Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

(ms.sss) 6 Month Post-op Update

I had gastric sleeve surgery on October 24, 2018.
So that makes today my 6 month post op anniversary.

It's been a crazy experience so far, this weight loss surgery thing. I am still amazed sometimes at how much my life has changed for the better.

I started off at 235 lbs on Oct 10, 2018 (start of my 2wk pre-op liquid diet) and am now 138.1 lbs, which means I lost 96.9 lbs (or 41% of my TOTAL body weight) since October 10th. Crazy.

Went from a BMI of 43.2 (morbidly obese) to 25.4 (almost a normal 25!)

Chest-Waist-Hips measurements (in inches) went from 48 - 431/2 - 491/2 to 35 - 29 - 361/2

Off all prescription meds, no longer pre-diabetic nor do I have a fatty liver anymore. And Mr. is so very happy that I stopped snoring (like a freight train, apparently) the day after surgery.

I feel stronger, more confident, more energized and more.....AWESOME.

Of course there are some downsides:

• Alot of my hair has fallen out (but I *think* it has stopped and new teeny hairs seem to be spouting...but this may just be wishful thinking lol)
  • My arms are pretty saggy. Though I am already shopping around for surgeons to get this fixed, hopefully by the fall.
  • I am trying to wean myself off of my PPI and it is proving to be an unpleasant task. I've only been at it for a week and a bit, so I'm still holding out hope that it will turn around soon.
  • I have a love-hate relationship with my toilet as far as pooping goes.

But for the record, I would still do this all again in a heartbeat.

I am more than pleased with my progress so far and credit it with the following:
** Disclaimer: the following works for ME, and may not jive with others' way of doing things...**

• Tracking and recording EVERYTHING I eat and drink
  • Weighing myself every morning (and track fat, lean body mass percentages)
  • Take my body measurements once a week
  • Try to get 70g of Protein a day (don't always make this)
  • Drink at least 2.5 litres of Water a day
  • Keep net carbs to less than 20g per day
  • Go to bed on an empty stomach
  • Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep at night (don't always make this either)
  • Exercise of some form or another for at least 1 hour every day
  • ...and when I can, get said exercise in before I have my first meal of the day.

I had already surpassed my doc's projected goal for me back in January, and I am about 18 lbs from my own personal goal and am pretty excited about it :), though I may be more excited about getting rid of these bat wings.

That’s awesome. I’m four months out and have only lost 60 so I don’t think I’ll lose as much as you at 6 months. Congrats! When did your hair start coming out? I haven’t had that. My dr promised me that if I got 100 grams of Protein a day I wouldn’t lose it and I was pretty faithful to that. After my 3 month appt they said I could back it down to 80. I also don’t exercise as much as you. That is something I definitely need to step up. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Wickedwinner said:

That’s awesome. I’m four months out and have only lost 60 so I don’t think I’ll lose as much as you at 6 months. Congrats! When did your hair start coming out? I haven’t had that. My dr promised me that if I got 100 grams of Protein a day I wouldn’t lose it and I was pretty faithful to that. After my 3 month appt they said I could back it down to 80. I also don’t exercise as much as you. That is something I definitely need to step up. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At four months I was down a little over 70 lbs, so you know, I wouldn't write it off :)

You're so lucky your hair is staying put. My hair started falling out in January (3 months post-op), I cut it all off in response. It doesn't look as thin when its shorter. I was at 80g of Protein at first and was dropped to 70g by my team in January (lol, I wonder if that is a coincidence). But the hair shedding does seem to have stopped, so I'm hopeful.

Edited by ms.sss

Congratulations @ms.sss!!! You’re an inspiration for sure !!

I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to have the bat wing surgery as well. I still have not lost much in my arms *impatiently waiting!!*

Are you using any shaper wear? I found one I like but not sure how tolerable it will be once the summer temps heat up

Absolutely Awesome. I am approaching 6 months myself ( May 8th) and am super excited to see where i land. Your update is so inspirational.. I may have to use some of your notes to get enough Water, track food. I do keep carbs to a min but tracking is my evil partner LOL.. Great Job on all you have accomplished!

2 hours ago, DanaC84 said:

Are you using any shaper wear? I found one I like but not sure how tolerable it will be once the summer temps heat up

I don't use any shaper wear, per se, but I do wear tank tops/camisoles underneath my tops all the time, but for warmth, lol. Oddly enough, my arms look just fine when they are down against the sides my body, and also look fine when I hold they straight up as in "stick 'em up"-raised, but man, anywhere in between these two positions, it looks like I'm ready to take off and fly. The Kid says I could just wrap the excess skin around my arm and tape it in place. Nice visual, eh?

I did a quick google on arm shapers just now, and I just may invest in one, if anything they could at least keep me warmer. Which one did you like?

3 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I don't use any shaper wear, per se, but I do wear tank tops/camisoles underneath my tops all the time, but for warmth, lol. Oddly enough, my arms look just fine when they are down against the sides my body, and also look fine when I hold they straight up as in "stick 'em up"-raised, but man, anywhere in between these two positions, it looks like I'm ready to take off and fly. The Kid says I could just wrap the excess skin around my arm and tape it in place. Nice visual, eh?

I did a quick google on arm shapers just now, and I just may invest in one, if anything they could at least keep me warmer. Which one did you like?

Ha! Oddly enough, I was thinking about this. That we ought to invent skin tape for the arms like they have to pull up eyes and foreheads for "instant facelifts."

9 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Ha! Oddly enough, I was thinking about this. That we ought to invent skin tape for the arms like they have to pull up eyes and foreheads for "instant facelifts."

OMG. Looks like they already did!!

https://www.instantlifts.com/online-store/Skinnies-Instant-Arms-Lift-Bye-Bye-Flabby-Arms-Need-a-Short-Sleeve-to-Cover-p8473037

830318553.thumb.jpg.134d02436b71a664d6763d756e0c5524.jpg

2 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Are you ordering it? :D

24 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Too funny about tape! The one I ordered that was just sleeves rolled down some at the top and made it very uncomfortable. This is the one I ordered although I do wish it was 3/4 sleeve . And could they have found a skinnier model?!! 🤦🏼‍♀️

SlimMe Reach Arm Slimming Sleeve Shaper - Women's Shapewear Nude Shapewear Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDSXEE4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_c1mWCbPHTK2F7

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Are you ordering it? :D

$20 for tape? No thanks, I've got duct tape in my kitchen drawer. McGyver approved. 😆

And you can use for so many other things also! They make Duck Tape brand in Avon, Ohio, makes my Buckeye. ❤beat scarlet and gray to think of it!

Oh wow, you're an inspiration

Yeah I agree @ms..sss has done some pretty cool stats there for her 6 months. I hear her on the hair, mine sticks up in the air in the morning. WSYX, our ABC affliate in Columbus, has a pair of Osprey(fish hawks£ that nest every year in their tower because they have a glorified pond called Broadcast Lake on their premesis. Well every year they attempt to raise a clutch of eggs. Last year 2 of the 3 they did raise. So Sinclair€ named for the owning broadcast group) and Felicia( because of course. she's a Fish Hawk) raised Junior and Sissy Osprey in 2018. On the few years a third egg hatches, it's Bubba m Anyway the anchors think the babies are so cute, they have a tuft of baby hair sticking up, look scrawny and uncoordinated when first hatched. If their hair was red instead of grayish we would resemble each other in the AM. The thinnest areas of hair for me are the crown of my head and my bangs have gotten pretty whispy Tried using some gel yesterday., made 8t look like someone blew their nose on my heads Guess I will revert to just warm Water, a comb,instead of a brush, and hope I don't frighten the small children and horses in the street! Other people who know me say I am looking GOOD, gosh was I that bad before? So I love/ hate my appearance in the mirror almost as much as the porcelain fixture.
Still having trouble with the solider foods, even though I chew to a gray pulp or I think I do. So I go back to Soups with Protein piwder mixed in , cooked carrots, peas occasionally, brocolli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, they are usually a hit in Chez Frustr8, green Beans. Made some homemade Cauli-Broccoli Soup with lower fat cheese stirred in. Also have pureed 15 bean soup with Turkey Ham in it, good with a pinch of cheese on top, sorta like refried beans. A bowl of diet pudding. made maybe every other day, and in a Rubbermaid container with lid. Thi,long of making diet raspberry Jello with unsweetened applesauce in it, maybe put in muffin cups in bottom of fridge.
Well I started out with BMI of 50+, now down to 34-35, is that okay for 8 months out? Means I am now merely obese instead of MORBIDLY so, think my planned goal is still in " overweight" instead of " Normal" , okay by me, to reach there I would be 140, that would be TOO DURN LOW and I suspect unsustainable for this Old Broad. I might gave been that size at 13-14 years old, Eisenhower was probably President then. Long ago, Far away, I belonged to the 4H, Girl Scouts, was playing basketball and softball , catching baseball with guys in the neighborhood,otherwise they couldn't field a team, and none of the guys liked catching in the first place, wanted to pitch or play fielder. Actually fought over having to play infield positions.