Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HI everyone! I started my journey in May of 2016 when I went to my family doctor frustrated with my lymphedema issues in my lower ;egs and chronic back pain. I had been to the lymphedema clinic off and on over the past 6 years and was still doing leg compression machine twice daily. In between treatments, my legs swelled bad and hurt to walk. He basically said nothing more could be done. He asked if I had thought about weight loss surgery. I had never really studying up on it and didn't know much about it. He brought in his critical care case manager nurse to talk further about it. After our talk, I agreed for her to schedule me an appointment with the weight loss clinic in nearby town. Couple weeks later I went to the information meeting and had my referral already with me for the program. I was a bit overwhelmed at first but knew this was only way I would feel better. June 2016 I went to my first class and knew this was the plan for me. Meet with the surgeon and he suggested the sleeve for me considering other health issues I had. I was glad for that one from my research. I joined the health club where the weight loss clinic was at to walk the lazy river and get into arthritis exercise classes. I was overwhelming the first couple nutrition classes but I knew I had to follow this or it would be a waste of time. I started watching my 600 lb Life TV show. I was weighing 436 which was my highest weight and was miserable and hated looking at myself in the mirror. Started exercising and eating healthy and charting everything. I lost 9 lbs the first week from cutting out soda, and tons of junk food and not eating fast foods and exercising in the pool. In the 14 week nutrition classes, and following months prior to surgery, I lost 70 lbs. I was approved in January 2017 for surgery and got my date for the operation. I was upset at first that I had to wait 6 months, but now I am so glad. I was able to lose more weight and was mentally prepared for the surgery. Was able to get things prepared at home also. Surgery day came and I was not scared. Actually very eager for my new life to start. Surgery went well and was not in a lot of pain. That day was foggy and still don't remember much. Did develop minor complication but not from surgery itself. I was borderline anemic prior to surgery and was having issues with my blood count being too low. I was in hospital for 6 days as I had to get 5 blood transfusions . It was rough first month adjusting but soon weight starting coming off and feeling better. I was able to get off all asthma meds (3), blood pressure, Water pills, depression meds, arthritis meds and pain pills. All I am taking is an allergy med and anxiety med for restless legs. My lymphedema issues are gone, less back and knee pain. First year I lost 105 lbs. Now approaching my 2 year anniversary, I have lost a total of 225 lbs and going in for knee replacement surgery next month. I have had no weight gain since the first month of surgery. I have gone from size 30-32 clothes to a 16/18. Few problems I have encounter were all my own issues in pushing the limits on eating and they were very minor things and didn't last very long. I am so glad I had this operation as I was headed for life in a wheelchair and probably nursing home as my legs were not getting better and chronic ulcers on them. After rehabbing from knee surgery, I will be able to continue losing the additional 25 lbs I want to reach my final goal and toning up that I haven't been able to do because of bad knees. Exercising is just lots of walking and swimming. I have had great support team at the weight loss clinic and family doctor and don't think I could have accomplished all without them. and family and friends support. Pictures of me at my heaviest and then recent one from Easter this year.

Becky n I 4-28-13.jpg

Easter 2018.jpg

Oh wow, congrats on your decision and your progress.

Wow! So inspiring! Congratulations on your weight loss and new life you look beautiful!

Awesome and inspiring!!! Well done!![emoji114][emoji114][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Wowowowow! Congrats to you!!! I'm so excited for your surgery and recovery. That's just inspiring and awesome!! I hope everyone reads your story so they know that weight loss doesn't "automatically" stop at 1 year, or 18 months, or 2 years!!! You got this girl!!!

Amazing! Such an inspiration. You look beautiful! You should be so proud of all you accomplished. Congratulations!