Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started the process this morning!

Hi, everyone! I've been lurking for a while. After 20 years of doing EVERYTHING I can think of to lose weight and ALWAYS gaining it back, I went to discuss weight loss surgery this morning. I am moving ahead with a gastric sleeve. My doctor is getting me started with all the bloodwork, endoscopy, etc. I need to do.

I am scared but I am ready and tired of living this way. Just wanted to say hi and ask for some encouragement!

Good on you! I made the decision for the same reason. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. It may be different for you but my pre op took quite a while but I had to do six months with a nutritionist before the other steps could begin. If that is the case for you then please be patient. Eventually surgery day comes. I'm just a month post op.

Good on you! I made the decision for the same reason. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. It may be different for you but my pre op took quite a while but I had to do six months with a nutritionist before the other steps could begin. If that is the case for you then please be patient. Eventually surgery day comes. I'm just a month post op.
I think I've met all my insurance qualifications already. What I have to do are clinic requirements. We will see. My mom is a bariatric nurse and had gastric bypass. We don't live in the same city but she is a godsend in this process.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was the same way! I made my first appointment back in January 2018 had my gastric sleeve in March 2018. Reached my goal in January 2019. Best decision I’ve made! Good luck to you.

12 minutes ago, Randi3434 said:

How are you doing post OP?

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm doing great. There are normal challenges that are part of surgery of any kind. Some manageable pain, soreness at the incision, Constipation. All were easily fixed. Ask for zofran when you leave the hospital for nausea. The hardest part was to try and keep food interesting during each stage. I find that I enjoy my small meals if they are very flavorable. Some foods didn't sit well so I have waited another week to try again. I'm down 28 lbs. so no complaints here. It's a process with a learning curve. Your mom will be such a great resource. Best of luck.

2 hours ago, Randi3434 said:

Hi, everyone! I've been lurking for a while. After 20 years of doing EVERYTHING I can think of to lose weight and ALWAYS gaining it back, I went to discuss weight loss surgery this morning. I am moving ahead with a gastric sleeve. My doctor is getting me started with all the bloodwork, endoscopy, etc. I need to do.

I am scared but I am ready and tired of living this way. Just wanted to say hi and ask for some encouragement!

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME TO THE BORED WE ARE ALL IN DIFFERENT STAGES ONLY THING I CAN SAY IS I WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD IT DONE SOONER STILL VERY HAPPY AND I SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN chicken TO DO IT OR MAYBE I JUST WAS NOT READY

I can relate - I have thought about surgery for YEARS - but always found more reasons to not have surgery than to have surgery - until I turned 50 and somehow I started to look at things differently. I started my process last year and had my surgery on Dec 26, 2018! I still have a looong way to go, but I am so very happy that I did it!!

Good luck to you!!

Hello Randi, thanks for starting this conversation! I'm a lurker myself and I finally decided to do something. First thing being taking my lapband this morning!![emoji114][emoji114][emoji114][emoji114]. It was 7 years of a horrible relationship!! This past month was the final end and with the inspiration of those I've read on bariatricpal, I saw my surgeon last week, insurance approved the removal in 2 days after my initial consultation. I'm waiting for the approval for gastric sleeve revision that was submitted 4/30. I'm hoping not to go through the hoops again!🤞🤞

My surgeon wants to wait 2 to 3 months between removal and revision which I'm fine with although I was initially gutted I couldn't do it simultaneously! I agreed with her reasoning.

I've been up and about since removal this morning and will be going to work on Sunday with no problems.

I hope to get the sleeve end of summer after a worry and lapband free summer holiday.

I'm 5'3" and 199lbs as of this morning. So "low" BMI within a hair's breath of 35 (drank some Water at the surgeon consultation[emoji3]). Totally beyond stalled with the lapband and hated life after the band! Paid out of pocket too[emoji25][emoji25].

Everyone here has been inspirational and I pray to actually get to a weight I've thought was impossible and I hope to share for that person like me.

Thanks to my new found pals[emoji8][emoji7]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Randi, just wanted to wish you luck,with your future surgery and Good Healing afterward. May this commitment to your future weight loss and Good Health be the most wonderful thing for your life!