Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would love to hear from those that have had DS surgery. The good the bad and the ugly. I’m having trouble keeping the weight off from my sleeve surgery 2 years ago and I’m considering heading it off before it becomes a mess!!

I would like to know specifically how it’s different. If you feel less hunger and if the malabsorption factor is of tremendous help.

Would also love to know what terrible side effects you have had, what you have had to change in your life because of the surgery and whether or not you would do it again knowing what you know now.

Lastly recovery! I’ve read it’s easier than the sleeve. Would love to hear your experiences.

TIA!!!!

II am a Gastric Bypass 7 yrs out. I personally give serious consideration to long term commitment to suppliementing, at least twice yearly labs, possible Vitamin deficiencies before doing DS. I would never do DS at your weight. With my bypass, I absorb about 60% of what I eat. With the DS, it will be even more drastic. As far as I know, it is irreversible. However, if you want I would do rny bypass, which I have. At 7 yrs out, I have developed issues flip side - absolutely no appetite, terrible labs, losing too much weight, getting a little scary. On Vit B12 injections, having Iron infusions, Vit D Supplementation, seeing a hematologist. Make sure you know what you are getting into! Can also have higher risks of complications from DS. I know you're desperate to lose the weight. You might want to consider the gastric balloon. Not permanent, but definitely better than the lapband. The balloon is guided into your stomach. Gives you a sense of fullness. Can be replaced after 6 months. Just know if you do the DS, you will have to do high supplementation for the rest of your life, which can be quite expensive. Also, you have to have a very balanced diet. Can have issues with serious dumping syndrome, all kinds of things. Hope this is helpful...do your research before doing any permanent surgery. No way would I do the DS.

Can I ask what’s a DS?

You can look up BPD/DS..Right now, I have a gastric stricture. Not one dr has concluded this yet, but extensive research I have done for last week has led me to this conclusion. Newbies in the honeymoon stage hate me. Think I'm being negative...no, being realistic. Do you think my bariatric surgeon told me all of the possible complications - of course not, this is what he does for a living. Luckily, he is a good surgeon so I hope he didn't make my opening too small. Praying for last hour, as it took me, not the three doctors I've seen, to diagnose myself. Even an experienced nurse in a Bariatric Surgeon's office said I was anorexic and needed a good dietician. I am not anorexic! How did I get so fat? And struggle to keep the weight off for 7 years, and suddenly develop anorexia...total nonsense. I am literally getting unable to eat, it nauseates me and I can hardly swallow. My bowels are shutting down.. But I know hospitals can screw up. God, this is overwhelming. So, I'm praying and claiming, I'm right, I'm getting to the right Bariatric Surgeon or right ER doctor, etc. Praying I have no complications from the correction, dilation of the stricture. I may have to have multiple dilations. I may develop a bleed during dilation. Hope you get the drift how complicated this is. Please don't take this the wrong way, but if I asked, May I ask what a DS is, you are not a good candidate for DS. You can fight serious health complications, requiring many hospitalizations, or even death. May not happen, but may. And you cannot be revised from DS, If surgery is available, any responsible surgeon wouldn't do it If you can't lose the weight at this point, get intensive therapy before making such a lifetime commitment. From your pic you don't look that old. This is for the rest of your life!!! Bariatric practices are going to tell you about all of the successes, not the failures. I would be considered a huge success, maintained my weight for 7 years, and now losing....how exciting....wrong...I may be dying. Praying for Divine Intervention. I'm not ready to check out yet.

And I hope you do get intervention, Remember the Squeaky Wheel gets greased better than sitting politely. and,not making waves. Scream if you like, you have earned THAT Right! 🙏Praying you find and receive repaid. Been fighting my stricture since a few weeks in, told. last Wedneday it finally appeared open on last endoscopy, had emesis all last nighy, woke up this AM , took small sip of liquid, now laying quietly on my bed trying my best not to lose that Water too. And I hurt in my pouch and across my Right Subcostal area where my ulceration resides.
Why Me, Dear Lord, Why Me? I have really tried to be Good!

I haven't had DS. But the hunger factor would be controlled by your sleeve surgery (which is actually stage 1 of a DS - but you've already had that part of it). It cuts out much of the part of the stomach that produces ghrelin. So that piece you've already had. What the intestinal part (stage 2) will give you is malabsorption, which will also help with weight loss.

The malabsorption you get from a DS is greater than what people get from RNY, which means you'll need to be even more diligent about taking your Vitamins. Vitamin deficiency is more of a risk with DS than it is with RNY, so you will really need to keep on top of this for the rest of your life. Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of primary care doctors are familiar with the sleeve and the RNY, but not the DS, so you may have to "teach" them and become your own health advocate.

other than that, there are a lot of people out there who are very happy with their DS. Although I do agree with the above poster that at your weight, I'm not sure I'd consider it. It's a pretty radical surgery and probably more appropriate for someone with a TON of weight to lose.

Thank you all for your replies! I’m not sure what’s scarier another surgery or gaining the weight back. I’m also not sure what my profile says but my highest weight was 283 I got down to 171 didn’t stay there long and am now about 200. I’m hopeful that a more “serious” surgery would prevent me from gaining the weight back and also help me to get down to 140-160 as I’m still pretty high up on the evil BMI scale at 5’2”

When my surgeon suggested it 3 months ago it seemed radical and after 3 months of trying to get it off I feel defeated and am thinking I will be white knuckling it through the rest of my life without revision.

I’ve tried therapy and am seeing a nutrionist Wednesday. Very lost and confused at this point and trying to figure out how to handle this before I gain it all back.

Sweetie, this is exactly what I was trying to say...you're not sure!! Until you really get all of the information, weigh the type of commitment you are going to make the REST of your life, support system in place to keep you well in case you become unwell in your mind, etc., just go into it knowing this is a commitment for the REST of your life. I'm not saying don't do it, just become well informed about all of the possible risks, possible complications, even the small risk of death. If you feel this is the ONLY way you can control your weight, and put yourself in the worst possible outcome, even death from the surgery, and you still say YES, then do it. But, I would do the RNY Bypass if it were me. Although I am having stricture problems now, I've done pretty well the last 7 years with only one dumping syndrome. Some people dump regularly and it's not fun. Not sure if you do it with the sleeve. I'm not sure how many long term post op DS patients there are out there, but if you can find a forum for them, talk to them, not the newbies. Many complications don't develop until later down the road. I just went thru a situation with bad labs, had to get Iron infusions, doing VitB 12 injections, Vit D. Some even have an issue with affording all of the Protein supplements and supplements in general. For me, I'm not saying for anyone else, I wish I had done intensive therapy before doing the surgery. I had been thin most of my life, but didn't become morbidly obese until I was under severe stress with a drug addicted only child. I eventually lost him to suicide in 2015. Take all of the reasons why you are overeating and see if you can address them first, and if you can't, then you'll ultimately have to make the decision. No one can make that for you.

@violet p .. not getting the DS, simply thought we can ask questions here and learn/read people’s story’s (without getting offensive) , and thanks I did google it! Does look extreme, and your right everyone should think long and hard and get all their facts before going under. Wish you all the best, and that it gets better.

I had the DS a month and one week ago. I’m still new to all of this but I don’t regret my decision. Like a previous poster said the sleeve part is what controls hunger and it’s the malabsorption part that helps you lose more weight. If you do get the revision you do have to make sure you are taking all your Vitamins everyday. With the DS you only absorb 40% of the calories you eat from complex carbs and Protein, 20% from fat and 100% of the calories from simple carbs and sugar. So you will have to learn to control your cravings for the sugary simple carbs. Before surgery my surgeon did say that there is the possibility of the surgery working too well and you lose too much weight. He did tell me there are ways to revise the surgery so the part where the food and digestive juices mix is longer and the key is to keep your surgery team aware you are having problems when you begin to have them. I have learned a lot about the surgery from shrinking violetds on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfDprJMbSy-J3MILnRPT8Yw

She is currently maintaining and had the DS.

You said you wanted the ugly right? My mom had the DS and its not pleasant in the bathroom area. She's never been able to overcome extreme gas, pretty gross bathroom habits and IBS like symptoms. It was over 10 years ago and never improved.