Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One month into Obalon and very pleased

I just wanted to share my experience in case it is helpful to someone else considering using the Obalon balloon.

I had the first balloon placed on 4/1, and the second balloon placed three weeks later. I've lost 17 pounds this first month and have very little appetite. Unfortunately, if I'm not careful I find that I have stomach upset/vomiting. While unpleasant, it has definitely led to me eating slowing (so I am sure to stop when I am full) and choosing my foods carefully (things like Beans and chopped veggies don't seem to always agree now with my stomach). I am thrilled at how things are going so far. Because I'm not able to eat more than 700-900 calories, I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to have the third balloon placed. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I would most welcome them.

I am hoping to lose 25 more pounds while the balloons are in place and practice how I'd like to eat and exercise afterward. I am really hopeful that this tool will really be able to help me make a significant and lasting change.

The nausea is definitely caused by eating too fast, and that should calm down in a little more time, and there are some veggies that you probably won't ever adjust to until the balloons come out (for me, it was kale).

That said, eating slowly is an excellent habit that will help on your longer term journey, so if eating slowly helps prevent the nausea, that's a great way to build that habit.

As for the ongoing calorie levels, do you have access to a doctor or nutritionist/dietitian that can help answer that? My husband and I were told to aim for 800-900 calories/day but not to go under 800 too often, as it becomes hard to get enough Protein below those levels. But everyone's a little different.

Edited by ItME

I just got my first balloon placed yesterday. First few hours I couldn’t even tell anything was done then I started to cramp and this morning the nausea is so bad. I’m taking my meds like prescribed. Do you have any extra tips to help and any indication how long it will last?

6 hours ago, JenMirf said:

I just got my first balloon placed yesterday. First few hours I couldn’t even tell anything was done then I started to cramp and this morning the nausea is so bad. I’m taking my meds like prescribed. Do you have any extra tips to help and any indication how long it will last?

I had the Reshape, so my experience might be a bit different, but I had bad cramps for about 5 days— around day 3 I was seriously wondering what I’d gotten myself into. I had hiccups and acid reflux for a week as well. The first week genuinely sucks. Try to drink some flat ginger ale today and work your way up to small sips of broth; your body needs the fluids. Take small small sips though because bigger sips will make you cramp even worse. By around Day 5 or 6 you should be able to have some small portions of very soft foods like a puréed potato (no butter or milk) and it will not feel good afterwards, but in about a week the worst really will be behind you.

It sucks. It really does. You’re already 15% or more through the worst part though, so just hunker down and you’ll make it through!