Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you have never tried to sous vide meat (chicken, pork, etc), I HIGHLY recommend it. If you then sear in the juices afterwards, it becomes heavenly. It really changes how it tastes and makes it soooo juicy. My husband just yesterday sous vide cooked a lot of skinnless chicken breast for me and then pan "fried" it (just a little oil salt/pepper, garlic powder, etc) . Then he sliced it to look pretty and measured out 150 portions to vacuum pack individually. (Im pre-op so 150g maybe more than I can have post-op..dunno.) Those then went into the freezer.

So today, I pulled out one pack and defrosted/warmed it in the microwave while I was cooking some asparagus with a dash of parmasean. It took me all of 10-15 minutes to prepare and boy was it good.

Even when Im post-op, I am so looking forward to this kind of meal.

And ooh it does sound so good! I am 8 months after, although others at this point are level 3 or 4, which is basically small portions healthy normal foods, due to prolonged stoma stenosis and jujenal ulceration I am just now "testing the waters" . Don't worry , you will not emulate me in THIS, I am So Special I have become a "one of a kind " after all. liquids and purees become tasteless and boring after month after month, basically stuck,in This Mode ever since my month pre-surgery liver shrink, which was August 2018, the bestest news is 140 pounds down from highest recorded weight, 95 pounds since surgery, and after many bumpy months I think I can see the joys of Onederland ahead, NP at my Bariatric Clinic says I should break the 200 pound barrier at or shortly past my one-year anniversary-- which will be September 7th. And after what I have been through that last 20-25 pounds until goal should do easier. One of the staff says she would be satisfied with 199 or less for ME but I would like to give size 15 Junior and 175 pounds a try, after all I have spent the first 72 years of my life Obese, why not become a Olympic contender and receive my GOLD metal after all!

I got one just prior to surgery, so a few weeks ago. My first meal with it was salmon, I did the same thing you did: cooked it with the Sous Vide then pan fried it very quickly. It was wonderful. I was a vegetarian for 20 years, so I am not great at cooking meat. This has kept me from overcooking it.

I’m in the purée stage right now, and getting ready to bring in some soft foods. So I’m doing some food prep today for it. I’ll be cooking more salmon, some brown chicken meat, and egg Sous Vide (omg, melt in your mouth delicious!). The meats should be soft enough to make some nice spreads with so that I can tolerate it next week. I’m planning on freezing most of the meats to pull from as needed.

Food prep is key for me to stay on track. My little Sous Vide gadget has taken it to the next level, which I’m thrilled with.

54 minutes ago, Krestel said:

Im pre-op so 150g maybe more than I can have post-op..dunno.

yeah...150g may be more than you will be able to eat at one sitting.

I'm about 6.5 months post op and can usually have 40-50g of Protein at a meal. Sometimes, I can get get maybe 70g down, but that is rare.

I bought one about 4 months ago and haven't used it yet. Better get on it, because this sounds great!

How many grams is 150 to ounces? I bought a food scale and haven't used that either yet.

I'm not much of a cooker and buy a lot of prepared foods, which is probably not the best idea. I do however keep it simple.

8 hours ago, gabybab said:

I bought one about 4 months ago and haven't used it yet. Better get on it, because this sounds great!

How many grams is 150 to ounces? I bought a food scale and haven't used that either yet.

I'm not much of a cooker and buy a lot of prepared foods, which is probably not the best idea. I do however keep it simple.

Sous vode is something for us non-cookers. I am (almost pathologically) scared of burning things, but since you cant really overcook in a sous vide and you are just searing it in the pan, I can handle it no problem.

150g is approximately 5.3 oz which is prolly a bit too much post-op, but since you cook whole skinless chicken breast, you can cook it and then cut it up the the weight you want.

So go for it!

Oh man, finally a topic I can talk in! I sous vide all the damn time now. I do meal prep for the week with mine. I went with the Joule from ChefSteps. While I don't like the fact that there are not controls on the circulator (everything is done via smartphone), it consistently wins the comparisons because of it's ability to maintain temp and speed at which it brings the Water up to temp. Plus it has a magnetic base so you can use antique turkey pans as sous vide containers!

I have sous vide entire pork butts, beef brisket, turkeys, fish... you name a meat , I've sous vide it. Hands down the best steak I ever ate was from my sous vide. And it was a cheap skirt or flank steak. Veggies are actually more of a pain in my opinion, but they are not that bad. I highly recommend getting good vacuum sealer if you plan on doing long cooks. Brisket takes over 36 hours.

So far, my absolute favorite thing to do right now are the Butterball turkey roasts. They are breasts & dark meat netted together. I will stuff a couple pieces of back into the netting, season the meat however I feel like that day, then I will smoke it for about 2 hours. Pull it from the smoker and then vacuum seal it and plop it in the sous vide until I am ready for dinner. I swear you will never have a better bite of smoked turkey.

Ok, I'll admit ignorance! What on earth is sous vide?????

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

It's a method of cooking under Water. You need a special appliance that fits on the side of a pot that keeps the water at a constant temperature. You place your meat in a ziploc or vacuum seal bag with whatever seasoning you like, then in the water. You brown the meat afterwards and it's supposed to be super tender and amazing.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

40 minutes ago, Briswife15 said:

Thanks, MrsGamgee! I have never heard of that before and I'm a food Network junkie!! Lol!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Like this. I was making egg Sous Vide.

9CA982E0-7A53-4B49-92E3-8E41C7938575.jpeg

DD1F2D51-5B93-4617-80E2-073DD2065CD2.jpeg

I love to sous vide too!!! I’m on full liquid stage but can’t wait to make a salmon in mine!!!

On 5/6/2019 at 11:24 PM, AngieBear said:

Like this. I was making egg Sous Vide.

What are those containers you have the eggs in? Im so curious.

I bought them off of Amazon specifically for eggs. This was their maiden voyage, and they worked well! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HS2KN1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1