Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbohydrate intake

I had my gastric bypass surgery on March 21st 2019. Could anyone please give me an idea of the maximum number of carbs I should be taking in daily at this point. I don’t want to be consuming too many.

600 calories is the usual amount given, so maybe 200 per meal if you're on 3 a day.

I don't know for sure the correct number of carbs, I'm guessing it's a percentage of your overall calories. But I do know that if I eat ANY carbs, I immediately gain weight. It's frustrating! I'm researching now about something called "carb sensitivity." I had a taco yesterday, probably 150 calories or less, not sure how many carbs, with an overall calorie count for the day of 750, but the scale went up 1.5 pounds this morning. Stupid carbs!

At one month out of surgery you should concentrate on your Protein intake and Water hydration. Bariatric plate consists of 50% protein, 25% carbs and 25% fat. It means if you use 60g protein daily then your carbs should be about 30g and 30g fat.

20190106_224934.jpg

Screenshot_20190108-152033_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Nice Graphs,, very informative, Thank You Bari___KS

2 hours ago, Kidnurs said:

I had my gastric bypass surgery on March 21st 2019. Could anyone please give me an idea of the maximum number of carbs I should be taking in daily at this point. I don’t want to be consuming too many.

As you can tell, all plans look different. Can you call your dietician and get clarification? Ask for calorie range, carb, Protein and fats goals. When you log your food in baraitastic or myfitnesspal it will go by grams of carbs per day.

WA29064-main-530Wx530H.jpg

Yep. Call the RD.

Mine didn't want me counting carbs (but she already knew I did that anyway). She only wanted me to do:

1. Protein 60-80g/daily

2. Low glycemic veggies (if there was room after the protein).

3. Healthy fat (just a little)

I think I was eating between 300-500 cals about that time per day. Almost all of it was from protein.

Same surgery date! I agree with the poster above that talked about carb sensitivity. At 3 weeks out I had lost about 25 pounds from the day of surgery (I started at 370). At that time I was also progressed to soft foods, not mushies but actual food. I started adding small amounts of mashed potatoes with my salmon or chicken and even about 10 cheez its per day (horrible decision I know. I was quickly greeted with the dreaded stall and then a relatively big gain of 5 pounds. I didn’t immediately realize it was the carbs and assumed it was a lack of Water intake and simply a “to be expected” stall. After chatting with my nutritionist and doing a bit of research on here, I can say that I cannot handle carbs at this stage of my process. Mind you, I was still eating no more than 800 calories per day with the additional carbs. My safe zone seems to be keeping my carbs below 20g and my calories between 600-800. I have now seen my first loss on the scale after almost 10 days. I do plan to incorporate more carbs when I begin working out in one week.

My nutritionist recommends 40-80g net carb per day at the nutrition class. I think that might be once you're on regular food again. I am very carb sensitive so this is fine with me. I spent months counting calories pre op and lost nothing until I started following the carb guidelines. I've only ever lost weight on Keto or Atkins so it's not a shock. My surgery is a month away and I've lost 7 pounds this last week from 297 to 290 staying below 50 g of carbs and 1200 calories. I got down from my highest weight of 315 to 265 on low carb but regained back to 297 after spending months on prednisone for rhuematoid arthritis last year