Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First half marathon

Running my first race on 5/19. It will be one hell of a race because it’s a long distance. I can complete the distance on my own an I am confident I will do well. My question is, what can I expect? How are these things structured? I am nervous because I’ve never done one of these and being around all those people running at the same time, lol. And advice would be appreciated :)

Having never done this before, I can't give any advice but just wanted to say Good Luck! Thirteen miles is a long way and certainly something to be proud of!

Good luck and kudos to you for such an awesome challenge! Keep us posted!

On 5/4/2019 at 5:21 AM, Bree130 said:

Running my first race on 5/19. It will be one hell of a race because it’s a long distance. I can complete the distance on my own an I am confident I will do well. My question is, what can I expect? How are these things structured? I am nervous because I’ve never done one of these and being around all those people running at the same time, lol. And advice would be appreciated :)

Congrats! I'm so excited for you. Please post some photos after your run.

Can I ask when you had surgery? How has your training been? What distance have you ran prior? Have you had any issues fueling pre race or during running?

The running community is a fantastic, positive supporting group of people. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Enjoy the day.

If you’re not comfortable around the crowd. Wear ear buds in one ear and listen to your play list. Keep one ear bud off to listen for runners around you while on the route. Sometimes its like herding cattle until people get though the start line.

Check online for the following:

Packet pick up is fun. Usually the day before or day of the race. Go the day before. You will get an idea of the people you will be running with. It’s nice to have your shirt and race number pre-race.

Look up you race route. Take note of Water, food and porta potty stations along your route. Take your own food that you can tolerate. Many stations have Gatorade with sugar. Avoid it. The last thing you want is an upset stomach on the run.

Race day:

Parking can be an issue. Check to see if they provide a shuttle to get you to the start and take you back to your car and the end of your run.

If your race start and finish lines are different locations.: Check to see if the run provides a bag drop off. It may be cold in the morning. You can place warm clothing/coat in a bag. Put your race number name etc. on it. There will be an information booth at the start line. Ask where to load your bag. They will bring it to the finish line at end of the race for pick up.

Head to the start line: Woohoo! Get pumped up.

Many races have recovery food and after party at the end. If you feel comfortable hang out and take in your accomplishment.

I had surgery 3/2018. As soon as they gave me the ok to exercise, I did and have built up since then. For the few weeks I’ve been able to complete 13.1 miles. I run 3x a week and cross train. Running schedule consists of 4 hill miles, then a fast 6 miles then the long run. Cross training consists of weights and HIIT on off days and 2 rest days. Fueling has been ok. Although, I hate eating Pasta now, I eat it before I run and while I run I drink Gatorade. Still haven’t mastered the stomach issues that come after my long run though 😦 After reading your post, that Gatorade may be the issue, lol!!

1 hour ago, Bree130 said:

I had surgery 3/2018. As soon as they gave me the ok to exercise, I did and have built up since then. For the few weeks I’ve been able to complete 13.1 miles. I run 3x a week and cross train. Running schedule consists of 4 hill miles, then a fast 6 miles then the long run. Cross training consists of weights and HIIT on off days and 2 rest days. Fueling has been ok. Although, I hate eating Pasta now, I eat it before I run and while I run I drink Gatorade. Still haven’t mastered the stomach issues that come after my long run though 😦 After reading your post, that Gatorade may be the issue, lol!!

My half marathon is on the 18th. I’m carb loading this week. Sweet potatoes are my go to. Spaghetti the night before. I get runners stomach on long runs. (It happens to runners that haven’t had surgery) I do liquid carbs day of and on my route. Its trial and error to find what works.

I cant wait to see your photos. I hope its a great day for you.

11 hours ago, Bree130 said:

Here’s some pics! Finished strong. That’s all I wanted ❤️ How did yours go?

image-0.0109672546386719.jpg

image-0.00500679016113281.jpg

image-0.0100135803222656.jpg

I love the shirt!

How did it go? How was navigating the race structure/set up? All your hard work and seeing how strong you truly are inside and out is an amazing feeling. Congrats on your race.

Mine went fine. Still recovering a bit.

I hear you. The course was absolutely stunning. A few times I caught myself looking around instead of focusing, lol. And you are completely right. Seeing and feeling what I am capable of is the most amazing feeling. Thanks for the support. On the the next one 😎

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches