Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Out Of a Stall

So the scale is finally moving again after stalling for a whole month.

Even though I was supportive and encouraging to others in the forum who were experiencing stalls, deep inside I was jealous of the ones who've lost 90 pounds in 6 months and I've only lost 35 pounds in 4 months and have been stalled for 30 freaking days. I was secretly discouraged.

So I decided to try something different to shake things up. I went back to just drinking Protein Shakes and no food, 170 calories each x 4 shakes a day = 680 calories. Sure enough, the scale has finally started to move downward!

I don't think I was doing anything wrong before. I was eating around 850 calories, getting exercise 4 days a week, drinking enough Water and getting in 60 g of Protein each day.

I guess it was just a natural stall point. But so happy to finally see the scale moving. I've been within 3 pounds of entering Onederland for a whole month and finally can see that I might make it there in a few days.

Congratulations @GradyCat!

I am only post op week 3 so I don't know much - a former co-worker of mine was a 'slow loser'.

She was actually the person who began to talk to me about wls...she told me that her son had vsg and hit his goal weight in 6 months, which ticked her off 😋.

It took my former colleague who had bypass 18 months to reach her goal weight - she lost 120 pounds. To me, she is a total success story and I really admire her for sticking to her lifestyle and staying focused. She has been at goal weight for almost 15 years.

I must admit though I tell myself each day I'm sticking to the plan and weight will eventually come off I am happy for and a tad bit jealous of the people who are all, 'I lost twenty pounds in two weeks post op'.

I just keep telling myself just focus on the plan, but I think you are amazing, too. You are always upbeat and supportive.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:29 AM, GradyCat said:

So the scale is finally moving again after stalling for a whole month.

Even though I was supportive and encouraging to others in the forum who were experiencing stalls, deep inside I was jealous of the ones who've lost 90 pounds in 6 months and I've only lost 35 pounds in 4 months and have been stalled for 30 freaking days. I was secretly discouraged.

So I decided to try something different to shake things up. I went back to just drinking Protein Shakes and no food, 170 calories each x 4 shakes a day = 680 calories. Sure enough, the scale has finally started to move downward!

I don't think I was doing anything wrong before. I was eating around 850 calories, getting exercise 4 days a week, drinking enough Water and getting in 60 g of Protein each day.

I guess it was just a natural stall point. But so happy to finally see the scale moving. I've been within 3 pounds of entering Onederland for a whole month and finally can see that I might make it there in a few days.

How exciting @GradyCat !!! And I never got a hint of your frustrations in your posts!! You are one of the most encouraging and uplifting posters on here! I am SO happy for you 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

And i, Grady Cat and Dana, have the opposite problem, I have suddenly started losing 2 pounds a week after being the poster child for Pokey Little Puppy, I'm just scared it may not last. What did I suddenly do right to cause this? If I knew, I sure would have done it sooner!👈😋👉

24 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

And i, Grady Cat and Dana, have the opposite problem, I have suddenly started losing 2 pounds a week after being the poster child for Pokey Little Puppy, I'm just scared it may not last. What did I suddenly do right to cause this? If I knew, I sure would have done it sooner!👈😋👉

Maybe you’re body just got to the point it felt healthy enough to stop hanging on to everything ! You’ve had more than your fair share of trials! I’m very happy for you 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Yeah And now I can cheer even better for others because I'm not an outlier after all! Did I tell either of you I did drop 30 pounds the month of March? Really did, when they removed my PICC line and I was no longer getting the artificially high calories of TPN, I think the count was 1403 daily, I dropped Ka- thud. I had not stalled but I was losing maybe a pound a month, but whooee, when they weighed me April 4th before my arm/shoulder repair,i made them do it 3 times because I disbelieved them. I bet I was the talk of Ambulatory Surgery after I left that day! See I had a titanium plate and 12 screws placed when I severely broke my humerus, my upper arm bone in a Workmans Comp accident 9 years ago. Who would have thought it would become less stable from weight loss? That's something I never considered until it happened to me. Big enough it had to be another open incision, so while Dr Doolittle was in there he decided to look around at my internal anatomy. And surprise surprise only one tendon was holding my rotator cuff in place, didn't want to bring me back in for more surgery in a couple months so did a complete repair and that's what hurts like a son-of-a-gun! With just the simple hardware removal it would have been par with a skinned knee in pain, but this other, well we're allowing an extra month to heal up than usual. So no pushing ,pulling lifting, and arm no higher than straight in front.And I am in a sling for 6 weeks minimum, ever try putting on one, getting it cinched right, the Goldilocks way, not too high on the chest,not too low, not too tight but tight enough it does flip. And I try by myself because I'm a bull-headed redhead who doesn't want to be a burden. And then I get flustered and frazzled and finally let my son help. Age does slow this kind of surgery healing down , normally at a month I should be finger-crawllng up the wall in PT, no PT before it's time, wants to make sure I'm totally knitted back together. Joked with me at my 2-week checkup "When do you want me to do your Left shoulder?" see we had already been putting shots in there, didn't expect the Right to flare up. Told him" Not yet , Kenny- Bob, you play TOO rough!"
His real middle name isn't Robert just my pet name for him, he's been with me since 2010, long time so we're sorta friends now. He told me when I was there for my pre-surgical appointment I cried, he said he never saw me cry before, not even with the badly broke arm. Said I seemed so stoic, I could handle anything, well that's how bad it was hurting before this surgery. So it is painful now but I am not praying to die so I don't feel it anymore. And I will get better, sleep at night with it on its own pillow, hurts less and I don't try to turn over in my sleep that way! Still only getting 3-4 hours than I got to get up, go sit in the recliner and pop some Tylenol. Oh I still have Norco in the house, not afraid of it being an opioid, it just constipates me to the INTH degree, and I DO NOT WANT THAT!

And with the meds in a different room I can't accidently overdose on something while I'm sleepy!

This is so great...I was going to jump on and ask everyone about their experiences with “stalls” and the first topic I see is about just that :) I’m three weeks post-op so very new to all of this. My boyfriend went through wls a year ago but I know everyone is very different in comparison. During the first two weeks I lost 18lbs. I was really surprised and happy! The last couple of days though my scale hasn’t moved. I’m just wondering, what things will make you lose at a slower or faster rate?