Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 20 months post op. I've had a difficult 6 months, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, put on a range of medication, including a larger dose of prednisone, methotrexate (which exhausts me) and other medications (so.many.pills). At the moment, my pain is still not under control. Between the pain, fatigue and relentless need to eat (prednisone is awful) and some depression, I started to eat a lot of crap. Slipped back into some bad habits (avoid those slider foods). So I put on weight. At my lowest weight, I was 179 lbs (81kg). Last Wednesday, I realised my weight was back up to 220 lbs (99.5 kg).

Being a metric girl, I did not want to climb over 100kg. I freaked out and put myself back on a high protein/low carb 1000 calories daily allowance. In 4 days, I have lost 10 lbs (4.8kg). My body has responded in a way that really surprised me. I do not think it's healthy to lose 10lbs in 4 days. I have never lost weight this quickly. I am guessing that a lot of this wight loss is bloating/water weight from the medication.

However, I was just wondering if anyone else has fought regain. What are your best tips? Has anyone else experienced a major drop in weight? Now that the sleeve isn't as restrictive, this is feeling like it's going to be a difficult journey. Any tips? Particularly from any veterans? I would love any support.

I'm 2 1/2 years out or close to. Lost 8 stone - down to 8 stone 2 at lowest. People felt I was too thin but I didn't! Now 9 stone 4lbs and still slim (128lbs don't do metrics really!) But aware that I have a very toxic relationship with food. Can lose it quickly - as you've described but then return to bad habits.

I've upped exercise now instead and an going to deal with the sugar next. To me it's just another drug - I'm a recovering alchie and cross addict at the drop of a chocolate bar!

I think it's a long term job so I'm trying not to beat myself up and to observe the unpleasantness sugar causes.

I think about the bucket of dirty Water conundrum - how do you get rid of the dirty water without tipping, syphoning, dipping etc... You do it by adding clean water and slowly the water clears. So I'm concentrating on adding good things just now.

Although I'm also aware I might just have to abstain from processed sugar and products containing it!

Anyway, that may or may not help. Look also at how far you've come. It's a great view isn't it!

35 minutes ago, myfanwymoi said:

I think about the bucket of dirty Water conundrum - how do you get rid of the dirty Water without tipping, syphoning, dipping etc... You do it by adding clean water and slowly the water clears. So I'm concentrating on adding good things just now.

I like this analogy! @myfanwymoi your stats are amazing!

Prior to WLS, I had lost large amounts of weight on 3 or 4 separate occasions, but obviously regained it each time. I knew I would lose weight after WLS, but I was terrified of gaining afterwards. Yet, here I am - 15kg (33lb) up from my lowest weight. I wish there were more veterans on these forums talking about maintenance. Assuming I can lose this weight gain, I want to figure maintenance out.

Hi I am 27 months out.I had made goal fairly quickly in the first year.And had passed it.Then I was hospitalized in my 13th month and was on a liquid diet and constant ivs.I had some weight gain from that and during that year I was on a week of Prednisone.I have been on trials of meds for certain things.My total weight gain was 20 pounds.My surgeon gives a 10 pound grace.I am 10 pounds over.Any help or suggestions would be appreciated thank you

1 hour ago, LaLaDee said:

I like this analogy! @myfanwymoi your stats are amazing!

Prior to WLS, I had lost large amounts of weight on 3 or 4 separate occasions, but obviously regained it each time. I knew I would lose weight after WLS, but I was terrified of gaining afterwards. Yet, here I am - 15kg (33lb) up from my lowest weight. I wish there were more veterans on these forums talking about maintenance. Assuming I can lose this weight gain, I want to figure maintenance out.

Thanks ladeedee - like you I wish there was more for vets. I have a horror of being where I was and am so aware that it's psychology as much as physiology.

I get reactive hypoglycemia if I overeat sugar. It's happened more than once. That statement tells me all I need to know about sugar but I struggle to act on it.

Well done you for your own stats. And maybe the key is gradually changing behaviour rather than back to the see saw. I can do 7lbs in a week intermittent fasting. But I can't sustain it. I need something for everyday that I can comfortably do!

Anyway. We get to give ourselves back pat's. We're doing okay !

Laladee sorry got your name wrong!

5 hours ago, LaLaDee said:

I'm 20 months post op. I've had a difficult 6 months, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, put on a range of medication, including a larger dose of prednisone, methotrexate (which exhausts me) and other medications (so.many.pills). At the moment, my pain is still not under control. Between the pain, fatigue and relentless need to eat (prednisone is awful) and some depression, I started to eat a lot of crap. Slipped back into some bad habits (avoid those slider foods). So I put on weight. At my lowest weight, I was 179 lbs (81kg). Last Wednesday, I realised my weight was back up to 220 lbs (99.5 kg).

Being a metric girl, I did not want to climb over 100kg. I freaked out and put myself back on a high protein/low carb 1000 calories daily allowance. In 4 days, I have lost 10 lbs (4.8kg). My body has responded in a way that really surprised me. I do not think it's healthy to lose 10lbs in 4 days. I have never lost weight this quickly. I am guessing that a lot of this wight loss is bloating/water weight from the medication.

However, I was just wondering if anyone else has fought regain. What are your best tips? Has anyone else experienced a major drop in weight? Now that the sleeve isn't as restrictive, this is feeling like it's going to be a difficult journey. Any tips? Particularly from any veterans? I would love any support.

Sorry for the length of this,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Medications can be difficult on weight loss. On the positive side, You have figured out the key to getting your weight down. It’s finding your calorie and macro range that puts your body in weight loss mode. Low carb and 1000 calories range is working for you. People on this site are going to benefit from your story/experience with getting a gain back down.

I’m no expert. Just from my experience. I was sleeved in 2014. (almost 5 years out) I had my first gain in my third year. I worked it back down. What I have learned over the years.

Getting back in weight loss mode after a gain:

Get rid of temptation foods in your home and go grocery shopping.

Accept that you will feel crappy detoxing off the extra carbs sugar and calories, It will pass.

Log your food and go back to bariatric weight loss basics. Once you found your current calorie range dial them in to where your body starts losing weight again.( I'm 5"5" my range is 950 to 1100 carbs n higher tha 60 grams) If you are not in weight loss mode, Start by logging and dial in your calories back by 100 and adjust your carbs. These numbers will be specific to your body. If you need help setting things up in your food log app ask.

Sleeves will have some extra compacity to fill. Eat dense Protein and the other items allowed on your plan. Eat as much veggies as you like until full. The bulk/fiber will help you feel full. They are low in calories and will keep you in your daily calorie range. This is the trick. Because we can eat more does not mean you have to go over your calories and macros.

Keep healthy sweet and salty options on hand for cravings.

Ditch liquid/soft food protein sources. They will not satisfy hunger (except for on the run/emergency food)

If you are low on time. Meal prep Sundays. Freeze portioned foods for you and the family for the week.

Find some great recipes to get out of food ruts.

Maintenance mode:

THE WORK DOESS NOT END AFTER GOAL!!!!! Maintaining is Keeping an eye on the scale. Don’t let a 20-pound gain become 40 70 100+ pound gain. (*** Newbies*** you will be surprised on how quickly a gain can happen and how slow it comes off years out)

It takes time to adjust getting out of the bariatric rules of what’s good and bad mindset –

You will be adding carbs to slow stop your weight loss

Yes, you get to indulge with in reason. Know what foods may trigger you. Notice if they lead you down a path to over consume and gain.

Give yourself a bounce range to maintain. (I maintain a ten pound bounce up and down the scale)

When you gain your bounce range, go back to bariatric basis to get it back off

Over the years. We tend to get lax, old behaviors and stress eating can slip back in. Don’t beat yourself up. Anyone of us can gain. Come back here for support. Join a weight loss challenge.

My reality is I log. I’ve tried to guess my way and it just does not work for me. Especially when I go back to weight loss mode. For those of you who maintain without logging I give it up to you.

Find what works for you.

This is ridiculous, yes, I’m not done.

I know how weight gain messes with your head. Depression, shame beating yourself up. Much of getting back on track is the mental battles. If your struggling Talk it out with us, find a counselor, find some books on the issues your battling.

Night snacking is my battle – some of my go to items - veggie tray with hummus, strawberries dipped in Hershey’s sugar free Syrup or sugar free popsicles. Nip it in the bud and stop.

Exercise/ increase your activity. Find what you enjoy. Do it even on days you don’t want to. Below is my reason why I get it in. Video "where does the fat go when you lose weight?"

48 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Medications can be difficult on weight loss. On the positive side, You have figured out the key to getting your weight down. It’s finding your calorie and macro range that puts your body in weight loss mode Low carb and 1000 calories range is working for you. People on this site are going to benefit from your story/experience with getting a gain back down.

I’m no expert. Just from my experience. I was sleeved in 2014. (almost 5 years out) I had my first gain in my third year. I worked it back down. What I have learned over the years.

Accept that you will feel crappy detoxing off the extra carbs sugar and calories, It will pass.

Log your food and go back to bariatric weight loss basics. Once you found your current calorie range dial them back by 100 to see where your body starts losing weight again.( I'm 5"5" my range is 950 to 1100 carbs n higher tha 60 grams) If you are not in weight loss mode, Start by logging and dial in your calories back by 100 and adjust your carbs. These numbers will be specific to your body. If you need help setting things up in your food log app ask.

Sleeves will have some extra compacity to fill. Eat dense Protein and the other items allowed on your plan. Eat as much veggies as you like until full. The bulk/fiber will help you feel full. They are low in calories and will keep you in your daily calorie range. This is the trick. Because we can eat more does not mean you have to go over your calories and macros.

Ditch liquid/soft food Protein sources. They will not satisfy hunger (except for on the run/emergency food)

If you are low on time. Meal prep Sundays. Freeze portioned foods for you and the family for the week.

Maintenance mode:

THE WORK DOESS NOT END AFTER GOAL!!!!! Maintaining is Keeping an eye on the scale. Don’t let a 20-pound gain become 40 70 100+ pound gain. (*** Newbies*** you will be surprised on how quickly a gain can happen and how slow it comes off years out)

It takes time to adjust getting out of the bariatric rules of what’s good and bad mindset –

Yes, you get to indulge with in reason. Know what foods may trigger you. Notice if they lead you down a path to over consume and gain.

Give yourself a bounce range to maintain. (I maintain a ten pound bounce up and down the scale)

Over the years. We tend to get lax, old behaviors and stress eating can slip back in. Don’t beat yourself up. Anyone of us can gain. Come back here for support. Join a weight loss challenge.

My reality is I log. I’ve tried to guess my way and it just does not work for me. Especially when I go back to weight loss mode. For those of you who maintain without logging I give it up to you.

Find what works for you.

Being a newbie, I really appreciate this advice.

5 hours ago, LaLaDee said:

Yet, here I am - 15kg (33lb) up from my lowest weight. I wish there were more veterans on these forums talking about maintenance.

I think weight gain because of medication is something different than "the usual" regain so even if there were more veterans talking about this issue it might very well be that it's not helping you. However, maybe there are some veterans on this board who need to take similar meds and still maintain?

Is there a chance that your meds can be reduced again in the future?

Assuming I can lose this weight gain, I want to figure maintenance out.

There seem to be different strategies. I notice that several veterans talk about how they maintain their weight. It can usually be found in the threads about regain.

Sorry you are struggling! And for the RA dx!

I'm not a VET yet, so can't give you vet-like response, but want you to know I think you're on the road to getting it figured out!!!!

9 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Medications can be difficult on weight loss. On the positive side, You have figured out the key to getting your weight down. It’s finding your calorie and macro range that puts your body in weight loss mode. Low carb and 1000 calories range is working for you. People on this site are going to benefit from your story/experience with getting a gain back down.

Log your food and go back to bariatric weight loss basics. Once you found your current calorie range dial them in to where your body starts losing weight again.( I'm 5"5" my range is 950 to 1100 carbs n higher tha 60 grams) If you are not in weight loss mode, Start by logging and dial in your calories back by 100 and adjust your carbs. These numbers will be specific to your body. If you need help setting things up in your food log app ask.

Ditch liquid/soft food Protein sources. They will not satisfy hunger (except for on the run/emergency food)

Maintenance mode:

Find what works for you.

Thank you so much. Everything you said is 100% right. I’m so glad I have come back to bariatric pal for some support. I’m trying to go back to bariatric basics. No Water while I eat. Protein, protein, protein. Getting to goal is nowhere near as hard as maintenance. I have to accept that always going to be dealing with my “food issues”. Have to be vigilant!

Thank you all for the nice comments and suggestions.I had RNY Gastric Bypass 1/26/2017.On lots of meds especially for reflux and pancreas enzymes and IBS.I agree with the whole med issue and weight gain it is tough.That does not help with losing weight or maintaining loss.Some meds if not taken the risks are greater than the outcome of not taking them.

I've gone low carb/low calorie for about a week now, and the scale is still saying I've dropped 5.4kg or 11lb.

It will sound crazy (after just a week), but I do feel somehow lighter. Also I forgot how much I like the taste of some of healthy recipes! I even experimented in the kitchen and made "pork egg roll in a bowl" last night. It was great!

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/pork-egg-roll-in-a-bowl-crack-slaw-paleo-low-carb-whole30/

I was eating so many carbs before. Entire bags of potato chips and feeling really sad about it. All my chocolate (gifted by my family at Easter) or purchased during the great binge is still sitting in my fridge. I know I need to get rid of it so I'm not tempted.

My head is all over the place at the moment, but I'm hoping to have another good week (though I am definitely not expecting to lose weight after losing so much this week).

Hope everyone else is doing well!