still a snack. I don't really need to do it, so I really should stop.

Though... oddly, the snacking seems to have helped break my stall.

You should really stop not. Get more nutrition if you need it at another less volatile time of the day. Try to stop the eating 3-4 hours before bed. You'll thank yourself later.

46 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

You should really stop not. Get more nutrition if you need it at another less volatile time of the day. Try to stop the eating 3-4 hours before bed. You'll thank yourself later.

Well, technically that night snack is about three to four hours before I go to sleep. I'm a bit of a night owl.

3 minutes ago, Ellf said:

Well, technically that night snack is about three to four hours before I go to sleep. I'm a bit of a night owl.

sleep is so important doll. Not just for weight loss, but for health...I'm learning so much about how important it is. Right now, am listening to a neuro scientist talk about how sleep is the single biggest determinant to health and to a healthy dementia-free life. :(

Just now, FluffyChix said:

sleep is so important doll. Not just for weight loss, but for health...I'm learning so much about how important it is. Right now, am listening to a neuro scientist talk about how sleep is the single biggest determinant to health and to a healthy dementia-free life. :(

Can't really help how I'm wired, but as long as I get at least 3 REM cycles a night, I'm good. I usually get about 6-7 hours of sleep on a weekday, 7-9 on a weekend.

I had my surgery, gastric bypass, on 1/22/19. What I notice the most is head hunger. My mind wants food but my stomach says no. I find myself wanting to put a lot of food on my plate when it is something I really like and being disappointed that I can only eat a bit and not a lot like I used to. So I have to remind myself that I can no longer eat like that, nor do I want to, intellectually. Granted all this happens in a couple of seconds. "Mmm, I want more...no I can't have more... sadness... (pep-talk) this is the way it is now and how it should be" Then I hope my brain will eventually train itself to not be so greedy. For the most part, I eat because it is "time to eat" and not so much because I feel hunger. When I do it is typically a side effect of some of my meds which cause hunger or I missed the "time to eat" cause I was busy and eventually my stomach says "hey, remember me?" I think I am probably one of the luckier ones in this. It would be so much more difficult if I was dealing with stomach hunger as well as mind hunger.