Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To tell or not to tell

So I'm having the sleeve done in August.. I have only told a few select friends and family members I told them to keep it hush hush... I haven't even shared it on social media it's been a long year to get done with all my pre test and labs in order to get approved.. Did you guys tell your FB friends yes or no......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

I started with immediate family and a very few friends and got some really hurtful responses. I am getting sleeved in June and don’t plan on announcing it on social media at all. I just don’t need any more negativity when this process is hard enough!

Nope, I haven't told anyone but my husband. Don't want the drama or judgmental comments.

I started with immediate family and a very few friends and got some really hurtful responses. I am getting sleeved in June and don’t plan on announcing it on social media at all. I just don’t need any more negativity when this process is hard enough!
Sorry to hear that you got negativity...
Congrats on your journey to get approved I know the struggle it took me 1 year exactly to get approved.. from initial consult to operation date

19 minutes ago, big_ange said:

Sorry to hear that you got negativity...
Congrats on your journey to get approved I know the struggle it took me 1 year exactly to get approved.. from initial consult to operation date

Thanks! I am trying to provide education to those who aren't supportive, but like I heard from a physician that specializes in obesity management, weight loss surgery is a lot like politics. You can find tons of supporting information in favor of or against weight loss surgery, and when someone picks a side it is nearly impossible to change their opinion. I am still very confident in my decision, and looking forward to a new life with something (my new stomach) always there to keep me accountable.

Hi.

I am having the VSG this month. I have not 'screamed it from the rooftops' but most people know what I am doing. I have had more negativity than positivity. I ignore the negativity. The fact is that most people are afraid to see others succeed because the 'world' has taught us that 'more is better' and if someone succeeds, they somehow we 'lose' something, they fear 'lack'. However, this world is plentiful and there is room for everyone to succeed. So I ignore it and go about my business because 'they' are not me. Hope this helps. (I will probably need my own advice, again) lol

Teri

My surgery is May 2 and I went the absolutely the other way. I started a website and blogs about the surgery and how my life is changing and what I'm learning in this process. It has been very affirming and therapeutic, but I'm also laying it out there and cutting off the nay-sayers at the pass. I know this is excessive for some people, but it is working for me.

www.itsaneducation.weebly.com

I am having surgery tomorrow and don't see the need to tell people about my medical procedures. None of my coworkers know. I told one friend and she was not enthusiastic and she have never asked how the process is going no matter how often we talk. My two older children knows and they are very happy that I made the decision. No other family members know. I befriended one girl who had the surgery and she is super supportive. The only other person is my EX who never judged my weight and also is very supportive.

In the beginning, I only told my husband and a few trusted friends. Today, I generally admit to it if someone asks me, but I do not advertise it. Aside from the obvious, here on BariatricPal, I have not discussed it in any social media and don't plan to. This is not out of shame or anything, I just felt as if this was a private affair. No one has any reason to know except those I trust with it.

Funny, people don't ask you how you gained all that weight. But they're all up in your face when they see you succeeding, wanting to know what you've done.

I've told my husband, my best friend and her son (who live next door), and a very few select other people whom I trust completely. I have NOT told my father (who I am in a cold war with and I hope to gawd my mother in-law doesn't say anything to him either)! I have NOT told my work. What I have said to my work is that when I return in August (I'm a high school teacher) that I may have a few health issues but have NOT told them for what. I've kept it really, really vague just saying that is was too embarrassing to talk about. I added though that I will be visiting doctors quite regularly and would like that to be taken into consideration for planning my schedule for the next school year. The rest I'll take as it comes...

On 4/27/2019 at 2:14 PM, big_ange said:

So I'm having the sleeve done in August.. I have only told a few select friends and family members I told them to keep it hush hush... I haven't even shared it on social media it's been a long year to get done with all my pre test and labs in order to get approved.. Did you guys tell your FB friends yes or no......

Social media, this is the only place I talk about bariatrics.

I told my husband, kids and my supportive friends.

There is plenty of information promoting bariatrics. My input is not needed. I don’t want or feel the need to be the spokesmen for bariatrics. Google About 3,930,000 results (0.52 seconds)

Is your weight loss surgery really going to be a secret?

You can’t hide rapid weight loss. People are going to speculate, and some may confront you about weight loss surgery. It’s your choice on what you want to disclose. People are going to make weight loss a main topic in your conversations. It will stop after your weight settles around goal.