Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is something that was in the material my doctor gave me.

About half of our patients notice some Hair loss at 3-5 months after surgery, and half don’t notice any change. Sometimes the hair loss can be worrisome; the hairbrush fills every time, the shower and clothes and car are all covered with hair, etc. We believe this is caused by a response of the body to the stress and semi-starvation of the first few weeks after surgery. The hair loss begins as the hair roots “wake up” and begin to grow new hair, which pushes out the old. The hair loss usually lasts for 4-8 weeks. We do occasionally see patients whose hair visibly thins a bit, but very few patients have required wigs. Your hair will return to its normal thickness (probably with improved texture) over time. The best way to help your hair recover is to take the recommended supplements and to be sure your diet is protein-focused.

On 05/24/2019 at 05:42, Stitches78 said:

This is something that was in the material my doctor gave me.

About half of our patients notice some Hair loss at 3-5 months after surgery, and half don’t notice any change. Sometimes the hair loss can be worrisome; the hairbrush fills every time, the shower and clothes and car are all covered with hair, etc. We believe this is caused by a response of the body to the stress and semi-starvation of the first few weeks after surgery. The Hair loss begins as the hair roots “wake up” and begin to grow new hair, which pushes out the old. The hair loss usually lasts for 4-8 weeks. We do occasionally see patients whose hair visibly thins a bit, but very few patients have required wigs. Your hair will return to its normal thickness (probably with improved texture) over time. The best way to help your hair recover is to take the recommended supplements and to be sure your diet is protein-focused.

This was my experience exactly! I lost hair despite meeting Protein goals & taking all my supplements, including everything possible to combat hair loss.

3 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Green Tealael I have an FYI/TMI question. Does T Effluvium have to do with head hair only or all Bodily hair? The later sounds pretty scary,not sure I am going to feel Gung Ho the whole way.

Hmmm Not certain. I think that's a question for a Dermatologist & I didn't ask mine this o3n particular because I don't think I cared about other hair locations.

It could be all over but I'm only guessing that when the hair from your head is shedding in excess vs your legs you just notice/focus on one site more.

My Hair loss started 3 weeks out from surgery and now I am almost 7 months and it has not stopped or slowed down at all. I have extremely thin hair now.

Someone suggested L Lysine. I used it for cold sores, it makes them go away and it is cheap. You can Google it apparently it enhances Calcium too.

My big question is when does the hair start growing back. I’m 5 months out, take my Vitamins and get my Protein, take extra Biotin and PRAY for my hair and my vanity. But the Hair loss started about 5 weeks ago and has not let up. Almost scary. My hair is so thin you can see my scalp all over. Any ideas on growing back time?? Oh, and my experience is I’ve lost hair elsewhere also.

I am a red-head, at best we are the fewest hairs per square inch, just had my have cut to a d.a., wore this style at 14, don't gave the swoop ducktail, but if my hair is cut short it does tend to wave and curl.So going that route, wigs are hot, always found them uncomfortable and I just don't have the money they cost!